FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Today at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Today at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Today at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Today at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Today at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL

+2
Jerdon
woodpig
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:55 pm

woodpig

woodpig
FTFF Gathering Officer

So these are presently the two frontrunners in my search for a new float tube. I've seen a number of comparisons between the Cumberland and the Outcast tubes (Fish Cat 4 and Super Fat Cat), but haven't seen any comparisons to the ODC 420. Both look like very good tubes and can be had for about the same money. I'm curious whether anyone on here has tried both and can speak to pros/cons of each.

A little info on me and my situation:  I'm 6'1", 225 lbs. I would be using a tube primarily for fly fishing on small lakes (usually 50 acres or less) in Michigan for bass and panfish. One of the main reasons I want a tube is to fish a lake called Wakeley Lake near Grayling, MI (check it out; it's amazing [url=http://www.michigantrailmaps.com/member-profile/3/228/])This is a walk-in access lake with a 1/4 mile trail from parking area to water's edge; way too far to lug my beast of a kayak but not bad at all for a tube with backpack straps.

I don't see myself ever putting a fish finder, motor or any kind of homemade PVC contraption to hold rods and whatnot on my tube. I have a kayak for that kind of stuff. Smile With a tube, I take fins, one rod, 2 or 3 fly boxes max, plus the usual assortment of doodads (tippet spools, forceps, hook file, smartphone, car keys). I would really love a tube that could comfortably carry me, the aforementioned gear and a very small cooler for drinks and snacks.

My guess is that one of these tubes is just as good as the other, but if there is something that really stands out about one or the other--good or bad--I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks and Tight Lines,
Bryon

2Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I am 5' 10 and 200 pounds. I have the Cumberland and it is a little bigger than the 420. I think the Cumberland will fit you better as I have been in both. I do think the Cumberland is little better made as well. You may want to do a search on the Creek Company on this forum, their customer service is not up to par by most reviewers here.

3Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:16 pm

woodpig

woodpig
FTFF Gathering Officer

Thanks for your reply Jerdon; I did not know that about Creek Company's customer service. I will do a search on them here as you suggested.
I do like the Cumberland a lot. I have heard that the foam seat flexes some causing a "taco" effect; have you experienced that?

4Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:29 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I have not experienced the "taco effect" myself. My butt may be the correct size to combat that. I have gone fishing without the spreader bar and lap net and do notice it will pinch up a bit, but the foam seat stays flat for me.

5Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:40 pm

woodpig

woodpig
FTFF Gathering Officer

Interesting, I have seen videos of others fishing without the spreader bar as well and wondered what that was about. I like having it there myself; at least, I did on my old tube. Assuming I wouldn't mind it on the Cumberland, I'm assuming that would keep the dreaded taco effect at bay. Smile
I also read somewhere that the inflatable seat pads that you can get for the Fish Cat 4 Deluxe will fit in the Cumberland, so if I didn't like the foam I could replace it with the inflatable cushions.
Thanks again for your feedback Jerdon -- I appreciate it.

6Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

When I do not have the spreader bar and net it is because I forgot it somewhere along the journey.

7Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:27 pm

Capt Ray

Capt Ray
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I had an ODC 420 but not the ultra light. I never had any issues with it but after fishing with a friend who has a Cumberland, I would go with the Cumberland. Just a bit more room and better capacity. I would say quality wise the nod would go to the ODC but not by much.

8Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:39 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I am in the same boat I really like the Cumberland, I have had the ODC 420 (Grey one) it was great, bu the Cumberland is a better choice. Just a little more room, better valve placement, and the pockets hold more and work better.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

9Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:41 pm

woodpig

woodpig
FTFF Gathering Officer

I really appreciate the responses guys. I'm about 99% certain I'm going to go with the Cumberland at this point.

Once I get the float tube purchased, I'll probably be back on here mining for information on the best fins, lol. Looking hard at the Omega Flip Fins, but I've got a while to wait on those. Smile

10Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:12 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Not to try and change your mind but there is a new float tube brand coming out soon, at least new to the U.S. Seven Bass they have some unique ideas and products, they will be selling on Amazon and it should be maybe next month when they are ready for sale. You can find out about some of there product at the thread below or search them up on Facebook as ( Seven Bass Design USA)

I am in no way saying that the Cumberland is not worth, we do get a 15% discount on there products I can give you that info if you would like. But there is Seven Bass as well and they are almost here just wanted you to know.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

11Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:50 pm

woodpig

woodpig
FTFF Gathering Officer

I will certainly give 7 Bass a look. I'm hoping to stay under $250 for the tube, but, as I won't be using it until next spring (in all likelihood), I would consider something that was more expensive if I felt it was worth the money.

12Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:32 am

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

I truly mean no offense, but I'm a bit confused why you've budgeted almost as much for fins as you have for a tube? I use $20 fins in the most challenging conditions possible and they're great.

As a matter of fact, one of the young guys I tube with asked me what fins I was using because even though I'm 30 years older, he was having a tough time keeping up when we were pushing. He was using diver's fins and I was using my cheapo Typhoon Tsunami snorkel fins for $20 from eBay.

Spend the money on the tube, it's the key to the whole deal.

13Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:48 am

woodpig

woodpig
FTFF Gathering Officer

Ornery Bob wrote:I truly mean no offense, but I'm a bit confused why you've budgeted almost as much for fins as you have for a tube?... Spend the money on the tube, it's the key to the whole deal.

No offense taken at all, Bob, it's a very fair question that you ask, and one that has certainly occurred to me as well. I'm by no means committed to the idea of buying expensive fins just for the sake of spending money, but I can see that a lot of folks are using fins that look way more efficient than my old Caddis step-in fins that came with my old tube back in 1997, and I would like to get in on some of that action this time around. Smile

I've just been reading reviews on here (and elsewhere on line), watching YouTube videos, etc., trying to see what people like, and the Omega fins seem to keep popping up. If there are cheaper fins that work as well that folks want to recommend, I would certainly give them a look.

What I like about the Omega fins is the ease of adjustment, and the quick-release closure on the straps (which would appear to allow one to adjust the fit only once and forget about it). And, of course, the flip-up feature is nice as well, although that's not that big a deal to me, as I normally put on my fins right at the water's edge, which means I only walk in them the few steps, backward, into the tube.

Like I said, I'm not looking to spend money just for a name or anything like that--those are just the fins that looked good to me, and they happen to be a little pricey.

EDIT/ADDENDUM - Okay, I just got back from a brief foray over to eBay to look at the Typhoon Tsunami fins that you mentioned, Bob, and they appear to have many of the same features as the Omega fins do. That would suggest to me that probably many other less expensive fins probably have these features, and I should indeed do more shopping at those lower price points before making a decision.
I appreciate the advice as always. Smile

14Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:38 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Here is a link to a report I did when I got a new pair of Omega Fins about 3 years ago.
\

15Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:36 am

Capt Ray

Capt Ray
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Any fin that has a long flexible blade will work. Most all of them come with quick release buckles on the straps. The longer and more flexible the blade the less effort needed for propulsion, hence Bob's success using snorkeling fins.

16Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:44 pm

woodpig

woodpig
FTFF Gathering Officer

Capt Ray wrote:Any fin that has a long flexible blade will work. Most all of them come with quick release buckles on the straps.  The longer and more flexible the blade the less effort needed for propulsion, hence Bob's success using snorkeling fins.

Thanks Ray; I think I will definitely be looking at some of the more reasonably priced fins.

17Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Empty Re: Cumberland vs. ODC 420 UL Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:18 pm

Misfitdog

Misfitdog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I Would also recommend the Cumberland , if not looking at outcast float tubes as there customer service is top notch on both these companies . Creek Company I have had an ODC gray model and I experienced tearing in the pockets along the seams and these pockets where in no way over filled or strained in any way . Creek company customer service was no help and very RUDE !!!

As for the taco effect on a tube I use a fish cat 4 deluxe and I do not use the net tray or a spreader bar and I love the freedom  . the taco effect is mostly caused by under inflation of a tube .  

As for my fins I use the Oceanic Viper Fins and love them , they move water very good , have a great venting option for removing strain on the legs and I can kick all day I them very comfortable  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum