FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spotted bay bass 101

+4
david886720
kobra
kin
Jerdon
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Spotted bay bass 101 Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Ok guys so with weather and being in between jobs and dealing with my gf getting ready to work over seas for a year i thought it would be a good time for me to post an article while sidelined im lazy so you wont get the punctuation some words may be misspelled i really dont care what you get is 100 % game changing info that can bring you into the 10% that catch the 90 % because i feel this is a bit lop sided at the moment well here it is throwing you other cali guys a bone keep in mind these are not suggestions or theories this is proven facts of what i have seen first hand and there is no room for error its not even close this is a fixed system that allows you to use your gear as an advantage

Spotted bay bass are notorius short biters everyone knows that but what if you were missing 100s of bites a day you never had a chance of detecting when i was a kid i read the book fish have no hands by mike gardner he explained alot to me and although i dont agree with the lures he used and times have changed his fundamentals of bite detection as well as what an ideal set up for spotties is still remains a vital part of how i go about selecting gear from the line to the action and power rating there is not even the slightest room for error or you are immediately costing urself fish little by little .

To fish spotties day in and day out i feel you need 3 set ups that will accomidate the 3 different enviroments and approaches i take in each and the more you spend on the rod the more fish you catch period sensitivity is crucial and your rod needs to be extremely parabolic to keep the rod loaded up how it needs to be when you get a big one and they start doing the death roll

Those 3 are as follows

1. Number one will be used in all enviroments it needs to be atleast 7'3 medium heavy moderate fast extremely parabolic but with enough backbone to get a good hookset my choice for this is the phenix m1 mh 7'4 8-17 lb 1/4-3/4 oz
But any mid grade crankbait rod will do if it has the length and sensitivity this is paired with a diawa tatula spooled with 30 lb max quatro or 20 lb regular power pro tied to 10 or 12 lb red label seaguar fluoro going any higher will cause you to lose distance sensitivity and will cost you fish this is my most used rod i throw my 3/8 oz coolbaits all my swimbaits from 1/4- 1/2 oz smaller warblades jerkbaits and larger t- rigs on this rod i can feel the blade on the coolbait ticking the grass so i know when im gonna get bit or if i have a clean presentation so im not wasting time with grass on my baits this is extremely dialed and you cant beat it its a fixed system

2. Number two is a spinning rod i care less about the quality but the action and line are crucial i use a 6'9 medium light clarus with a 2500 size shimano spooled with 10 lb power pro tied to 4-8 lb fluoro depending on visibility this is used mostly around docks when fish are keyed in on small baits and also to throw the 3/16 coolbaits with there trailer as well as small texas rigged gulp ghost shrimp and tiny keitech eazy shiners on tiny football heads and darter heads and any other finesse presentation i dont drop shot for spotties but if i did i would use this rod

3. Number 3 this is my most versatile tool my fish finder for me its a phenix m1 8'2 mh 2-6 oz you could go lighter or shorter by one power or length but this is what i throw my axeblade/sebile tailspins and a rigs on i pair it with a diawa coastal with 50 lb max quatro with either 15 lb fluro leader for the tailspins or tied straight braid to the a rig

There are 3 different enviroments that i fish for these fish and i dont use the same approach for each

1. Eelgrass- isolated eel grass is best what i mean by that is right in the middle of nowhere where alot of you wouldnt think to look in the dead center of the channels or back bays i will start by throwing the a rig to locate either a fish or grass either is good because once i find it i can pick it apart by slow rolling the tailspins and coolbaits over it and once i get a few go to the swimbait to make sure i got all the fish off that patch i texas rig when the grass is slightly higher the tide is low or if im having trouble fishing the swimbait through it i prefer 6-10 feet of fishable water above the grass on a low tide that seems to be best for eelgrass

2. Docks harbors boat slips launch ramps. Docks and harbors can be the best place for a giant. A spottie is more then happy to stay on one dock its whole life if it can feed effectively and docks house a large population of shellfish mussels crabs etc as well as smelt mostly smaller but it depends this is where the spinning rod shines using lighter weight baits can be deadly around docks the fish will sit under them in the shade and if you throw a tiny keitech with a tiny little darter head they cant resist hitting it because it falls so slow so i will almost never straight retrive i will bounce it like a jig i also love the 3 inch swimbait texas rig creature bait and the small underspin around the docks as well as curly tail grubs on small football heads 1/8 oz or less deadly on the fall the key around docks is definitely getting hit on the fall

3. Bridges pilings man made concrete structures docks on the deeper side this is where the swimbait and curly tail still shine usually this is extremely current based you gotta have flow or these will be slow but when the tide and currents are right you can catch alot of fish and you seem to have a chance at bigger sand bass or maybe a calico drop shotting can be deadly in these situations as well as the good old 3/8 oz warbait with a 3 inch mc

I hope you guys keep this in mind and refer back to it when in need

Frank

2Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:07 pm

If you guys have a certain bait you feel confident in you can apply it within the system

3Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Hey frankd619 , thanks for sharing this.

4Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:14 pm

You are welcome

5Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:20 pm

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great write up! Any suggestions on Texas rigging in eelgrass? And any advice in running Carolina rigs?

6Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Whenever i texas rig in the grass i run a fluke with the smallest weight i can find or the gulp ghost shrimp on 8 or 10 lb

7Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:10 pm

They will hit it like they just blind sided a live bait so be ready to dip your rod to let them get it and swing hard while winding fast

8Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:12 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Awesome write up Frank. Thanks for shareing.

9Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:40 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

While you are sharing; what length is your leader and what knots do you use?

10Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:28 am

3 -4 feet of flouro i use a rp knot

11Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 pm

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great write up frank. Thanks for sharing this. I learned some useful facts for sure.

12Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:43 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Thanx for sharing your information on how to be a part of the 10% of fishermen that catch 90% of the fish.
We all appreciate the time that you spent to type this all out for us.

I look forward to using your suggestions and to casting the Coolbait and the Texas-rigs thru some local eel grass beds this weekend. I'm looking forward to my first hook set!!

PS ... I hope that your desired once-in-a-life-time employment opportunity will find you soon! Thumbs Up

SP Dan <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

13Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:22 pm

If there's anything that "sets me off" on a forum, it's the lack of effort to properly punctuate, form proper sentences and paragraphs, and capitilze.

However, when the content is so good and helpful....I don't mind as much at all.

This qualifies. It's totally useless information for me right now, but thanks for sharing, and I'm sure it's good info and will help a bunch of folks.

BTW: Other than a few capitalization omissions, and punctuation, very  well composed and easily read. Good job. Thanks for sharing.

14Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:55 am

singletrack

singletrack
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Just a quick question. Do I need to cast my Coolbait into the water to catch fish?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPxZQaZknKgs79MOETz5frQ

15Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:53 am

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

singletrack wrote:Just a quick question.  Do I need to cast my Coolbait into the water to catch fish?

Anyone else would, singletrack, but for you... just give them a peek at it and they'll jump into your lap. Wink

16Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:39 am

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Frank.. How often do you fish for Spotted Sand Bass (The correct name of this fish)? And if you could only afford one general purpose fishing rod for the bays, what it be?

17Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:04 am

Been fishing since i was a kid fresh and salt at an elite level by the time i was 10 i was one of the better fisherman wherever i would go ideal set up phenix m1 7'4 mh

18Spotted bay bass 101 Empty Re: Spotted bay bass 101 Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:46 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

frankd619 wrote:3 -4 feet of flouro i use a rp knot
I did knot want to ask how to tie this knot here. (did you see what I did there) so I found this online

Alberto / John Collins / Royal Polaris / "RP" knot.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I like the "RP" knot and it is much easier to tie than the FG knot that I had been using.

Thanks again.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum