FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where to go for float tube fishing - Dana Point

+4
Jerdon
mthaubs
GT
Ornery Bob
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Bassin’ Rich wanted to hit Dana Point, so we met up at Baby Beach and had a great time. We did OK in the harbor, Rich better than I, but out at the end of the jetty we ran into a pretty decent calico bass bite with lots of dinks and a couple of quality fish.

I normally like to get in close to the rocks and fish out to deeper water, but doing that on the open water side of the jetty would have been suicide, so we bobbed along in the waves and wakes and fished the rocks from the outside.

When we were fishing the inner marina, I saw a couple of kids in float tubes catching mackerel by the handful at the bait barge. They were having a great time and it made me smile to see the young ones enjoying this great sport.

All in all a good day and Dana Point is definitely a great place for float tube fishing!

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks Bob...........great day......GT

mthaubs

mthaubs
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

My cousin just posted a week or so ago about a 13 ft great white in that Harbor. You are crazy. I will stick to fresh water. I like my toes. Shocked

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Shark attacks happen in California at the rate of 1 per 738 MILLION beach visits. 

It's 2.5 times easier to win the Powerball. 

It isn't crazy to tube the salt- it's crazy to think that your fear of being attacked by a shark is reasonable.

I'm aware that shark *sightings* are up and I'm also aware that shark attacks are not. I'm not crazy, I'm informed.

Peace

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Dana Point Harbor looks like good fishing!

Thanks for sharing.

The salt water guys have a firm belief those sharks on't come in he harbor. I'm 56 and remember when fisherman killed those Great-whites in the 8 to 12 foot range. For the last 20 years or so we stopped. Now there are more GW sightings in SoCal than in anytime of recorded history.

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

You also have to take into account the seal/sea lion growth along So Cal coast.........where their is food you will have predators....GT

Troutbum

Troutbum
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks for the report! Got to get out!

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for the report. I used to jetty hop that place religiously. If you kick further north along the jetty (about 1/4 ways north), there's a beginning of a drop off that stops about the 1/2 way point. I've personally seen yellows cruise that jetty along with huge sheepshead. Keep in mind, if you intend to fish that jetty more often, bring heavier sticks/gear. I have been rocked and heartbroken on 50braid/50leader with my drag buttoned down. Been a while since I've been out so your video really is giving me the itch.

tesscar

FTFF Gathering Officer

Wow! Very informative video on fishing DP. Thanks!

--Dave

mthaubs

mthaubs
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Sounds cool good luck. I can't wait to see the pictures

SP Dan

SP Dan

"It isn't crazy to tube the salt- it's crazy to think that your fear of being attacked by a shark is reasonable".
I agree with you Bob even though; and I have to admit it, the scary thought of it has crossed my mind. lol
What I do get messed-with are the harbor seals, but not that often. They're mostly just curious.

What I do think is crazy ... is not wearing your PFD's out there, and I'm a strong swimmer with a back ground in "water survival training" while in the USMC Special Forces.
I totally understand that the USCG only requires that we have a USCG approved PFD "with us" and not necessarily "on us" while tubing and that it's also a personal choice. I get it but I don't recommend it. Just my added 2-cents.

Thanks for the educational tour video on fishing the Dana Point Harbor.  Thumbs Up

I've spent a lot of time down there on the Doheny State Beach sands; while fishing with Team SWAT, hauling in legal Hali's but I've never FT fished the harbor or wall, in any capacity. Hmmmm! It sounds like a lot of fun and possibly a new adventure for me and one for my to-do bucket list.
The next time that you head down that way ... throw me an invite.

I do remember that the weekends can get super crazy busy down there with all the people, so one does need to get there early for the best parking.

Thanx  Cool ,

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum