FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

First Time Out on my New Tube

+7
n2deepfsw
Kelster
Fisher
jeffcpr
.:LOLLY:.
waxon67
Cartman
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1First Time Out on my New Tube Empty First Time Out on my New Tube Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 am

Cartman

Cartman
FTFF Gathering Officer

I just finished collecting all the various gear , and when the opportunity presented itself, I took the plunge, so to speak, and launched my float tube on her maiden voyage yesterday at Puddingstone. Had some technical problems at first keeping fins on, but either I figured it out or it figured itself out, and things went well after that. I caught a lot of nice fish including some really big crappie (my PB for sure). I was able to reach places I could never have gotten to from the bank, and the feeling of freedom being out on the water was great, though I wasn't eager to go too far, especially with the wind kicking up. I spent most of my effort dealing with the wind and the float tube and didn't get to concentrate on fishing as much as I would have liked. When I fish I like to put my line in where I think there will be fish and kinda "fish" that spot, but when I'm moving around like a bobber on top of the water, tactics start changing up a little. I am pretty sure there are skills I can develop to give me better control, like there would be in riding a bicycle, and avoiding wind is probably a good idea also.

Today I feel great. I went fishing, and I got exercise at the same time! I love my new little boat, and I am anxious to get back out there. I am sure I will be more mobile and more in control in time, and already I have seen the difference in the haul. Thanks for FTFF people for all your posts. Very Happy

2First Time Out on my New Tube Empty Re: First Time Out on my New Tube Wed May 23, 2012 8:56 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

WTG! Nothing like the first time! Welcome to new world...tight lines!

3First Time Out on my New Tube Empty Re: First Time Out on my New Tube Wed May 23, 2012 9:00 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

It's good to know you had fun out there.

If you keep drifting away, you can always get a small anchor to keep you in place until you want to relocate

4First Time Out on my New Tube Empty Re: First Time Out on my New Tube Wed May 23, 2012 9:00 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Cartman welcome to a new world that most will never know. I remember my first time out and yes there is a learning curve. More time on the water will build you skills and more importantly your confidence. So when you get a chance get back out there and build on your last trip. Also very glad to hear the fish are bitting out there, I have not been there is a few years now hope I could get out there soon.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

5First Time Out on my New Tube Empty Re: First Time Out on my New Tube Wed May 23, 2012 11:28 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

awesome glad u had fun out there things will get easier as you tube more

6First Time Out on my New Tube Empty Re: First Time Out on my New Tube Wed May 23, 2012 1:55 pm

Kelster

Kelster
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Great job, it does get easier the more you are on the water. I can remember my first time up at Lake gregory and the wind was howling.
You will never want to fish any other way, the freedom to go where ever you want to.

7First Time Out on my New Tube Empty Re: First Time Out on my New Tube Wed May 23, 2012 2:02 pm

Cartman

Cartman
FTFF Gathering Officer

.:LOLLY:. wrote:It's good to know you had fun out there.

If you keep drifting away, you can always get a small anchor to keep you in place until you want to relocate

I am gonna be looking into an anchor of some sort. I am worried that since the tube is mostly round if I am anchored in one spot it may just get blown around and around that spot, or is that something I can more or less control with my fins?

Are anchors commonly used, or are they generally considered an unnecessary encumbrance?

8First Time Out on my New Tube Empty Re: First Time Out on my New Tube Wed May 23, 2012 2:14 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I don't use an anchor I just use my fins but that is me. There are plenty of people that use anchors, and they serve them well. there is the simple way get a small canvas bag, fill with rock and use a rope to tie it off to your tube.
I think with more time on the water you will get better with holding your spot. For me win the wind is to high it is time to call it a day. If I had an anchor my day might last a little longer.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

9First Time Out on my New Tube Empty Re: First Time Out on my New Tube Wed May 23, 2012 2:15 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Very cool cartman on your first outing....

10First Time Out on my New Tube Empty Re: First Time Out on my New Tube Wed May 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Awesome man sounds like it was a great first time!!!

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

11First Time Out on my New Tube Empty Re: First Time Out on my New Tube Thu May 24, 2012 5:57 am

webrx

FTFF Gathering Officer

I dont use an anchor, but I have thought about it. mostly if I want to stay in position I point the nose of the tube into the wind and kick slowly or fast enough to hold my ground. I have also thought about a wind sock to help slow down the drift if I am going with this wind but have not done this either.

Where I fish, if you wait for a no wind day, you wont get a lot of fishing done. Keep at it, you will get the hang of controlling the tube in the wind.

d

12First Time Out on my New Tube Empty Re: First Time Out on my New Tube Thu May 24, 2012 12:34 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Cartman wrote:Are anchors commonly used, or are they generally considered an unnecessary encumbrance?

I just posted on this.

I'm still a newbie, so I bring everything. I think it's unnecessary in many places, but if you anticipate wanting to park your self, and fish a spot for awhile, or you know there's some wind.. then it might be good to have 2 anchors. I use rope and chain. You can put a carbiner on it, and it then serves 2 purposes.. you can latch onto a dock or whatever, or just use it as an anchor.

Good luck and congrats.

13First Time Out on my New Tube Empty Re: First Time Out on my New Tube Thu May 24, 2012 1:19 pm

monkeee2002

monkeee2002
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Congrat's on the new tube! Thumbs Up

I'm new to this too (been out all of 4 times now). You'll get better at controlling your tube pretty quick. My first time out I swear all I did was paddle for position, and it was a calm day.
My last time out was pretty windy( at one point I spent about 20 minutes going about 300 yds). This trip I found that I spent far less time worrying about where I was at or where I was going. Turning is getting to be second nature finally, and I don't find myself drifting into the weeds when I'm not looking LoL!

Doesn't seem to be many people around me who tube, so I'm kinda on my own for learning this stuff. So far I've seen one pontoon on the lake near me, and no tubes.

I made a rodholder with ABS pipe. Mostly 1-1/2", with one 2" upright piece to accomodate my net. I set it up to hold 2 poles, net, plus a open holder for a future camera mount/light mount.
Still a work in progress... I've revamped it each time I've used it. I still need to make a camera mount/light mount for it. Also need to get a more secure way to keep it from leaning this way & that, lol!
Browse the forum, you'll find plenty of ideas for rod holders. For a live well, I went with a "repair" net, for fixing a landing net (about $10 at the local overpriced fishing store), attached some pool noodle and a draw-string opening to keep it closed.

First rodholder looked like this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

reduced it down to this:
(the "upside down piece" isn't glued in. I can add more rod holders if I find the need later on.)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum