FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Thu May 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by jeffcpr Thu May 09, 2024 10:56 am

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float Tube or Pontoon ????

+2
Jerdon
jeffcpr
6 posters

What do you ride

Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Vote_lcap280%Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Vote_rcap 80% [ 4 ]
Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Vote_lcap20%Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Vote_lcap220%Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Vote_rcap 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Empty Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:38 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So this forum started when I first started with a float tube. It was never meant to be just about float tubes, even though the title might say that. I think we are more of a small inflatable watercraft (as long as some part of your legs are in the water cheers ). So what do you ride a float tube, a Pontoon, or both? Let us know why you choose it, and maybe even add a picture. I will be working on social media to help others understand we are more than just Float Tube fisherman post up and thanks.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Empty Re: Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:06 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

My assumption is that the mass here is of the Float Tube users, but I know we have Pontooners as well. I have always seen them as similar in sport just one being able to cover a little more ground then the other do to Oars. So what are you a tuber or tooner.

3Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Empty Re: Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:01 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

5 tubes and 1 toon let us know what you use just wondering.

4Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Empty Re: Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:31 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I would have bet we are more like 50 or 60 tubes to each toon.

5Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Empty Re: Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:27 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I am sure we are more like that Jerdon, but I think we need to build the Toon side of things.

6Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Empty Re: Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:51 am

Hunt

Hunt
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I have both, as you guys know. The pontoon is my favorite because it has more storage options and has oars and a motor mount. A few weeks ago I ventured out on Lake Ontario with it. I had to motor about a mile to where I was to fish. That is not going to happen with my tube. Here are a couple of shots. First is where I pulled up to take a bathroom break. Second is of the first smallie I caught that day.

http://www.integrity-traders.com

7Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Empty Re: Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:47 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I presently have (3) three Cumberland float tubes and I really don't need nor want a pontoon nor a Flatform for my style of fishing.
I believe that the cost of the inflatable vessel(s) is right there on-top of the list of concerns for most of us.

Honestly, I would purchase another Hobie kayak w/the mirage drive before purchasing a pontoon or a Flatform if I wanted to cover distances.
The hands-free kayak is more of a water dynamic vessel than the pontoons and Flatforms but none of these can hold position in the wind and in the water currents like the hands-free float tube.

My pre-inflated float tube; with a single rod rack attached to the FT, slips straight in and out of the back of my 4-Runner with ease.
From the moment that I park my vehicle, I can unload all of my gear and be ready to launch within the first 5-minutes.
My float tube also has plenty of storage in it's built-in compartments for all of my gear. Also, the net storage compartment on the back of my seat is very useful for carrying the larger bulkier items like my flexible air bladder inflation tube, which I will never float tube fish with out!
And of course ... I have to pick and choose how much and which gear that I will carry because I don't care to carry along; on the float tube, tackle that won't get used during my session.

Now and then, I make that "oops" cast and need to do the "kick-of-shame" in order to retrieve my lure. We all know this kick well!!
Most of the time I snag on the harbor floors (no problem getting back to the snag) but at those times that I cast into a moor boat rope, dock or snag on the barnacles along the docks, I'll need to at times squeeze my FT into these spots and I can't fathom the thought of attempting to squeeze a larger vessel like the pontoon or the Flatform into some of these very same spots. I would more than likely end up loosing more lures than I would ever care to imagine. $$$$$

Hands free maneuverability and vessel positioning ... well those are both important topics to cover where I feel that the float tube excels over the pontoon in this arena.
I find that I need both of my hands at the same time to better control whatever my immediate; fish-on or my oops, situation is.

I truly believe that each vessel offers it's best application to specific fishing and water conditions and that the Float Tube is best suited for the inner harbors (my Area's of Operation) and the assorted conditions that are offered-up there.

My 36" 21 lb PB Halibut w/ single rod rack

With the double rod rack attached to my float tube (I personally prefer using the single rod rack, simpler).

w/ single rod rack

Just my 2-cents

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

8Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Empty Re: Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:12 am

rjb_Skins

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I recently acquired a used Pontoon boat, but have yet to try it (hope to do so this summer on a nearby lake). Looking forward to that. I see Dan is a float tuber, and looking good wearing his Wader Skins. Whichever way you go (pontoon boat or float tube), be safe in the water. Your best option to enjoy this sport is to wear Wader Skins...check them out on the website at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Happy Fishing!!!

Ron Beltramo
Founder of Wader Skins
Proud advertiser on the Float Tube Fishing Forum

http://www.waderskins.com

9Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Empty Re: Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:10 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I sure wish i had a pair this weekend.  I am a wader dude but your wader skins make sense in the heat wave we are having.  There are many other reasons to own these but for me the heat is a big reason.

10Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Empty Re: Float Tube or Pontoon ???? Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:29 am

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have a pontoon but I perfer the float tube. It is eaier to control for the type of fishing I do.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum