FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Today at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Today at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Today at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Today at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Today at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Today at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Today at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float Tube Fishing with the Megabass Dark Sleeper

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I caught two fish within sight of the launch ramp... and then it was four hours of cold and windy and savage tides and no more fish. The better of the fish was just under legal size, so it felt like a toad compared to the dinks I've been catching lately. Honestly, I don't see how a fish not even legal size counts as a "toad" but I'm calling it that for entertainment purposes  green happy

But thanks to a mention by mo2vation, I got to test out a new (to me) bait and I really like it. It's called the Dark Sleeper by Megabass and it's another in the hyper-realistic 3D soft baits that are becoming so popular. What sets this particular bait apart is the weight distribution and the unique weed guard.

Instead having all the weight in the nose, the Dark Sleeper's center of gravity is farther back, which gives it a better glide angle when it's falling. It doesn't just dive straight down, it falls at more of an angle, which I think is more realistic. It also has a wide flat bottom surface, which makes the bait sit on the bottom in a completely natural way. It really does look like a fish!

The other unique feature is the hook is hidden in a slot built into the dorsal fin, which acts like a weed guard. I ran it through all kinds of nasty eel grass and it performed very well. In fact, this bait is perfect for beds of grass because you can either bump it along like a jig, or you can do a slow to medium straight retrieve and swim it just above and through the eel grass.

It also has googly eyes and I think eyes make a real difference.

So I think this is a good bait, despite the fact that the bite shut off and I barely avoided the skunk!

On the downside... they're expensive. At one point I had mine hung up on a piling and I almost wanted to dive in and retrieve it by hand, but thankfully I was able to work it free.

Anyway, I got wet and shot video, so here it is!

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Nice!! So the first one you caught was on the troll? You were kicking out?

Thanks for sharing!

- Ken

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Yes, I was doing my usual bit of trolling along the dock line and stopping now and then to work deeper into the docks and also across the channel. That first fish hit during a trolling run just after my bait passed a piling.

Troutbum

Troutbum
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Nice fish! Thanks for sharing.

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ornery Bob wrote:Yes, I was doing my usual bit of trolling along the dock line and stopping now and then to work deeper into the docks and also across the channel. That first fish hit during a trolling run just after my bait passed a piling.

Good to know. I don't ever 'troll' - I generally stop, jig, move to next, stop, jig....

It is a swimbait, after-all - so trolling makes sense.

Thanks

-K

Wonka Weeyaga

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks for the new video Bob.  I just got my Megassbass Dark Sleeper 3/8 oz today in the mail.
I got the clear/chart and the wakasagi color (kind of "bluegill-ish" color).  I'm planning to use them this weekend.  Yes, they are pricey - like hookup baits.

Mo2vation wrote:
Ornery Bob wrote:Yes, I was doing my usual bit of trolling along the dock line and stopping now and then to work deeper into the docks and also across the channel. That first fish hit during a trolling run just after my bait passed a piling.

Good to know.  I don't ever 'troll' - I generally stop, jig, move to next, stop, jig....

It is a swimbait, after-all - so trolling makes sense.

Thanks

-K

I like to troll as I move around to different spots.  Trolling a dropshot in the channels has worked well for me also.

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Yeah, I agree. If I'm kicking, I'm trolling.

@ mo2vation, I forgot to say thanks for the heads up on the Dark Sleeper! I think it's going to prove deadly.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Don't you just love those days when you catch all your fish in the first half hour?
Great report and thanks for sharing.

Mo2vation

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ornery Bob wrote:Yeah, I agree. If I'm kicking, I'm trolling.

@ mo2vation, I forgot to say thanks for the heads up on the Dark Sleeper! I think it's going to prove deadly.

Absolutely my pleasure, buddy!   It worked very well for me.   I loaded up the Dorsal fin / weed guard with scent. salute

I can't wait until I can get out with them again.  

-K

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum