FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Umbrella rig
by BigMaxFloats Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
by Troutbum Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:52 pm

» Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
by jeffcpr Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm

» LA Harbor 3/10/24 ghost town
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:54 pm

» Float tube Storage
by BigMaxFloats Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:50 pm

» The Pacific Coast Sport Fishing Show
by Jerdon Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm

» Lake Havasu Fishing
by Troutbum Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:12 pm

» These just showed up at home today
by jeffcpr Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:57 am

» An idea worth looking into
by jeffcpr Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:51 pm

» I think I am obsessed.
by Jerdon Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:46 pm

» Beach closure
by jeffcpr Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:01 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jmytuna in LA Harbor 3/12, 3/15
( 4 )

» Post by SteelersFan4Life in The FTFF Gathering Feb 17th
( 4 )

» Post by BobBfishin in Lake Havasu Fishing
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Gathering at Puddingstone April 6th
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Stellar day today! 2/23/24
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018

+3
jeffcpr
Jerdon
SP Dan
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:39 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

WARNING!! ... LONG REPORT!!

Solo Session in LAB, Sun 12-9-2018.
This was my 63th Float Tube session for the 2018 Season.

I always like to take a few minutes before each session to calm my thoughts and to remember to give thanks, for being so BLESSED for having such good health and for this opportunity of being here today ... enjoying the water, all of it's abundance and to take-in the breath taking sunrise of each morning's session .... amen!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Session Summary:
So, I had planned on fishing at LAH again this morning but again they had "No Parking" signs posted on delineators stating "no-parking allowed" between "6:00 AM until 10:00 AM" on Saturday. I didn't want to chance it, even tho today was Sunday.
Crying or Very sad DANG IT!! It was time for me to re-group again!

That's when I decided to head down south to hook-up and fish with Commander Jeff and the rest of the FTFF group at HH ... but on the way there I told myself ... "Self, if my parking spot is open on Bay Shore Ave ... then this will be a sign that I should stay and fish at LAB.
So I arrived at my LAB spot and my parking spot was wide open!
YAHOO! ... It was meant to be!! Cool

The weather was perfect again, the sky's were clear and filled with bright stars, the air was a chilly 53 degrees on the water and it eventually warmed-up to a brisk 57 degrees by 08:45 hrs with lots of bright sunshine, the water conditions were experiencing an in-coming tide but where I was fishing it was behaving more like an outgoing tide moving in the counter-clockwise direction until 08:00 hrs when it stopped and reversed it's direction and began to move in the clockwise direction ... some moving debris and floating trash in the water (not as bad as yesterday) ... the fishing on the other hand was very tough! ... the fish were not on the chew! ... but I was able to find a few of them!  Thumbs Up
I used every trick in the book! And I Finally Pulled The "Rabbit Out Of The Hat"!!

My Halibut story:  Believe me when I say ... this one is for the books!!

It's still gray-light dark-thirty and I'm not wearing a headlamp.
My spider senses kept pushing me to fish in an area that I wasn't interested to fish in ... but after hearing the four out of the five voices in my head; over-an-over, I decided to surrender to my gut level feelings and to trust in my intuitions once again.

So now I find myself in the area at 05:55 hrs and I landed a respectful Spotty by 06:00 hrs and begin to like my decision to fish here when at 06:05 hrs my sleeper rod; on my swivel rod rack, Goes Full BENDO!! and I grabbed my rod in order to lift it and my rod rack upward against the downward heavy pull in order to rescue the stitches that were holding my D-rings attached to the sides of my Cumberland.
Note: Rod rack is attached to the D-rings.
The hook was set but it wasn't pulling line off my spool ...  Shocked HUH!?! and so I had immediately retrieved my other line out of the water and set it out-of-the-way in the rod rack.

I don't know what the heck I did ...  Shocked  but my braided line got wrapped around my rod just behind the rod tip. OK I figured it out and I was unwrapping my line in the wrong direction at the same time that this fish was power diving, trying to make power runs while turning me back-and forth!!

At this point ... I still don't know what was on the end of the line!!
I was guessing that it was either a monstrous LEGAL Bass, med sized Bat-Ray or a decent legal Hali ...  Shocked I really didn't know!

After fumbling around and getting free of all the line wraps ... I was ready to finesse this thing in and my reel felt absolutely froze-up!! ...  NOT NOW!!! Shocked HUH?!?!

Somehow ... in the dark, my braided line got underneath my spool and was wrapping-around on the inner shaft ...OH NOOooo!!!
Please understand .... this fish is still trying to make line ripping pulls and turning me ... So ... I remove the spool-nut and removed the spool and un-wrapped the line from the inner shaft and re-assembled my reel in hopes of getting into this one-sided fight!

NOPE!! DIDN'T HAPPEN!! Some how; in the dark, when I had removed my spool, I had opened the bail and caused my braided line to wrap a complete loop around my bail wire! DANG!!!
Please understand .... this fish is still trying to make line ripping pulls and turning me ... So ... I needed to un-wrap my braided line; in the dark, from the bail while I was presently fighting some strong and monstrously heavy fish ... I removed the spool-nut and I removed the spool, opened the bail, put the spool back on, closed the bail, removed the spool, opened the bail, put the spool back on again and I put the spool-nut back on for the last time ... OK! Phew!!
I made a quick adjustment my drag (set to FIGHTING MODE), I made double certain that I didn't have any more line wraps on the rod tip and now I'm FINALLY READY!! ...THE FIGHT WAS ON!!
I finally landed the beautiful specimen of a Halibut on top of my lap-tray at 06:20 hrs. I can't believe that this whole gear malfunction ordeal only lasted; from start to finish, approx 15 minutes. ... and I really can't believe that I didn't lose the Halibut during this entire fiasco!!
santa HIS WILL!! I am truly humbled!!  

The Moral of my story is: Always listen to the 4 out of the 5 voices in your head! Ha ha ha!

Duration: 05:45 hrs until 08:45 hrs (3 hrs)
Sun Rise: 06:46 hrs,
Sun Set: 16:44 hrs, the days are still getting shorter as each new day arrives.
Moon Phase: Waxing Crescent
Gray Light: 05:55 hrs.  
Tidal Conditions: 05:30 hrs 3.3 ft, 06:30 hrs 4.2 ft, 07:30 hrs 5.1 ft, 08:30 5.7 ft, 09:29 HT 5.9 ft, 10:30 hrs 5.6 ft , 11:30 hrs 4.9 ft ... etc.
Air temperatures during session: clear sky's with temps from 53 deg to 57 deg.
Water temperatures:  60 deg
Wind: 06:00 hrs 1 mph NW, 12:00 hrs 4 mph WNW.
Water clarity: translucent green  
Large Leaf Kelp Beds: none to report
Water Visibility: 2 - 4 ft
Tidal Coefficient: Dropping ... (CE) 75 in the morning, this is a still a higher average considered a stable rate.
iSolunar Prediction: Minor Period: 07:58 hrs until 09:28 hrs.
(4 out of 4 possible) <"))>< <"))>< <"))>< <"))><
Sea Dogs: none to report
Dolphin: none to report
Pelagic Bird Activity: none to report
Bait Presence: massive schools of 1" to 4" shiners were being chased by the larger fish.
Photo from my (3.4 oz) Deeper Pro+ Fish Finder, blue-toothed to my iPhone X screen
Distance kicked: 0.83 miles.
Calories Burnt: 335 calories
Tackle Used: 1/4oz Sardine Green/Silver & White Shad, 3/8oz Sardine Green/Silver colored HUB's

SP Dan's fish count this morning: 8-fish, 4-species, 1-legal to report today.

(1) short Sandy 8 1/4"

(2) Greenback Mackerel, best 11"

(4) Spotty's, best 13 1/2"

(1) LEGAL Halibut 27" 8.2 pounds
this one makes my 5th for my 2018 season and it sets the bar higher as my new PB for number of legal Hali's in a single season from a float tube!

Note: All legals shown, but just one pic of each species landed if short and all fish were quickly CPR'd.

PLEASE ... always leave it cleaner than you found it!
So please grab a hand-full and Pitch-In!!

Thank you for taking the time to check out today's fish report!

santa SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:52 pm; edited 5 times in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

2Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:57 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Congratz on that big Hali!!!
Fighting the line AND fighting the fish, always a good time, not always such a good outcome.

Thanks for sharing.

3Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:02 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Man that was a nail-biter of a story, glad you got him congrats.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:37 am

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

That is amazing, what a great fish report.

Do you keep your screen on your iPhone on the entire time? That's a really cool readout.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

5Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:18 am

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

wow!
That was a good read dan. When I got your text, I could tell you were pretty pumped. However, I thought to myself it must've been a real special hali in order for you to be that excited. Now, reading the back story, I understand your excitement! That fish had every advantage and you kept your cool to land it...in other words, that fish was meant to be caught by you! congrats!

6Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:51 pm

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

WOOOOOO! Had to earn that legal. That is a nice fish bud. Great job and report. That is definitely a goal for next year, legal hali on the tube.

7Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:15 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Jerdon wrote:Congratz on that big Hali!!!
Fighting the line AND fighting the fish, always a good time, not always such a good outcome.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi ya Jerdon,

I was fighting the fish with my reel disassembled and the spool removed from the reel four times!! Insane!!
I should have never have landed that fish!
It was a gift indeed! I was prepared for the moment.

SP Dan     <"))><

8Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

jeffcpr wrote:Man that was a nail-biter of a story, glad you got him congrats.

Hey Jeff,
Yes ... it was a really cool fish to land under such stressful conditions but then I also missed out on fishing HH with some friends as well.

SP Dan <"))><

9Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:45 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Alakai wrote:That is amazing, what a great fish report.

Do you keep your screen on your iPhone on the entire time? That's a really cool readout.

Hi ya Alakai,
I only leave it on when I'm learning an area of operation.

At any given time of the day I should know the height of the tide at the spot I am fishing.

I always like to know what the zero tide is at any location so when I know and apply the present tide elevation, I will always know how deep it is at that particular spot, at that time of tide without the need of my FF again at that location.

After having this gem of a FF, I could never go out and spend all that money for any of those expensive FF's ... plus a transducer, multi tied-up cables, mounts, straps, additional piping and of course a  Shocked  5-6 lb battery w/ battery charger!

My head just Arrow spins thinking about it $ and I really doubt that those heavy battery operated cumbersome FF's will really help to improve my ability to catch fish.

Deeper Pro+ ..... I recommend it!
At least think about it ... and perhaps check it out. Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

10Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:07 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Congrats on your Hali, you were excited on your text, but the pic is a 1K words..........NICE........GT

BTW I'm open for Sunday, text me............GT

11Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:49 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

kin wrote:wow!
That was a good read dan. When I got your text, I could tell you were pretty pumped. However, I thought to myself it must've been a real special hali in order for you to be that excited. Now, reading the back story, I understand your excitement! That fish had every advantage and you kept your cool to land it...in other words, that fish was meant to be caught by you! congrats!

Hi ya Kin,
I was definitely entered into a one-legged Hali-butt kicking contest on that day ... it was truly a one-sided fight and I only landed this fish due to His grace on that day!

In my mind I could totally imagine the flip side of the coin with it all going so very wrong ... where I'd end up sharing my story; in a report with everyone, about the BIG one that got away due to my blundering gear malfunction.  Very Happy Giggle ... Nope! ... I still can't believe it Brotha! Cool

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

12Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:59 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

TobyB wrote:WOOOOOO! Had to earn that legal. That is a nice fish bud. Great job and report. That is definitely a goal for next year, legal hali on the tube.

Man-O-Man ... did I ever!
This one was my 5th legal Hali for this Season but not my largest for the Season. And there's still more time for [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] before the burning event on 12-31-2018! Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

13Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:22 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

SP Dan wrote:

Hi ya Alakai,

At any given time of the day I should know the height of the tide at the spot I am fishing.

I always like to know what the zero tide is at any location so when I know and apply the present tide elevation, I will always know how deep it is at that particular spot, at that time of tide without the need of my FF again at that location.

After having this gem of a FF, I could never go out and spend all that money for any of those expensive FF's ... plus a transducer, multi tied-up cables, mounts, straps, additional piping and of course a  Shocked  5-6 lb battery w/ battery charger!

My head just Arrow spins thinking about it $ and I really doubt that those heavy battery operated cumbersome FF's will really help to improve my ability to catch fish.

At least think about it ... and perhaps check it out.  Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

I think I have much to learn from you Dan. I am new to all of this and understanding how to properly use a FF. Seems like you are using it mostly for depth finding based on your reply. Forgive my ignorance but how does knowing the depth help?

14Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:00 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Well Alakai, you have learned a lot and by your own experiences and you know that the deeper the water (with strong or easy current) the heavier or the lighter the weight that you should use in order to properly reach and feel the bottom. No brainer!

The water movement; in for example 22 feet of water, and the depth determines whether I’m going to use a quarter ounce or a three/eights or how heavy my drop shot weight will be.

I also like knowing where the drop-offs are and how deep they are at any given tide, where the mounds or hills are and how tall they are, where the trenches are and how long they are and how deep they are all the way thru the trench at any given tide and a good plan on how to attack each situation and it’s condition “is a job half done” in my books.

I can never have enough information on an area that I plan to fish. So once I learn the bottom I’ll use the FF only to help me to get back onto my spots and to get an instant idea of the area in order to make a plan on how to fish it.

Then I shut it off and fish!

My last couple of sessions however, I did leave it on until I saw some nice schools a bait fish below me and I took a picture of it for my fish reports so that all of you could see the screen presented by my Deeper Pro+ FF.

Thanx for asking,

SP Dan <“))><

15Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:13 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So this is why you are switching from 1/4 to 3/8 oz in your reports. I was thinking about this during this last weekend when I kept getting pushed into pylons at HH. I thought that perhaps LAH (where I know you go plenty) had some currents as well. Makes sense though that the deeper it is the longer it takes a weight to get to the bottom and thus the longer the time it is subjected to the effects of the currents.

I did see the screen shots you took and was in awe with Jeff at HH. It's like you were fishing in an aquarium, LOL!

16Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:04 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Alakai wrote:
SP Dan wrote:

Hi ya Alakai,

At least think about it ... and perhaps check it out.  Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

I think I have much to learn from you Dan. I am new to all of this and understanding how to properly use a FF. Seems like you are using it mostly for depth finding based on your reply. Forgive my ignorance but how does knowing the depth help?

Alakai,

You would probably learn a lot more by going back to O Bob's videos than from me ... because he has put out some very good "How To" videos and I highly recommend his tutoring to you! Thumbs Up

I've never proclaimed to know anything about fishing.

I only post up my fishing reports and I just get lucky sometimes!  Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

17Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:06 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Loud and clear

Sent from Topic'it App

18Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:33 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

GT wrote:Congrats on your Hali, you were excited on your text, but the pic is a 1K words..........NICE........GT

BTW I'm open for Sunday, text me............GT

Thanx Brotha!

Ya ... I guess that I was so beside myself ... that I couldn't believe that I had actually landed it after everything that I had just gone thru with my gear and I wanted to share it with ya!
Well ... at least it wasn't one of those ..."The one that got away" stories ... right Cool ?!

It wasn't the size of the fish ... it was the whole experience from the strike to actually landing it that had me STOKED!

I'm looking forward to hooking up with ya this Sunday GT.
Thanx for the invite! Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

19Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:05 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Alakai,
Can you join GT and myself this Sun to fish Los Patos Bridge and the flats at HH?

20Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

SP Dan wrote:Alakai,
Can you join GT and myself this Sun to fish Los Patos Bridge and the flats at HH?

Sorry no. It is a very rare occasion that I can go on a Sunday. Last week was one of those occasions. It's a family day for me normally. I am likely going to LAB on Saturday if I can swing it

21Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:11 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Too bad ... great tidal movement! Thumbs Up

22Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Think I saw something like this on Sat as well. Three fish and all.

23Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:55 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Well ... if there is fish to be caught ... GT and I normally catch a lot more than just 3 fish and we were offering you an opportunity ... oh well. NP

SP Dan <"))><

24Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:13 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Open invite by GT and myself for everyone, anyone to join us tomorrow at HH Thumbs Up
We will launch at the boat ramp.

SP Dan <"))><

25Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Empty Re: Legal Hali At LAB On Sun 12-9-2018 Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:53 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I hope that this was not my last legal halibut for my 2018 season.
My fingers are crossed, my prayers have been tossed up into the air and there is still plenty of time remaining in this 2018 season for one more legal!

I hope to read about someone; if not myself, having the opportunity to land one more legal halibut for the 2018 season!

Good luck to everyone!

SP Dan. <“))><

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum