FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

FishEye Camera Jig - First try...

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1FishEye Camera Jig - First try... Empty FishEye Camera Jig - First try... Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:25 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Thanks to the generosity of Jack at teamfishco, I was given one of their new FishEye camera jigs to try and so I gave it a go last weekend for the first time and got some interesting results.

Obviously, I have a lot to learn about videography in general and shooting underwater footage in particular, but I’m dedicated and I won’t be satisfied until I get the whole deal figured out and get some decent footage.

The jig itself is high quality, very simple, and intuitive to understand and use, but it takes some finesse to get it right and like any new equipment, the more you use it, the better you get at using it. So I’m happy to be climbing the learning curve.

When I was in college, I had an art professor who became a true mentor and he used to say, "You're not here to make art; you're here to learn how to make art - they're not the same thing. Quit focusing on the results and focus on the process. Once you fully understand and master the process, then you can purposefully create anything you can imagine. Otherwise, your pieces aren't art, they're 'happenings'."

So for a while, I'm going to focus on learning the process in the knowledge that the results I'm hoping for will flow from that understanding and experience. It can only get better!

I plan on adding underwater footage to my own videos to make them more interesting and I hope I can get some good footage to share with teamfishco to help them promote the FishEye camera jig.

I have an Ion underwater camera on the way but for this first test, I tried it with my GoPro knockoff and I quickly discovered that the camera in the housing was only just slightly negative, so I had to add some weights and I didn't notice that they tilted the camera and screwed up my “aim” towards the bait. I was working it drop-shot style.

Rookie mistake.

The water was murky so I used about an 18 in leader – obviously, a longer leader will make it easier to keep the bait in frame, but it will move the action further away and there will be less detail. Better water conditions will help a lot.

I think I understand how and why this video sucks, but I’m very encouraged that I got any results at all on my first try and didn’t end up losing the whole setup!

I learned a couple of things from this video as a fisherman and one is that the “skirt” on the bait barely moves at all, which I found surprising. The other is that my 8 lb fluorocarbon leader isn’t exactly as “invisible” underwater as one would hope. In the raw footage, it's quite visible. I’m going to use plain mono next time to compare.

I also believe if nothing else, this video shows that fish often check out your bait carefully before deciding to give it a nibble, and using a product like Hot Sauce gives them something to smell when they're considering to bite or not. I believe the reasoning behind the idea of why you should use these products is valid. Especially true of a sleeper rod drop-shot pretty much just sitting there. The fact that I didn't actually catch a fish on this bait doesn't mean the idea is flawed. I caught 8 mackerel that day, two small halibut, and 4 barred sand bass, all on Hot Sauced baits.

So here’s my first try…

Mackerel, lizard fish, and a few fleeting and shadowy characters difficult to identify.

2FishEye Camera Jig - First try... Empty Re: FishEye Camera Jig - First try... Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:06 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is so cool dude thanks for sharing.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3FishEye Camera Jig - First try... Empty Re: FishEye Camera Jig - First try... Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:51 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Very cool and thanks for sharing.
You may need a test fleet of cameras to see what works best.
cheers

4FishEye Camera Jig - First try... Empty Re: FishEye Camera Jig - First try... Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:18 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Nice work Bob, would be interesting in how u rigged the jig and the bait.........GT

5FishEye Camera Jig - First try... Empty Re: FishEye Camera Jig - First try... Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:10 am

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

GT, The rig for drop-shot and trolling are exactly the same, except you point the camera down instead of backwards and you attach your line above the camera so it all hangs straight.

The GoPro style housing has an adapter for mounting to a tripod screw like on the rig, and that GoPro adapter also allows you to adjust the camera to point down instead of horizontal. The camera hangs in the middle pointing down and you attach your bait just like you would for trolling, but because you're not moving much, it just hangs down.

Once I get some decent footage, I'll be doing a complete review of the rig, so any questions anyone has, please let me know and I'll be sure to address them in the review as well as answer them here as best I can.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum