FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Today at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Today at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Today at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Sun May 12, 2024 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Sun May 12, 2024 12:58 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Planning A Trip

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Planning A Trip Empty Planning A Trip Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:59 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I'm probably going to take a trip to the eastern Sierra for some trout fishing. First stop is Lundy Lake, near Lee Vining and Mammoth.

Anybody have experience fishing these small mountain lakes? I'll be avoiding the larger lakes because I'm not experienced enough with a float tube to try to solo-navigate big lakes.

I think I'll start the day at the upwind side of the lake (even if I have to paddle out there) and let the winds later on blow me back to the lee side. I'll have my Garmin working by then and I've read Lundy is an overlooked patch of water, compared to some others.

It's not really my intent to "lake hop," and will only do so if the fishing is poor where I end up. I'd just as soon float all day, catch a few fish and start supper.

Anyone have any experience with this part of the world? Let me know what I'm setting myself up for, please. Thanks!!

2Planning A Trip Empty Re: Planning A Trip Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:46 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Years ago I used to camp in Twin Lakes camp ground and Mammoth something campground that was near by. There are a bunch of little lakes within minutes of the camp grounds. Lake Mary, Twin Lakes, Lake Maimie. Lake George to name a few, there are more. The lakes are small and the trout fishing was good from shore as well as the tube.

I hope this helps

3Planning A Trip Empty Re: Planning A Trip Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:45 am

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Jerdon wrote:Years ago I used to camp in Twin Lakes camp ground and Mammoth something campground that was near by. There are a bunch of little lakes within minutes of the camp grounds.  Lake Mary, Twin Lakes, Lake Maimie. Lake George to name a few, there are more. The lakes are small and the trout fishing was good from shore as well as the tube.

I hope this helps
Thanks, man!!! The trouble I have is there are SO many and I want to have a peaceful trip without a lot of running around. The other thing is I'm doing my best to avoid large groups of people, so indeed, it is a peaceful trip. I'll leave Sunday night and arrive home probably the following Friday or Saturday. Date is TBD.

4Planning A Trip Empty Re: Planning A Trip Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:38 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have fished Lundy, just north of Lee Vining. Theirs a primitive County campground below the lake alongside the out flow, stream. You can park at the east end, dam and kick west to where the stream enters the lake. West end of lake has beach you can drive down to and launch. A cafe/store and a campground with pay showers. You can drive up the road to the end, hick in to the falls. Brookies along the stream to the falls. One lane dirt road. Lundy has produced some large trout. Have a great time............GT BTW I will probably go up in October for a week of camping, Browns Campground at Sawmill Creek, pay showers.

5Planning A Trip Empty Re: Planning A Trip Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:43 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

GT wrote:I have fished Lundy, just north of Lee Vining. Theirs a primitive County campground below the lake alongside the out flow, stream. You can park at the east end, dam and kick west to where the stream enters the lake. West end of lake has beach you can drive down to and launch. A cafe/store and a campground with pay showers. You can drive up the road to the end, hick in to the falls. Brookies along the stream to the falls. One lane dirt road. Lundy has produced some large trout. Have a great time............GT      BTW I will probably go up in October for a week of camping, Browns Campground at Sawmill Creek, pay showers.
WOW, THANK YOU for the info. October would be much too cold for me, sleeping in the bed of my pickup. I hope to be up by Aug 8 but we'll see. I need tires on the rear of the truck (drive tires) and my fixed income isn't so hot.

But I'll take your advice and run with it. Since I'll be alone, I can camp in a small space...well not too small, my big, fat ass needs enough space to keep me from getting claustrophobic. Don't do well in really small spaces. If it gets windy (Google Earth seems to ALWAYS show lakes when the hawk is howling) I'll shore fish but I'd rather be out on the water, using my fish finder (brand new) and hauling in hogs. I'll have enough chow with me to get through though a chicken-fried-steak breakfast is always possible. Very Happy

Wish you were going when I am, but I know the bite is better in October. I will have a report complete with stills,  video and I hope to have fish-fighting video (GoPro with a head holder) and lots to report. Thanks again, my friend. I'll give a report on the fish-finder batteries I have. I have a 10ah battery and a 5ah for backup.

6Planning A Trip Empty Re: Planning A Trip Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:13 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Take plenty of water, August is a hot month in the Eastern Sierras..........GT

7Planning A Trip Empty Re: Planning A Trip Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:45 pm

OldMan

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Oh yes. A gallon a day.

Sponsored content