FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Yesterday at 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Yesterday at 12:58 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by Jerdon Sat May 11, 2024 9:13 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

The C-Rig what are your thoughts.

+2
Tony G Fishing
jeffcpr
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Empty The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:04 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So the next issue of our magazine is out and one of the article's is on fishing the Caroline Rig. In the article it takes you back to this thread to (Continue the conversation). So here it is I have been setting up to use the C-rig but have not gotten the chance to as of yet. Questions, do you fish this rig and if so when do you like to use it how long is your leader, and what are you go to baits for the Carolina Rig.

The link to the Magazine.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Empty Re: The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:34 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

thats all i use in salt...with a split shot 12-15 above the hook....and my go to is the mighty sand worm lol....gulp....seems to work for me....

3The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Empty Re: The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:45 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Also great work on the magazine Jeff, good stuff!!!!

4The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Empty Re: The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:19 am

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I use the Carolina rig in the surf unless I am targeting halibut. I typically use 8 lb mainline with a 3/8-1/2 oz sliding sinker to a "Carolina Keeper" to a barrel swivel. Sometimes I use a red bead instead of the Carolina Keeper but I always have one or the other between my weight and the swivel. I then use about an 18" leader of 8 to 6 lb mono or flouro and a #6 or #8 octopus hook. I have tried all sorts of plastic bait but usually just go with old reliable - Gulp Camo Sandworms.

For freshwater, I occasionally use the C-rig or "Bubba Rig" when the fish are a little less active. I use 1/2 to 3/4 ounce sliding weight to a barrel swivel to a leader that is just a little shorter than the rod I am using and typically use a 7-10" worm or some sort of creature bait. I like this method because it allows you to feel almost every piece of structure (you drag the bait almost painstakingly slow).

5The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Empty Re: The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:22 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Thanks I am having so much fun with the magazine right now it is a lot of work but it is fun to build. Also so everyone knows there is a subscription button there input your e-mail and you will recieve the next issue in your e-mail, next issue is in December. As for the C-Rig I really want to try this in the salt, as you know and I will find out it does work. Thanks for the input.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Empty Re: The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:58 am

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I believe the carolina rig excels as a search bait. In fresh, I use about 24" of leader between my swivel and hook. I like to use a glass bead with 1/2-3/4oz egg sinker. I want the clacking sound of the sinker and glass to attract fish to the area, then see the easy offering behind it gliding along as a free meal. It'll help you learn the bottom and give you good ideas on what their friends in the area are wanting/willing to eat. For example, fish got red mouth, they're spending a lot of time digging for forage, red tail/sides = bedding, no significant damage on body = more opportunistic feeder, etc. Sometimes, I'll pop the tip and hop the rig. Sometimes I'll drag it slowly with some some pauses. I've caught fish doing all kinds of things with the C-rig. One thing I do notice, don't go too crazy on adding action to it. I found that more often than not, a simple lift of the rod tip before a pause will generate bites.
Baits: 4-10" worms, lizards, creatures, senkos, flukes and if I'm really confident, floating cranks

In the salt, I use up to a 4' leader with 1/2oz egg minimum up to 1oz torpedo with a slider. I typically use it for perch and the simple cast and retrieve method works wonders in the surf.
Baits: grubs up to 5" and flukes

One thing for sure, I do not fish finesse with it. I use 12lb minimum main line on up to 25lb flouro leader depending on where I am. When I typically fish it, it's usually around gravel substrates, clam beds, etc and the light lines break too easily with the slightest nick. I've even fished brush with it. Did I lose a lot of tackle? Yes, but the fish can't seem to get enough of it sometimes since they're not use to seeing that kind of presentation in that situation.

Last edited by kin on Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

7The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Empty Re: The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:32 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great job Jeff and the rest that donated their time and writing skills, really enjoyed the 2nd issue. Keep them coming. GT

Jeff, where can I find the info for the Placentia workshop? I would like to help out.

8The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Empty Re: The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:32 pm

I use the Carolina Rig As well . The best time I have Found to use this rig is when the Fish move deeper for example Summer , Fall and Winter . They are keying to Bait Fish These Times of Year , Early morning the fish move with the bait , but as soon as the Sun comes up the bait goes down and the fish sit on them . this is where the Carolina rig comes into play . A slow presentation that hardly moves and Makes alot of noise with the bead and Weight Clacking and you pounding it through Structure Thumbs Up

How I fish it :
- 1/2oz -3/4 oz egg sinker (you can change this weight to Bullet weights depending on your structure)
- you Can use a Barrel Swivel with 18" - 24" of floro leader , but it will be easier to rig with a Carolina keeper As you literally have to only tie the hook directly onto the line , eliminating 3 knots and more chances of losing fish . the keeper allows you adjust the length of your leaders on the fly. from heck 12" to  6ft  What a Face
- Baits 7-9" plastics . I personally like worms , but you can go Creature Baits and Tubes as well
- Depths 30ft +  (really have not had success with this rig shallower)
- Fishing in the Tube with this bait is  ideal as you want to just drag it , stay on the bottom this is why we use bigger weights.

if you have never seen a Carolina Keeper here it is  , [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good luck on the Water ,  

WES

9The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Empty Re: The C-Rig what are your thoughts. Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:11 pm

knuckledragger

knuckledragger
FTFF Gathering Officer

I use a little lighter weight on my rigs. Usually no more than a 1/8th ounce egg sinker. I like a slower fall, and most the water I fish is no deeper than 15'. As for bait, I almost exclusively use Zoom flukes. My favorite colors are arkansas shiner and baitfish.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum