FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fish finder questions

+9
Alakai
TobyB
jeffcpr
Enrique
jplee3
Litefoot
Jerdon
SP Dan
562fly
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Fish finder questions Empty Fish finder questions Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:10 pm

562fly

562fly
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I was thinking of getting a fish finder for my tube. I was wondering if anyone had any info or suggestions on their experience using one.

2Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:16 pm

I know SP Dan and Alakai use them. I think they both use the same one now. I got one for Christmas but have yet to use it. But I think it's the same one that Alakai had before. So maybe he can give a review on both, lol.

SP Dan uses the "Deeper PRO+ Smart Sonar" - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This is on my wish list as my next upgrade. I think Dan may even have a review somewhere on the forum already.

I got this one. It is basic for water depth and finding structure
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

3Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:45 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I just purchased the larger screened iPhone XS Max
for viewing the Deeper Pro+ FF on it.
It will be like watching MLF on my television!  Smile lol

Last edited by SP Dan on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

4Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:37 pm

562fly

562fly
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Has anyone used the fishin buddy by hummin bird?

5Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

562fly wrote:Has anyone used the fishin buddy by hummin bird?

I still use 120 the black and white model. 
Here is a link to a review I did a few years back.

That said, I was really impressed with Dan's Deeper Pro unit. It has more features than the Fishing Buddies and weighs nothing. Not to mention  installation is a string you tie to your tube.

6Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Fishfindermounts.com is one of our sponsors they make YouTube videos on different fish finders they helped me out when I bought mine you might want to check them out to it's not easy trying to find the right fish finder good luck

7Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:35 am

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I got the Garmin Striker Plus 4CV - I'm sure it's a bit overkill for the application and the setup to power it is pretty bulky too (had to build a battery box using an Apache 1800 dry box from Harbor Freight, but it fits the pockets of my Outcast FT perfectly). 
I've only used it once and would like to use it more just so I get a better basic understanding of fish finders in general. I do like the idea of the Deeper fish finders, and how portable/compact they are, so I may end up picking one up later down the road.

8Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:14 am

Enrique

Enrique
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I have the Garmin stryker 4 as well and its does the job. Ive compared readings with SP Dan and seems to be accurate. Ive used it in shallow to as deep as 40ft depth. Not sure i would be in much deeper water on my tube...

Sent from Topic'it App

9Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:29 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

My Deeper Pro+ has functioned perfectly for me in waters as shallow as 4-ft and all the way down to 80-ft deep in LA Harbor during the high tides.
I haven’t fished any deeper than that, so that’s as far as I can tell you inwhich it’s worked for me.

The Deeper Pro+ is smaller that a tennis ball, it tethers to my flow tube buy a string, it connects to my iPhone by Bluetooth, it displays on the 3" x 6" screen of my iPhone XS Max and it only weighs a mere 3.4 ounces. It uses a USB 2.0 to charge, it operates for approximately six hours and it fits snuggly into the cup holder on the float tube when it’s not being used or if you are walking or hiking with your float tube on your back. I found that it’s the perfect float tube friendly Fish Finder.

I luv it mine I totally recommend it to everyone!

SP Dan    <“))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

10Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:41 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I also want with the Garmin Striker 4 it works well the screens just a little small the battery box is right on the outside of the tube good luck

11Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I also went with the Garmin Striker 4 it works well the screens just a little small the battery box is right on the outside of the tube good luck

12Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:02 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Don't forget for the bigger fish finder and battery you can use the Fishfindermount.com system they are bulky but can handle any fish finder and battery you want to use.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

13Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:39 pm

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have the Garmin Striker 4 and I use the brocraft mount for it. It would pretty good, just need to get a water proof batery bix if you go that route I think the fishfindermounts.con mount is the way to go. wish I would have went that route. Its a little more but is the way to go if using a fish finder on the tube.

14Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:44 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I love mine thanks for posting the Picture Jeff I'm looking at a 5 or 7 inch with side img cheers

15Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Yeah, it's hard to use another hand held fish finder after seeing SP Dan's. I had it on my wish list for Santa this year. He stiffed me so I have to save up Smile

16Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:06 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I still highly recommend the super lightweight, super functional Deeper Pro+ to everybody out there!
You need to get away from those heavy batteries and those oversized FF mounts people.
Deeper Pro+ works directly with your smart phone by Bluetooth.
Give it a try! You’ll thank me!

SP Dan <“))><

17Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:44 pm

562fly

562fly
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Do you have a special place to mount your phone or you have your phone in your hand the whole time in the water?

18Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:22 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

My phone is on my neck in a waterproof "bag" or pouch I just tether it to my tray and use it there. I now have the same finder.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

19Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:28 am

stickboy

FTFF Gathering Officer

Can you guys tell me approximately how much it cost for for the entire garmin striker set up (battery etc.) and the deeper pro set up. Thanks

20Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:11 pm

Enrique

Enrique
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

stickboy i got the garmin striker portable kit thru bass pro for just under 190. It included a carrying case, battery, fish finder unit with transducer and mounting hardware. You can save a bit by not getting the kit but i liked the idea of being able to take it anywhere. I plan on renting a skiff from time to time and would like to have the fish finder available.

21Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:43 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

The Deeper Pro+ will also work wonderfully on a skiff and or a kayak as well!  
You can carry it in your shirt pocket, it is smaller than a tennis ball and it only weighs 3.4 ounces, it tethers on a string and it connects via Bluetooth to your smart phone.   You’ll just need to tie it to your vessel and it will float next to your choice of vessel.

Don’t under estimate how powerful the Deeper Pro+ is!

SP Dan    <“))><

22Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:09 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I got the Deeper pro+ for it's versatility as I can cast it in a local park lake, or from my float tube or anywhere I like.

If you are diligent and enjoy negotiating you can find them far cheaper than any Garmin / Hummingbird / anything.

For costs, your best bet is probably JP Lee since I think he just got the whole set up a few months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

23Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:13 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I totally agree with Alakai! Thumbs Up

24Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:14 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Can anyone here explain the difference between the Deeper Pro and the Deeper Pro + ?

25Fish finder questions Empty Re: Fish finder questions Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:20 am

jplee3

jplee3
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

stickboy wrote:Can you guys tell me approximately how much it cost for for the entire garmin striker set up (battery etc.) and the deeper pro set up.  Thanks

$185 - Garmin Striker Plus 4CV + cover + transducer
$25.94 - RAM Mount and adapter
$37.78 - Lithium Ion Battery
$11.24 - Harbor Freight Apache 1800 Case
$20~ - various connections, heat shrink tubing for the wiring, screws for the mount retrofit

I *think* that's about it. So roughly $280 for the setup. Haha, should have just gotten a Deeper Pro LOL!

Obviously if you don't "need" the ClearVue and extra bells and whistles (probably overkill for float tubing most harbors) then you could go with the $99 standard Garmin Striker 4 and save a bit. Obviously the same deal with mounting options if you want to get more creative.

You could probably get away with a sub-$200 build-out if you go with different components that me. I chose the Lithium Ion battery because I didn't want the extra weight and bulk of a sealed lead acid battery.

I've always contemplated getting a kayak, which is sort of what impacted my decision on getting this setup.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum