FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Murray 3/20
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:55 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by david886720 Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:53 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:21 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by BobBfishin Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:48 pm

» Pre rigging stinger hooks
by jeffcpr Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:08 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Umbrella rig
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Live scope in your glasses
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Pre rigging stinger hooks
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are The Inner-harbor Waters Producing Safe Fish For Consuming??

+2
TobyB
SP Dan
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SP Dan

SP Dan

This is what I heard:

That the mercury levels and harmful-metal levels in most of the bottom feeding fish in the "inner harbor" are too high or unsafe for consuming.
I also heard that Sardines and Mackerel have the lowest levels and that they are the safest to consume.

Maybe someone out there could research this topic and post the actual facts for the anglers that consider keeping their catch from the inner harbors.
Maybe they could rate each of the harbors from the safest to the least safest waters to keep fish from.

I would be interested in knowing the actual truth; and end the hear-say rumors that I hear, about the waters that I fish.
Maybe some else out there would be as interested as well.
Anyone?

Personally ... I'm 100% catch and release.

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

That would be great information. Personally I don't keep anything I catch from the harbors.

mthaubs

mthaubs
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Here is a great article to read. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SP Dan

SP Dan

Thanx[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's one that I located for our coastal waters:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It has a break down of how much we are allowed to safely consume, which species to consume and which species not to consume in our coastal waters.
I want to believe that these findings also holds true (and more) with our inner harbor waters.

I want to believe that our inner harbor waters may hold even higher levels of DDTs, PCBs, dieldrin, chlordane and mercury in the fillets of the fish.
I'm still looking for inner harbor consumption advisory reports.

SP Dan     <"))><

mthaubs

mthaubs
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

SP Dan wrote:Thanx[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here's one that I located for our coastal waters:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It has a break down of how much we are allowed to safely consume, which species to consume and which species not to consume in our coastal waters.
I want to believe that these findings also holds true (and more) with our inner harbor waters.

I want to believe that our inner harbor waters may hold even higher levels of DDTs, PCBs, dieldrin, chlordane and mercury in the fillets of the fish.
I'm still looking for inner harbor consumption advisory reports.

SP Dan     <"))><
I have found a report for the inner harbors. It is very long in the tooth tho. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by mthaubs on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding info.)

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I researched this when I first started fishing this area. Unfortunately, none of the sample points (places where fish were caught for the study) were in the "inner harbors" like Dan is asking about.

I've also searched scholarly papers for research not done by state agencies and I can't find anything specific to inner harbors. I doubt that those studies have ever been done as very few people even know about harbor fishing. Most people either fish open water piers, or get on boats, so they sampled the places where the most people go. It makes sense.

The open water numbers are bad enough. Harbor water isn't going to be cleaner, that's for sure. Heck, they shut down the LAB after damn near every decent rain.

For me, I remember the days before "safe consumption levels" so when I see the whole coast where I live as a Red Zone, I'm out. My safe consumption level is no consumption.

There's also the question of servings. It turns out that a "serving" for safe consumption is only six ounces.

I ask myself... if more than six ounces of the stuff is unsafe to eat, do I really want even those six ounces?

mthaubs

mthaubs
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I agree

SP Dan

SP Dan

Me too!

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

You Guys did a Great job you no your in trouble when you can smell Fuel on your Water's and you can pick that up in most of are Harbor's

volcomsurfrider

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I've been fishing our inner harbors from San Diego to King Harbor to Ventura for almost 20 years now. Grew up angling in these salty ponds since I was like 10 years old. Did a lot of research on how safe the fish are for consumption and there are really no solid information. My family and I really are lovers of anything from the sea although I do always practice Catch and Release on most of my angling species. The way you decide what to harvest and what not to I have concluded at the location the fish is caught and the species. What is available to us is the water quality of harbors. Newport Back Bay being one of the most polluted. Personally, I do not keep any fish for consumption from any of the inner harbors from a float tube. Some of the areas I tube kicks out some toad Sand Bass, Calicos, Sculpin and Halibuts. However, the areas are so far inner harbor, I would not suggest anyone eating these fish. Granted Halibuts are migratory fish and they travel in and out of the harbors. Those bass, they live there. All year round in there rock/dock/tanker structures. They then also eat clams and mussels in the area and we all know mussels are filter feeders. We eat the fish, the fish eat the mussels and the mussels eat all that smuck in our harbors. I will keep a few bass in legal size to about 2 pounds when I fish the break wall area from my skiff. Any areas more inner harbor, I release every thing. Of course, eat fish from our local waters in moderation is the key answer. Stay away from Yellowfin Croaker, White Fin Croaker, Spotfin Croakers, Rubber Lip Perch at all times. Let's face it, we all fish for the sport and we probably all do love to eat fish. Harvest what you think may be safe. Also, I have fished a few Float Tube tournaments with a floating live well and let me just say, when a seal comes to visit your catch in a floating live well, it's not fun! Smile Tight Lines everyone!

SP Dan

SP Dan

SP Dan

SP Dan

So ... answer me this anyone ...

Knowing all of the evidence that we now know about the existing levels of DDTs, PCBs, dieldrin, chlordane and mercury contained in the fillets of the fish caught in our local harbor waters and caught along our local cloast line, why do some anglers still need to take their kill home to consume and or even worse, feed it to their loved one's? I just don't get it!

To me it's like ... handing a pack of cigarettes to your child .... one ain't gonna kill ya kid! ... eh?!

My 2-cents.

SP Dan     <"))><

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum