FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Today at 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float Tube vs Pontoon Boat

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Float Tube vs Pontoon Boat Empty Float Tube vs Pontoon Boat Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:19 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Found this online and just thought I would share as well as see if you all think this is a fair comparison.

FLOAT TUBES:
*Smaller and easier to transport than pontoons.
*Generally less costly than pontoons.
*Generally easier to propel with fin power alone and to hold position…hands free.
*Generally lower profile on the water…less wind resistance.
*Can be more easily maneuvered into smaller openings.
*Better for carrying/packing into waters not easily accessible from the road.
*Better for launching and fishing on very small waters.
*Limited in speed and range. Slower than pontoons and not able to cover as much water.
*Difficult to troll with any speed or for long periods.
*Harder to propel and maneuver against wind and waves…without oars or motors.
*Not as safe on moving water…especially big fast rivers.
*Lower seating height…less visibility into the water and reduced casting efficiency.
*Generally less storage space and cargo capacity than pontoons.

PONTOONS:
*Usually much larger, heavier and more difficult to transport and store.
*Usually more expensive, even for low-end models.
*Higher profile on the water increases wind resistance.
*Heavier and with more drag…more difficult to propel and/or control with fins alone.
*Oar power increases speed and range over float tubes…allows trolling.
*Usually set up for mounting electric trolling motors…for more speed and range.
*Ideal for trolling…with the proper electric motor and a good deep cycle battery.
*Suitable for running rivers…if large enough and sturdy enough.
*Not suitable for packing into remote waters.
*Provides higher seating…better angle of visibility into water.
*Higher seating improves casting, line control, and fish battling options.
*Usually more storage and cargo-carrying capacity than tubes.
*Optional standing platform and lean bar increases fishing options.
*Greater floatation capacity and shallower launching requirements.

Do you think this is accurate just wondering there has always been talk in the past way not have a Pontoon Board or section? I always felt that these were fine being lumped together. But of course there are some big differences for sure.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2Float Tube vs Pontoon Boat Empty Re: Float Tube vs Pontoon Boat Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:31 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I can have my float tube inflated, loaded in my vehicle and have all of my gear completely stowed away in the pouches the night before and I can launch and start fishing within 10-minutes (and some times within 5-minutes) of my parking.
Of course, I'll need to add minutes for longer walks to the water such as: Isle Grissom, NPH CGS and Lake Perris.
*Can a pontoon do this?

My comparison questions:
*Is there a longer time spent inflating, assembling frame and setting up all the electronics, set up trolling motors (if used), battery's and gear prior the commencement of launching and fishing?
*How much time is actually needed to get a pontoon ready to start fishing?

I can put all of my gear away and be ready to drive away within 5-minutes of getting back to my vehicle.
*How much time is needed to disassemble the frame, all of the equipment, gear, electronics, remove the trolling motor (if used), deflate the pontoon and put all of my gear away and be ready to drive away?

I believe that a pontoon requires much more storage space at home, it requires more space than what a small compact car offers during transport to and from the fishing hole and it takes a much longer amount of time to assemble it and to disassemble it.

My 2-cents on this topic.

SP Dan      <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

3Float Tube vs Pontoon Boat Empty Re: Float Tube vs Pontoon Boat Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I have both, toon and tube.

For me the toon is too cumbersome or time consuming to assemble and dissemble at the site I am going to fish. I leave my toon completely assembled, partially inflated, and hanging in the garage. It is a space taking toy. It does take longer to load and unload because of the weight and size. I made wheels to help it travel from the truck to wherever, and it is my preference to back up to the water and drop it in. The weight of the toon is a deciding factor in where to launch, not necessarily the water depth. There is no chance of me putting the toon in a car and going fishing, I will use the tube.

The toon is easier to fight the wind with because of the oars. However, I use trolling rod holders if I want to keep a line in the water. On the water the toon is preferable most of the time, is is easier to handle once in the water in all but the tightest of locations. While the toon kicks slower than the tube it is a non issue for me, and fighting fish I notice no difference. Over submerged trees and heavy vegetation I can lift my feet out of the water and just use oars. On thick vegetation I can sit right on top of the weeds and drop my lures into pockets or clearings, in the tube I need to stay at the edges.

I switched from a Huminbird Fishing Buddy to a Deeper Pro fish finder because of the mounting problems with the FishingBuddy on the toon. The Deeper Pro has its own set of problems, but it weighs nothing and floats on top of the water so crossing thick vegetation is no problem.

As far as storage goes the toon wins in every way. I can take 6 rods if I want. I usually take four or five and have a great big net in the last holder. As far as net goes I went from a shallow 12 by 18 to
a 19 by 21 deep net. My particular toon has the air-valves in the pockets so I keep them clear, just in case. However, I have more storage behind the seat than in my tube, plus small stuff in the pockets.

I have no experience with moving water, Lake Perris only. I really hope this helps.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum