FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

TRIGGER PULLED - New CA Chehalis Pontube

+4
TheAsianGuy
fatboy531
wiseguy
dayhut
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1TRIGGER PULLED - New CA Chehalis Pontube Empty TRIGGER PULLED - New CA Chehalis Pontube Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:51 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

After much "research", aka, information avalanche - I decided to stop all the hand wringing and just order something!

BACKSTORY: In a serendipitous turn of events, a friend recently gave me a metal frame, personal pontoon boat. However, it was a "house brand" item from BPS as far as I can determine - and is long out of production. Worse, the bladders are suspect after several years of just sitting.

BACKSTORY, Part II: While searching around the intrawebs for potential bladder replacements, I ended up corresponding with a Mr. James Anton at Cover Bonanza.
I sent him pics of the 'toon and we determined that one of their replacement skin/pontoon sets could be made to work for my frame - but he also mentioned some things they had on clearance.

THE END RESULT: After perusing his suggestions, I grabbed a new 'Chehalis Frameless Pontoon.' It was one of those deals I couldn't pass up. It was less $ than the replacements I was considering and even my wife agreed it was a good choice.

As you might imagine, The Pillars of Heaven shook pretty hard after her comments   Razz 
But, in time, they settled back down and I figured it was time to get off my arse (and wallet) and pull the trigger.

I like the larger capacity the Chehalis offers, and it seems to be fairly de luxe in size and fitment... sort of a float tube on steroids. It has oars for propulsion, is Class I river rated (which 'aint all that big a deal, but it sounds good), and it uses standard size bladders, should they be needed in the future.

OTHER JUNK: I'm a big old man, at 240 lbs. This should do me for a few months. I am also a flatwater, lake man, on Carolina's "Freshwater Coast" - Lake Murray (sorry, not the one in San Diego!).

There are plenty of backwaters and coves, here, places where I can buck up the truck, toss in the pontube and go to it. So, I should have little worries with heavy water or severe conditions. Farm ponds are around, too, and I have permission to fish a few. I mostly like to fly fish and dunk worms and/or jigs for panfish, so I ought to be able to at least get off the bank with this thing.

This is my first inflatable fishing chair, though, so I'm thinking this will be an interesting fishing season.

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

congrats on your new toon. farm ponds, back waters etc, sounds like some good fishing to me.

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

miller wrote:congrats on your new toon. farm ponds, back waters etc, sounds like some good fishing to me.
It can be. Like anywhere, 90% of the water is devoid of fish. But you get to know the places and what works - most of the time.

But to be honest, if the Chehalis makes a good napping chair, any fish will be icing on the cake. At my age, a nice nap is its own reward.

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Congratz on the new toon! Hope to see some cool report from your side of the country!

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Congrats in the tube!!! Post reports. We wanna see the results.  Thumbs Up 

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Reports from "this side of the country?"
That's weird, because I'm originally from Oxnard, CA!
I'll cut you guys a deal - Ill post pics and narrative, if you agree to comment.
You probably noticed by now I don't mind running my mouth... But every commentator likes an audience!
Thanks for the good wishes, gents.

fatboy531

fatboy531
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

dayhut wrote:Reports from "this side of the country?"
That's weird, because I'm originally from Oxnard, CA!
I'll cut you guys a deal - Ill post pics and narrative, if you agree to comment.j
You probably noticed by now I don't mind running my mouth... But every commentator likes an audience!
Thanks for the good wishes, gents.

BRING IT!!!!  cheers 

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome to the world of pontooning. You'll have plenty of fun on the water soon.

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

TheAsianGuy wrote:Welcome to the world of pontooning. You'll have plenty of fun on the water soon.
But you know, Leo, if I get that sinking feeling, you're getting the blame first.
LOL  Red Smile 

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

LOL!! Well, I get that all the time...even sitting on dry land  Razz 

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

TheAsianGuy wrote:LOL!! Well, I get that all the time...even sitting on dry land  Razz 
Remember, you talked me into this!
Hahahaha  Razz Thumbs Up 

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

dayhyut,
did you ever do a review on this toon/tube or could you?
I had my eye on one of theses but decided smaller would work better for me.

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon wrote:dayhyut,
did you ever do a review on this toon/tube or could you?
I had my eye on one of theses but decided smaller would work better for me.
Sure I can do that.
Gimme a few weeks and I'll come up with something.
I can say it is an attempt at a hybrid frameless. It turns out to be a tube on steroids. My plan is to row where I want and then use the fins. My one concern at this stage is mounting a FF - with oars in the way. Should be interesting.

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

How much damage to your wallet did this toon do? Have you taken it out yet? I was looking at the SeaEagle Frameless pontoon. Its like a boat/toon/tube all in one and frameless! Pretty expensive, but very portable unlike my heavy a55 XT. But i love her anyway..lol

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Casting Call wrote:How much damage to your wallet did this toon do? Have you taken it out yet? I was looking at the SeaEagle Frameless pontoon. Its like a boat/toon/tube all in one and frameless! Pretty expensive, but very portable unlike my heavy a55 XT. But i love her anyway..lol
The damage was minimal - $139 shipped.
It was on clearance at Cover Bonanza. At that price, I dove in. I see now they aren't shown in their catalog. I haven't taken it out yet.
I've been resurrecting a neglected framed pontoon.
I repaired leaking bladders and added a rear cargo deck. Also, an under seat storage bin is now installed and I'm planning my way through rod holders and a foot deck/seated fishing deck.
I've also been blessed and have been fishing some nice ponds, so I haven't needed to hit the big lake. As the season moves along, I'll also move to the wider venue of Lake Murray, SC.

The Sea Eagles are another matter, though. They are not bladder on skin, of course, but one piece, thick reinforced vinyl. Not cheap, but rugged and worry free. I'd like to have one.  Thumbs Up

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Is this the one Walmart has for $279? Looks like the Outcast Stealth.

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

dayhut wrote:
Casting Call wrote:How much damage to your wallet did this toon do? Have you taken it out yet? I was looking at the SeaEagle Frameless pontoon. Its like a boat/toon/tube all in one and frameless! Pretty expensive, but very portable unlike my heavy a55 XT. But i love her anyway..lol

The Sea Eagles are another matter, though. They are not bladder on skin, of course, but one piece, thick reinforced vinyl. Not cheap, but rugged and worry free. I'd like to have one.  Thumbs Up

You got a sweet deal even if you only use it for one season!
Look forward to the mods non it.
I looked at the Sea Eagle at the shows. It is basically a little "SKINNY" raft. No fin power, just rowing or motor. By skinny, the outside is 9' by 48" but the inside is 6'2" by 16" That is narrow. It is bladderless.

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Renegade wrote:
You got a sweet deal even if you only use it for one season!
Look forward to the mods non it.
I looked at the Sea Eagle at the shows.  It is  basically a little "SKINNY" raft.  No fin power, just rowing or motor.  By skinny, the outside is 9' by 48" but the inside is 6'2" by 16"   That is narrow.   It is bladderless.
That's how I looked at the Chehalis - I can't go wrong, no matter. In time I want to move to framed toons, with rugged one piece pontoons mated to my frame. But having both for now is almost luxurious to me, a man who has had very little over the years.

19TRIGGER PULLED - New CA Chehalis Pontube Empty Chehalis Thu May 15, 2014 7:07 am

woodyk

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I would like to know how it works for you. I am 275 LBs and 6'3". I like the size of the Chehalis and thinking of getting one.

I did miss the one on Cover Bonanza though. I current have a Trout Unlimited Togiak float tube. It is a little small. I also looking at the Ponderary but like the looks of the Chehalis better.

Good luck with and keep us posted how it works out.

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

woodyk wrote:I would like to know how it  works for you. I am 275 LBs and 6'3". I like the size of the Chehalis and thinking of getting one.

I did miss the one on Cover Bonanza though. I current have a Trout Unlimited Togiak float tube. It is a little small. I also looking at the Ponderary but like the looks of the Chehalis better.

Good luck with and keep us posted how it works out.
Unfortunately, this season has gone badly for me so far.
I have yet to take the Chehalis out of the box, except to look it over.
But it doesnt eat anything, so can sit until Im available.
Wish I could be more help, although Im certain the thing would be suitable for you. Think of it as a tube on steroids. Row to your fishing grounds, stow the oars and fin around.
Repeat as needed.

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

If it doesn't eat anything, send it this way, I'll watch it for you.  Red Smile 

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

That's what I like about this site - lots of helpful people like wiseguy.

dayhut wrote:That's what I like about this site - lots of helpful people like wiseguy.

We are all here for you Dayhut  Thumbs Up 

Btw you need to try that Pontoon out .. I have been seriously thinking of going frameless pontoon .. I need more mobility myself .. I love my tube and fins but we can only kick for so long and far ...

WES

Renegade

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

It is the best to me. Folds up small, light weight, and the oars can be a life saver with leg cramps.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum