FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Today at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Today at 2:20 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Sun May 12, 2024 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Sun May 12, 2024 12:58 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy

+7
Aquaholic38
hobie278
jeffcpr
.:LOLLY:.
Docrunner
wiseguy
Gatorfan
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:36 am

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So, after reading several posts and threads about the different ways to mount a Fishin' Buddy to the tube, I was determined to come up with a mod for mine. I read complaints about how the manufactured mounts either slipped or didn't fit the FB correctly and how other mounts worked but not quite right.

So, I added a 1 1/2" to 2" reducer from the front of my rack and then went to a 2" "T" fitting. I found this rubber 3" to 2" reducer (I'm convinced that this reducer was secretly made by Hummingbird but mistakenly placed in the plumbing department at Home Depot because it fits like a glove!) on top and then about 14" of 2" pipe on bottom. I was worried that the pipe glue would melt the rubber material, so I used Krazy Glue for the connection (it came with metal strap clamps but I knew they would eventually rust). I also cut about a 18" piece of foam pipe wrap that wraps around the transducer pole which keeps the FF from bouncing around in the 2" pipe. This does make the rod rack front heavy but I put a bungee on the back that goes to the other side of the tube and one on the front around the pontoon.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It sure was fun putting all these ideas together and was even better when it all worked like a charm! It would have been better if the fish would have cooperated a little...

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

looks awesome as it is functional! Great job bro!

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

looks great. I like that rubber reducer at the top. I have mine just resting in the "T"... but I needed a reducer bushing to connect it to my 1/2" frame. Why do you need the bottom tube extension? That would save you some weight. The "T" alone should work fine?

Nice spot.. where is it?
(I used to live in SD.. between Rancho Penasquitos and Carmel Valley)

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Docrunner wrote:Why do you need the bottom tube extension? That would save you some weight. The "T" alone should work fine?

Nice spot.. where is it?
(I used to live in SD.. between Rancho Penasquitos and Carmel Valley)

The bottom tube along with the pipe wrap prevents the transducer from wobbling around. This was at Otay.

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice job man. It looks sweet!

6New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:18 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

very nice work bro you have some skills

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:02 pm

Nice set up you have there

8New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks all. I am going to modify it again and change the 45° Y's to 90° T's. I wasn't thinking when I put that back vertical pipe on but now after a couple of uses, I think I would prefer having all of the rod holder at 90°. I am really happy with the mod for the finder though!

9New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:15 pm

Docrunner

Docrunner
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Gatorfan wrote:Thanks all. I am going to modify it again and change the 45° Y's to 90° T's. I wasn't thinking when I put that back vertical pipe on but now after a couple of uses, I think I would prefer having all of the rod holder at 90°. I am really happy with the mod for the finder though!

what side do you have this on? and are you right handed?

I have a wrap around frame, that has both angled and 90 tubes on both sides... on the right side, the 90 tubes are pretty much useless, because with rods in, they annoy me and interfere with my casting. I have a vertical tube behind my seat, for a spare rod, and that has to go also. I think I'm gonna try LOLLY's AK-47 Rack.. with the 3 rearward angled tubes, on the left side of my Cumberland only. But, I'll probably want a fishing buddy FF holder like yours.

10New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:56 pm

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I have the rack on the left side and I am right handed. I just don't see the need to have the 45° tubes. If I fished a lot under piers and stuff, maybe it would make since, but I don't. I am, however, in and out of the tullies a lot and having the rods at 45° doesn't work so well. I made one for my buddy on Saturday night and he insisted on having one vertical up front and then 4 - 45° tubes. I asked him several times if he thought they would get in his way on his back swing and he said no. Sure enough, we were out Sunday morning and he hooked his rods (on his back swing) several times. He got better throughout the day concentrating on a more overhead cast after that...

Honestly, if you already know what you want and you don't want to fool with making these things, I think the ones that Lolly make are perfect. He can't possibly be making very much money with the price he is offering. I just like to get hands-on with projects.

11New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:52 pm

hobie278

hobie278
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Nice work there. looks great. I agree with the 90s wish I did that with mine. Fishing docks I have to be careful when I'm turning or I hit stuff with my rod sticking out.. I only take two rods when I go. So I might make another rod rack. After fishing a few times now I see I have to make some changes on my setup to be more user friendly.

12New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:55 pm

Aquaholic38

Aquaholic38
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Very nice and clean work bro!

13New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:36 pm

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

bitchin set up brah !
Thumbs Up

https://youtu.be/mGBfDMfA0RU

14New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Roybinson

Roybinson
FTFF Gathering Officer

Skills.... I will copy!

http://www.reseguiden.se

15New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:25 pm

lovetofish

lovetofish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Gatorfan, would you consider making one and sell it to me? I am not as handy as you and do not have the tools that would allow me to make the cuts necessary. Awesome design!

Last edited by lovetofish on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

16New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:15 am

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

lovetofish wrote:Gatorfan, would you consider making one and sell it to me? I am not as handy as you and do not have the tools that would allow me to make the cuts necessary. Awesome design!

If you are local, I'd be more than willing to help you make your own. If you like the one I have, I'll sell it to you for the cost of the parts (and shipping if you need it shipped).

17New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:46 pm

lovetofish

lovetofish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

That is so kind of you. I live in La Habra and would very much be interested in purchasing it. What would be the cost?

18New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:53 pm

lovetofish

lovetofish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have a fish cat 4 deluxe float tube. Will it also fit the dimensions and clip where the clips are?

19New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:37 pm

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I was going to send you a PM but I can't figure it out on my iPad...

The eye bolts on mine are 17 1/2" center to center. You'll have to measure yours and figure out if it will work. I would sell it to you for $40 + shipping

20New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:01 pm

lovetofish

lovetofish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I get 14 1/4 when i measure center to center. Sucks man! Your design is sweet and I appreciate you being so kind and considering to sell it to me!

21New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:01 pm

lovetofish

lovetofish
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I can't figure out a way to PM you either.

22New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:15 pm

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I guess the PMs aren't working. I thought it might be because I was on my iPad but I just switched to my wife's PC and it still isn't working. I know it use to because I have sent them before. Give me a call at six one niner 254 niner one zero two if you want.

23New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:02 pm

fishy1

FTFF Gathering Officer

New to float tubes and i will be copying your design (great idea). Do you have to make the rack water tight or is it best to put holes into it to hold it down? Thanks

24New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:18 pm

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I make it water tight but I'm not sure you have to. If you don't and the water covers any part of you rod butts, you will have to deal with wet handles...
I REALLY like my newest design better (see "Some things just work out" post)

25New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Empty Re: New rod rack mod for my Fishin' Buddy Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:20 pm

fishy1

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum