FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Today at 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Today at 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Today at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Floating Noob from Nebraska

+4
bigfish
jeffcpr
Jerdon
half fast
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Floating Noob from Nebraska Empty Floating Noob from Nebraska Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:06 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Howdy from Lincoln, Nebraska.

I was looking for a way to expand my fly fishing with some form of water craft, initially I was set on a kayak. I typically chase the bluegill spawn in Iowa. I like the bass pro 12 footers (sit on top), and was seriously considering spending the coin. The weight and portability were big negatives for me, as well as storage. I decided to do more research, and I am glad I found your site. It seems the cumberland/marshland (I hunt whitetail also) float tube is right up my alley, as I want to stretch my dollar as far as it will go.

I have some strange ideas that I wanted to run by you folks. Has anybody tried attaching an inner tube (car type) to the front of the tube? I was thinking some 1/2 inch plywood cut in a circle, cut out some slots to strap around, and keep your feet out of the water. I understand you would have to paddle, but I am wondering if this is a foolish idea, or if anyone has tried. I understand it could easily deflate or puncture, but hey they are really cheap.

I really like some of the custom mods that have been posted here, especially rod holders. Well, it's nice to be able to post here and let me know what you think of my crazy idea. Not trying to steal anyone else's idea, I sure it has been brought up before. Thanks.

2Floating Noob from Nebraska Empty Re: Floating Noob from Nebraska Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:46 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Welcome to the forum half fast!
I'm wondering how you are going to get in and out of the water with a set up like that.
I have the Cumberland and my knees are out of the water. However, my hamstrings and butt are in the water. I'm pretty sure you may keep your feet dry but you butt will still get wet.

Hope this helps

http://jerdonking.tripod.com/

3Floating Noob from Nebraska Empty Re: Floating Noob from Nebraska Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:57 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I was trying to avoid using waders and fins in the colder water. Might still be fun to try. Seems kinda hillbilly (no offence to hillbillys), but I like the tube idea better than the pontoon idea. Is there a tube that performs like the cumberland that sits higher and might suit my idea without breaking the bank? As far as getting in/out, I would think when you attach, you use some kind of carabiner or d ring.

4Floating Noob from Nebraska Empty Re: Floating Noob from Nebraska Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:10 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Hey half fast, welcome to the forum glad you found us before you pulled the trigger on a Yak. You idea sounds different but hey if it works for you then give it a try.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

5Floating Noob from Nebraska Empty Re: Floating Noob from Nebraska Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:05 am

bigfish

bigfish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Welcome to the forum half fast!

I'm from Nebraska as well. I've got a group put together and we're going to start a Nebraska chapter here on the forum. We'll be calling ourselves Hooked in the Heartland. I would love to include you if you're interested. We hit a lot of spots in the state and also Kansas. Plus I'm going to be doing a complete fish/report of the I80 corridor lakes this year. PM me if you are interested.

As tubes go...Float tubes are great for fly fishing, but your butt and feet are gonna get wet. From my perspective it's not an issue. I fly fished from a pontoon craft some years back. You don't get in the water but there are some disadvantages. The cost is one of them if you're on a budget. The killer for me was the paddles. I was constantly having to put down my rig to adjust the craft.

Float Tubing never requires me to put down my fishing rig. Using fins I can make minor adjustments without even thinking about it! This is a huge plus in windy conditions. And the portability and access are simply unmatched.

However...there is a pontoon boat out there that you can deflate. I don't have a link to it at the moment, but if you're interested I can look it up. It still isn't quite as portable as a Float Tube and of course it cost more as well.

Looking to hear from you...Keep your lines tight!

6Floating Noob from Nebraska Empty Re: Floating Noob from Nebraska Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:48 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome aboard half fast. I visited my cousin in Lincoln (1972), went to lunch and wore blue. It just happened that Nebraska was playing UCLA that day, I was in a sea of red, need I say more?........enjoy the site........GT

7Floating Noob from Nebraska Empty Re: Floating Noob from Nebraska Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:50 pm

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

bigfish wrote:Welcome to the forum half fast!

I'm from Nebraska as well. I've got a group put together and we're going to start a Nebraska chapter here on the forum. We'll be calling ourselves Hooked in the Heartland. I would love to include you if you're interested. We hit a lot of spots in the state and also Kansas. Plus I'm going to be doing a complete fish/report of the I80 corridor lakes this year. PM me if you are interested.

As tubes go...Float tubes are great for fly fishing, but your butt and feet are gonna get wet. From my perspective it's not an issue. I fly fished from a pontoon craft some years back. You don't get in the water but there are some disadvantages. The cost is one of them if you're on a budget. The killer for me was the paddles. I was constantly having to put down my rig to adjust the craft.

Float Tubing never requires me to put down my fishing rig. Using fins I can make minor adjustments without even thinking about it! This is a huge plus in windy conditions. And the portability and access are simply unmatched.

However...there is a pontoon boat out there that you can deflate. I don't have a link to it at the moment, but if you're interested I can look it up. It still isn't quite as portable as a Float Tube and of course it cost more as well.

Looking to hear from you...Keep your lines tight!

Thanks for the invite. I would love to join, but my problem is time. My father in law taught me everything I know about fly fishing, hunting and muzzleloaders. He is in his early 70's now, and I take every opportunity to hunt or fish with him. He lives in the country near Red Oak Iowa. That's why I mostly fish in Iowa. I owe him a lot for what he has taught me. I was a city slicker when I met him, but I went through a 10 year redneck apprenticeship, and graduated with honors. Got a couple nice deer on the wall.

I really like the float tube idea, and will probably get the cumberland in about 3 weeks. I am off 5/20-30, I will be going to Iowa fishing the bluegill spawn/prespawn. We hit several lakes within 100 miles of his house. My mother in law fly fishes also (hunts whitetail with muzzleloader too).

I am rethinking my crazy idea, and have come up with a new one, but I think I will try it out before I talk about it too much. I could use some help with dimensions of the cumberland (width, length), and what kind of tubing you guys use for your mods. PVC, abs, ect and do you use 1" or 1.5" or what. Hypotheticaly, if you were going to build a frame from the material, with rod holder type tubes on both sides, what the dimensions would be. I like to experiment with fishing techniques, and muzzleloader rifles.

I picked up a fly rig last fall at a garage sale, it is a st croix pacemaker with an automatic reel. The fella had it rigged up with a small hook for a worm. Got me thinking. I got an 8wt with the first 15' of sinking line, so I rigged it up with a steel leader. I haven't tried it yet, but sounds like fun to me. I have never fly fished with live bait.

To all, thanks for the site, and the mod, you have me thinking. I am real glad I didn't buy a kayak.

8Floating Noob from Nebraska Empty Re: Floating Noob from Nebraska Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Welcome Halffast! enjoy your stay....cant wait for the pics of the set up....

Tony G

9Floating Noob from Nebraska Empty Re: Floating Noob from Nebraska Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:00 pm

NeKro

NeKro
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Welcome to the forum. Lincoln, Nebraska, been there twice. Its a nice city stayed ad lincoln and visited omaha and council bluffs to gamble lol.

10Floating Noob from Nebraska Empty Re: Floating Noob from Nebraska Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:14 am

half fast

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Appreciate all the replies. I am rethinking tube, might go with a pontoon, found a killer deal on classic accessories colorado (not xt) for about 250 off list price (new). The only thing I don't like is the claimed weight of 71 lbs. Seems like a rugged toon for the money. It has good reviews, and I don't want to spend big bucks on my first boat.  I can carry a lot more gear, and I am out of the water. Still thinking and researching.

Anybody own a venture outdoors pontoon? Looking at the light 8t, aluminum frame 50 lbs, but spendy.

11Floating Noob from Nebraska Empty Re: Floating Noob from Nebraska Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:59 am

Catman1979

Catman1979
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Welcome!! Man, I saw Nebraska and new I had to say hi and help you out! I spent a week out there last year, such a cool place with some nice folks. Everything that CA makes is solid. There customer support is top notch, and the quality is up there. There are a few better companies on the market in terms of durability, but they make a very well designed product. With that said, mine (CXT) is around eighty pounds assembled, and gets very heavy when you start adding on to it, at which point the wheel is pretty useless. The other models are just as cool though, and much less in weight. I did a write up on all of the mods I did on mine, hope it helps in your choice!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you go the 'tube route, know that you will be on top in regards to stealth. If you are targeting ponds there, it would be killer ...just watch for snapping turtles Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum