FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Never FTed before - just got one here in SoCal

+2
Alakai
jplee3
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Hey guys,

I've been intrigued with float tubing ever since hearing about it. I knew I wanted *something* to get me on the water that wasn't a huge PITA to lug around like a kayak or skiff. The float tube seemed to fit the bill in this case. Anyway, it wasn't until this past weekend I actually took the plunge and got one though. I got an Outcast Fat Cat (orange) and am excited to try it out. It came with the Outcast classic high thrust fins and dual-action pump. I inflated it a couple nights ago to make sure it was fine. Only things I need to get are waders and a PFD (I posted asking for recommendations - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Any suggestions, advice, tips, etc on getting started? e.g. the absolute necessary/minimum items I'll want to bring (maybe a whistle? a net?). I will probably be fishing Newport Harbor most. Maybe Dana Point and HH as well. I've been in these harbors less than a handful of times via skiff or kayak but am most familiar with Newport

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I found Ornery Bob on Youtube (he is on this forum) that helped me TREMENDOUSLY. He laid out everything that he uses and why he likes it. It's how I bought all my equipment and then gives tips and pointers for the local area to go.

As I know it you need several things: PFD, fins, pump and sunblock. I would also put rod holders on this list as well but perhaps you may not need it if you are interested in holding your rod.
If you are going to cold or dirty water you will also need waders.

I am new also, been three times so far on my new tube. Only twice in the bay and absolutely love it. Welcome to the forum and let me know if I can help

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Welcome to the forum jplee3.

A net is a good idea, a rod holder system, and a pliers to remove hooks all make life easier.
As far as waders the number one trouble for float tubers is how to take a nature break. Front zippered waders are a luxury you should consider.
Ornery Bobs videos are a good source for ideas as well.

Welcome to the forum! I've been fishing my skiff in the bays and just bought my first tube as well. I think there are 3 of us that are all pretty new!

I love Bob's videos. They are tremendously helpful. I bought a pack of carabeaners with cords attached. I attach my fish gripper, pliers, and net to the cords. I didn't get a rod holder yet, but I decided to build my own holder.

I fish HH a lot but also go to Newport. I want to try Alamitos and Dana point as well. Let us know how it goes!

Sent from Topic'it App

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Alakai wrote:I found Ornery Bob on Youtube (he is on this forum) that helped me TREMENDOUSLY. He laid out everything that he uses and why he likes it. It's how I bought all my equipment and then gives tips and pointers for the local area to go.

As I know it you need several things: PFD, fins, pump and sunblock. I would also put rod holders on this list as well but perhaps you may not need it if you are interested in holding your rod.

I am new also, been three times so far on my new tube. Only twice in the bay and absolutely love it. Welcome to the forum and let me know if I can help

Yea I've watched several of his videos! Super helpful in understanding things. The thing I get scared most about is the tides/wind pushing me out and getting screwed over, especially if I read the tides wrong or whatever.

The rod holders are eventually something I'll want I'm sure. Maybe two or three max but I've also heard that just starting out you want to bring one rod and as little as possible just to get accustomed to the float tube itself and comfortable in it, which makes sense. Did you do a trial run in fresh water or anything or did you go straight to the salt?

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

We should arrange a newb meetup. I post when I can go and where I will likely be going now each week. I'm staying at the LAB for now until I get more comfortable with understanding tides and wind but I'm sure my curiosity will take me elsewhere soon.

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Alakai wrote:We should arrange a newb meetup. I post when I can go and where I will likely be going now each week. I'm staying at the LAB for now until I get more comfortable with understanding tides and wind but I'm sure my curiosity will take me elsewhere soon.

For sure! I'd be down. Though not sure how far or how often I can go - have two little kids 3 and under and one car, so my wife is 'trapped' at home whenever I go surf fishing as it is lol.

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jplee3 wrote:
Alakai wrote:I found Ornery Bob on Youtube (he is on this forum) that helped me TREMENDOUSLY. He laid out everything that he uses and why he likes it. It's how I bought all my equipment and then gives tips and pointers for the local area to go.

Yea I've watched several of his videos! Super helpful in understanding things. The thing I get scared most about is the tides/wind pushing me out and getting screwed over, especially if I read the tides wrong or whatever.

The rod holders are eventually something I'll want I'm sure. Maybe two or three max but I've also heard that just starting out you want to bring one rod and as little as possible just to get accustomed to the float tube itself and comfortable in it, which makes sense. Did you do a trial run in fresh water or anything or did you go straight to the salt?

So I had a lower end float tube that I wanted to try the sport out with and not pay too much when I started. I went to SARL like four times and learned about it and loved it. When I stepped up and got a new tube I went to SARL one last time and then hit the Bays. I have doubts I will be back at SARL in the near future...

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

jplee3 wrote:
Alakai wrote:We should arrange a newb meetup. I post when I can go and where I will likely be going now each week. I'm staying at the LAB for now until I get more comfortable with understanding tides and wind but I'm sure my curiosity will take me elsewhere soon.

For sure! I'd be down. Though not sure how far or how often I can go - have two little kids 3 and under and one car, so my wife is 'trapped' at home whenever I go surf fishing as it is lol.

Right, I have a 7 year old as well and the same situation. My schedule revolves around him. When I post up I just tell everyone where I will be and when I will likely be there. If anyone can make it, then come along I set meetup times or anything just an area since people all have different schedules. Hope to see you out someday

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

The rod holders are eventually something I'll want I'm sure. Maybe two or three max but I've also heard that just starting out you want to bring one rod and as little as possible just to get accustomed to the float tube itself and comfortable in it, which makes sense. Did you do a trial run in fresh water or anything or did you go straight to the salt? [/quote]

Sorry missed the rod holder part. I will have a video of what I did to make mine soon but I used ABS and fashioned it up. I wanted several things for mine including a video mount and fish finder mount so your design may be different. All depends on what you are doing and where you are going.

For example: Fresh water catfish or bait trout you can have like four poles in the water just waiting but for bass you normally have like one pole in the water at a time so you don't need as many holders. So it's all about mixing and matching to suit what you are doing.

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon wrote:Welcome to the forum jplee3.

A net is a good idea, a rod holder system, and a pliers to remove hooks all make life easier.
As far as waders the number one trouble for float tubers is how to take a nature break. Front zippered waders are a luxury you should consider.

Thanks! Good reminder about taking a leak haha. But wouldn't you need to still stop somewhere where there's a bathroom, get out and then go? Or are you just saying that, in general, front zippered waders make it much easier versus have to pulled down regular suspenders?

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

jplee3 wrote:

Thanks! Good reminder about taking a leak haha. But wouldn't you need to still stop somewhere where there's a bathroom, get out and then go? Or are you just saying that, in general, front zippered waders make it much easier versus have to pulled down regular suspenders?

Sometimes I fish a spot that has no "legal" shore access. The nearest "legal" land is more than 1/2 mile away. So, if you got to go, you gota go. Peeing from the tube is an art form we eventually need to learn. But, yes the front zip is very convenient in any circumstance.

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon wrote:
jplee3 wrote:

Sometimes I fish a spot that has no "legal" shore access. The nearest  "legal" land is more than 1/2 mile away. So, if you got to go, you gota go. Peeing from the tube is an art form we eventually need to learn. But, yes the front zip is very convenient in any circumstance.

LOL, I'm just curious how that even works without getting water in the waders while taking a leak.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

jplee3 welcome to the forum, you are in the right place. As for your questions, these guys will dial you in just fine. So the basics though for me a PFD, waders, fins, and your rods and tackle this is my simple 2 cents.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Welcome jplee3!

I'm really stoked if my videos have helped in any way! My main motivation has always been to just have fun and promote this great sport.

Don't forget that fishing from a tube is still primarily just fishing, so you already know how to do 99% of what you will do out there. Don't let the 1% trouble you.

Tides and winds are easily mastered with a little knowledge and common sense. You check the direction of tides and how strong they are with a two minute visit to tides4fishing.com (or the app of your choice) and winds at windfinder.com.

The common sense part of it is when you get on the water, pay attention. Keep track of where you are, think about when you need to head back. Notice if the wind is picking up or if the tide has changed and you need to switch gears. It's actually so simple that we pretty much all do it automatically.

A whistle is actually a legal requirement and if you ever need it, you'll be thankful you have it. I've used mine once, and it saved me from having a bad day. It's like this... yelling doesn't work. People on boats have engine noise and can't hear you. They're also up high compared to you and the closer they are, the less they can see you. Definitely get a whistle and keep in very handy.

A net is a personal choice, but I definitely use one. Be sure you get a fish friendly kind with no knots.

Sun protection - I use it all. Long sleeve shirts, neck gaitor, sun glasses, gloves to keep the sun off my hands, sun block. You can never have too much sun protection.

Here's what I tell people... You're going to be fishing from a lounge chair. Take what you would want if that chair was on a dock somewhere. You still need the same fishing gear, the same sun protection, the same possible refreshments, whatever makes you happy! Maybe you wear special pants (waders - I wear mine once the water gets below 65 or so) and special footgear (fins) but that's about it.

Honestly, the main difference between shore fishing and float tube fishing is that tubing is way, way, way, more fun! It's not bait and wait, it's actively hunting for fish. Infinitely more interesting and fun.

Good luck, I hope to see you out there!

SP Dan

SP Dan

I'm glade to hear that you are all stoked to be launching your new FT soon jplee3! Thumbs Up  

On your list of items to take be certain to add your fishing license.

The waters really aren't cold yet and you should still be able to put in a few more fishing sessions without a pair of waders. In my experience.
I fish year round with just my board shorts and I do well. In fact, I use my bare legs to feel the water thermo changes in the water currents ... this is very important to me because a 1 deg water temperature change can shut off a bite instantly.
So I use my legs as indicators to keep me constantly in the same water temperature. It's hard to feel the thermo changes with waders on.

I was glad to read that you were able to gather a lot of useful information off of Bob's videos.
He has share some detailed information in his videos.

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

SP Dan wrote:I'm glade to hear that you are all stoked to be launching your new FT soon jplee3! Thumbs Up  

On your list of items to take be certain to add your fishing license.

The waters really aren't cold yet and you should still be able to put in a few more fishing sessions without a pair of waders. In my experience.
I fish year round with just my board shorts and I do well. In fact, I use my bare legs to feel the water thermo changes in the water currents ... this is very important to me because a 1 deg water temperature change can shut off a bite instantly.
So I use my legs as indicators to keep me constantly in the same water temperature. It's hard to feel the thermo changes with waders on.

I was glad to read that you were able to gather a lot of useful information off of Bob's videos.
He has share some detailed information in his videos.

SP Dan     <"))><

Are you looking for warmer or colder water currents? Are you aware of what the Hawaiians used to use to measure the water temp for navigation? Maybe I should try that... Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum