FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Packing A Super Fat Cat

+3
fatboy531
.:LOLLY:.
atavuss
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Packing A Super Fat Cat Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:37 pm

atavuss

atavuss
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Hi guys,
Any advice to pack a Super Fat Cat and gear to a lake?  It is three miles each way, all my gear is heavy stuff (Simms waders, Simms wader boots, force fins, Super Fat Cat, etc.).  Do I need a huge pack to carry all this stuff in?  Some guys use a mountain bike, I thought about a mountain bike with a single wheel trailer.  There is another lake that I will go to also but it is only about 1/2 mile walk in but it is all downhill and a steep climb out at an elevation over 8000'.  Would I be better using a pack to both lakes or a pack for the longer walk and the straps for the tube for the shorter walk.  How do you guys carry all your other gear if you are using the straps for the tube?

Last edited by atavuss on Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

2Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:58 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Three miles? That's quite the walk.

How wide is the path to the lake? Assuming there is one. The bike with a cart sounds like a good idea for the three mile trek. If no bike then you could make a cart put of PVC.

3Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:00 pm

Get your self a nice frameless backpack, air bladders for seat and back rest on tube instead of form and you can back everything in. small air pump, hang shoes on outside of pack. Use 1-1/2" abs pipping to carry your rods and use as a walking stick.
I hope this helps you out

4Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:13 pm

atavuss

atavuss
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

.:LOLLY:. wrote:Three miles? That's quite the walk.

How wide is the path to the lake? Assuming there is one. The bike with a cart sounds like a good idea for the three mile trek. If no bike then you could make a cart put of PVC.
the path to the lake that is a 3 mile walk each way is about as wide as a vehicle (no motorized vehicles allowed though) while the path to the lake that is 1/2 mile in gets very tight close to the lake and some spots you have to weave through trees.

5Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:19 am

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wow... A 3 mile trek each direction is tough. But when there's tubing to be done everything is possible. The bike is a good idea or even a radio flyer type trailer would do. Good luck.

6Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:09 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hope that lake is worth the 6 mile hike. If you ever make it post up a report. Good luck

7Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:19 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

3 mile hike? wow...thats a good ways...ive never had to go that far for a lake... i think that bike idea is your best bet....think it beats walking and having to lug all that equipment around, good luck out their.....hope you mash-em!  Thumbs Up 

8Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:07 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Holy smokes 3 miles each way! You are in my book a "hard core tuber"! Definitely post up the report when you pull out those fish from that honey whole worth the trek.

9Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:49 pm

Boy you guys are lazy lol
I have backpack to a few lakes that were like 15-20 miles in the high county and have done a lot of day hikes to lakes that where maybe 5 miles back in. It's well worth the hike, it's not like carry your tube loaded up down to say LP

10Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:56 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I would not want to deal with all that if I was only going for a few hours. If it were an all day outing with even camping out over night. HELL YEAH!!! I'd do it... Back pack it or biking it. Ice riddin my bike for distance. We would cruise from LA to SD for the @#&* of it. One way of course. We would am track back. Them good ole days.

11Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:35 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

miller wrote:Boy you guys are lazy lol
I have backpack to a few lakes that were like 15-20 miles in the high county and have done a lot of day hikes to lakes that where maybe 5 miles back in. It's well worth the hike, it's not like carry your tube loaded up down to say LP
I call BS! Your the lazyest person I know!

12Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:06 pm

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

n2deepfsw wrote:
miller wrote:Boy you guys are lazy lol
I call BS! Your the lazyest person I know!

OUCH!!!!!! Red Smile 

13Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:12 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have a customer that float tubes and some of his lakes are a bit of a hike in and he found the best way to get his gear there safely is to put everything in Rubbermaid bins or duffle bags to protect it and his rods in rod tubes then strap and bungee it all down to a hand truck/hand cart, he uses one from Harbor Freight with pneumatic wheels that we modified for him. The cart with gear is just as wide as he is and the tires can be aired up or down to suit the trail so it can pretty much go where ever he goes. He said after a day of hiking and tubing it's nice not to have to carry all that load on your legs.

A mountain bike would be good if you were not tubing it and just had fishing gear in a backpack but I think you will find riding with all that tackle and tubing gear is going to be rough and if you crash it's going to be pretty bad with all the extra weight on you.

14Packing A Super Fat Cat  Empty Re: Packing A Super Fat Cat Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 pm

atavuss

atavuss
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

There are numerous Brook trout that get over 3 lbs. in that lake so it should be worth the effort to get there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum