FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pier Fishing help

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Pier Fishing help Empty Pier Fishing help Thu May 15, 2014 4:40 pm

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So my girl wants to go fishing, but does not want to get on a boat and wants to fish close by. We agreed to go pier fishing. I have not fished off a pier in socal and pier fished when I was a kid up in the SF bay area catching perch.

My question is... what kind of tackle, rig, rod, reel, bait, etc..Can we get by with trout gear?
We will be fishing the Seal Beach pier tomorrow night, so any quick info will be very very appreciated!

2Pier Fishing help Empty Re: Pier Fishing help Thu May 15, 2014 4:51 pm

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

At the Oceanside Harbor fishing pier we used to go from around 5-8 pm on Sundays.
20 years ago btw.
We would use two setups. One heavy 7 foot pole with a 1 ounce weight and put a nice chunk of fresh local bait on it. Swinging underhand because you are not allowed to cast over hand from a pier, the weight would get us pretty far out there to maybe grab a lucky strike.
The other pole could be anything because we would rig up a crapie rig I think it's called, has like 7 tiny hooks on it. We would put, shrimp, squid or whatever on it and just dangle it right over the edge with just enough weight to drop it. That was fun for kids because we would always something with it.
I also believe you are not required to have a license if you are fishing from a designated fishing pier in the ocean. Be ready to deal with some of the friendliest people in the world mixed in with the scum of the earth.
Have fun and good luck.

3Pier Fishing help Empty Re: Pier Fishing help Thu May 15, 2014 5:16 pm

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

It looked like this one. Sold everywhere, already tied up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

4Pier Fishing help Empty Re: Pier Fishing help Thu May 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

dlobo is correct, no licenses are needed on the piers. A 5 gallon bucket or ice chest to stash your catch and sit on. Some kind of gaff on a string if you have time.

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

5Pier Fishing help Empty Re: Pier Fishing help Thu May 15, 2014 6:38 pm

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Saw a lot of guys with a basket on a long rope for their catch. Also remember guys lowering a net on a rope to get little bait fish.

6Pier Fishing help Empty Re: Pier Fishing help Sun May 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Casting Call

Casting Call
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks guys. We ended up going yesterday late afternoon, and left at 8pm because it got pretty cold and windy. I used squid strips. Not sure if my hooks were too big, or the bite was off, but didnt catch anything. I used size 2 octopus hooks on a dropper loop, two loops snipped for two hook ganion.
I lost two sabiki rigs to snags on the pier pilings. We fished right next to the tower for nothing. I did hear about some guy further down the pier landing a legal halibut, a few catching macs and a guy next to me getting a ray.

Side note, this couple was going to set up further down the pier and asked me what I was using for bait and if he could buy some off me. I gave him two squid and wished him luck. When we decided to pack up, I told my gf to find the couple and ask them if they wanted the rest of my squid. She came back saying the do want it and that they were having difficulty putting line on their reel and they were watching a Youtube video on their phone on how to do it.

After packing up, I walked over to where they were at and the guy was just a mess. He was putting line on his reel backwards, where the line was being guided onto the spool by the opposite side of the roller on the bail. I asked if he needed help and said YES!! So I took the rod, and he was filling the spool up with ...get this... 80 lb mono!!! It was a 2500 sized spinning reel so I told him this will not work.. even if the reel was big enough the line would be so stiff you wont feel anything. His wife said, I told you so! lol... Asked him again if he was sure he wanted to put that rope on his reel, he said yes. So I filled it up with about 5 yards of 80lb test, and told him I would be there next week and if he was going to be there also, to give me a call and I could help him get his setup at least close...We left right after I put the line on his reel. I didnt even bother to ask what size hooks he was going to use..lol..my gf was really cold at this point, her nose was runny and she looked miserable, so we left.  

Side note two. After leaving the pier, we go to Albertsons on PCH and I dropped off my gf by the door and told her where I would park. As I park and start closing my window, I hear this TICK TICK TICk sound. Turn to my left and this lady and little boy were in a car with a dead battery. Helped her jump start her car and she was very thankful.
Ok fish gods, you hear me? You owe me one,,,or two. Very Happy

7Pier Fishing help Empty Re: Pier Fishing help Sun May 18, 2014 7:27 pm

dlobo

dlobo
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

He was putting line on his reel backwards,
That's classic!
Woman and cold, bad combo. Better luck as summer comes around.
Sorry you got skunked, we did also, bad moon. Yeah, that's it the friggin' moon!

8Pier Fishing help Empty Re: Pier Fishing help Sun May 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Pier fishing is ALWAYS interesting..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum