FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by SP Dan Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Float tube Storage
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 5:26 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Yesterday at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Your choice of leader material?

+3
jeffcpr
Misfitdog
SP Dan
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Your choice of leader material? Empty Your choice of leader material? Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:32 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

So, as of lately I’ve been using 15-lb Seaguar Inviz-X fluoro-carbon leaders but I have also used mono and co-polymer leader materials in the past as well.

I personally favor the co-polymer over the mono leader material and I am in a tossup between the fluoro-carbon and the co-polymer leader material.
The plus side to the fluoro-carbon leader is that light does not transmit down thru the leader to the bait like it does with a mono leader.

I’ve been using the floral carbon (on and off) for the past 15-years and it has been very dependable and I have landed some very nice fish with it, the fluoro to braid (RP) splice knot and the fluoro to Improved Clinch (IC) knot to the hook have held well for me with no failures.

I am toying with the idea of going back and trying a 12-lb
co-polymer leader again to see if I get better or worse results.

So what leader material do you favor and at what leader weight (pound strength) do you use?
And why?

SP Dan     <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

2Your choice of leader material? Empty Re: Your choice of leader material? Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:20 pm

Misfitdog

Misfitdog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Maxima Ultragreen premium copolymer Green , Love that line . If you are throwing heavy swimbaits or light plastics braid to maxima is exceptional . No stretch at all

3Your choice of leader material? Empty Re: Your choice of leader material? Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:45 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I have only use Mono and Fluoro on my braid lines. I can say that Floro is much better than Mono. What I like is that you get some crazy sensitivity with fluoro and braid combo. Not to change the subject but what is the advantage of a co-polymer? As for what type do I use P-Line Fluoro.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Your choice of leader material? Empty Re: Your choice of leader material? Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:11 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

jeffcpr wrote:I have only use Mono and Fluoro on my braid lines.  I can say that Floro is much better than Mono.  What I like is that you get some crazy sensitivity with fluoro and braid combo.  Not to change the subject but what is the advantage of a co-polymer?  As for what type do I use P-Line Fluoro.

Hi ya Jeff,
My personal experience with Cop-polymer is that it's more abrasion resistant, more sensitive and stronger than mono with less coil memory than mono and fluoro-carbon.

But regardless, all three of these materials still have coil memory to some degree.

And that's why I only use these materials (mono, fluoro & co-polymer) as leaders and I prefer to spool-up with 8-carrier Diawa 30-lb Green Samurai braid.

5Your choice of leader material? Empty Re: Your choice of leader material? Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:56 pm

BobBfishin

BobBfishin
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

For saltwater I typically use 15lb fluoro leader  to braided line. Seagar Red label is solid line IMO. Main benefit for me using fluoro is sensitivity. I've used 12lb co-polymer (P Line) but have more confidence in the 15lb weight for it's additional strength (sharper teeth and breakoffs on pilings). I prefer the fg knot as a line connection but also use the collins or RP knot too. Palomar, Uni, or clinch knots to hook, but I'm starting to use the San Diego jam more often with 15lb leader.
Freshwater I mainly use 10 or 12lb fluoro leader, but go down to 6 and up to 15 application and condition dependant. I'll use 12lb co-polymer leader or strait braid (50-65lb) for topwater applications.
 I use strait mono or co-polymer line 25-30 lb for large swimbait applications. 
Main line on all my reels is braid (Power Pro spectra bait caster or super slick spinning) for sensitivity, strength and longevity.
 I tie a 10-20 feet leader on just about everything so I don't have to change it frequently.
I've heard the Maxima co-polymer is very strong and sensity due to lower stretch compared to other brands, so I'll have to try it out. 
I've been using the Seagar Invizx for almost 2 years and it's good, but Abrazx seems to be less sensitive to line burns with knots.
Bob

6Your choice of leader material? Empty Re: Your choice of leader material? Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:35 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

BobBfishin wrote:For saltwater I typically use 15lb fluoro leader  to braided line. Seagar Red label is solid line IMO. Main benefit for me using fluoro is sensitivity. I've used 12lb co-polymer (P Line) but have more confidence in the 15lb weight for it's additional strength (sharper teeth and breakoffs on pilings). I prefer the fg knot as a line connection but also use the collins or RP knot too. Palomar, Uni, or clinch knots to hook, but I'm starting to use the San Diego jam more often with 15lb leader.
Freshwater I mainly use 10 or 12lb fluoro leader, but go down to 6 and up to 15 application and condition dependant. I'll use 12lb co-polymer leader or strait braid (50-65lb) for topwater applications.
 I use strait mono or co-polymer line 25-30 lb for large swimbait applications. 
Main line on all my reels is braid (Power Pro spectra bait caster or super slick spinning) for sensitivity, strength and longevity.
 I tie a 10-20 feet leader on just about everything so I don't have to change it frequently.
I've heard the Maxima co-polymer is very strong and sensity due to lower stretch compared to other brands, so I'll have to try it out. 
I've been using the Seagar Invizx for almost 2 years and it's good, but Abrazx seems to be less sensitive to line burns with knots.
Bob

Hi ya Bob,
Lot’s of experience that I see here! Thumbs Up
Thank you for sharing.

SP Dan <“))><

7Your choice of leader material? Empty Re: Your choice of leader material? Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:39 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Misfitdog wrote:Maxima Ultragreen premium copolymer Green , Love that line . If you are throwing heavy swimbaits or light plastics braid to maxima is exceptional .  No stretch at all  

Hi ya Misfitdog,
I haven’t tried the Maxima Ultragreen premium copolymer Green as of yet.
Thanks ... I’ll definitely be giving it a try! Thumbs Up
I appreciate your input sir!

SP Dan     <“))><

8Your choice of leader material? Empty Re: Your choice of leader material? Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:32 am

TobyB

TobyB
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Lately I have been using fluorocarbon in 8 to 12 pound. I have been really fond of the Berkeley Vanish and the Seaguar Red Label. I seem to get a few more bites with these lines then the 12lb Daiwa Megaforce copolymer line. It seems the fluorocarbon seems to be a better option in the rocks as well.
When the fishing is wide open I don't see a difference. I believe it only makes a difference when the bite is tough or fishing clear water.

Sent from Topic'it App

9Your choice of leader material? Empty Re: Your choice of leader material? Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:26 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'll chime in on this topic.........I use Izorline XXX Co-polymer on all my bay reels, bait casters (favorite) and spinning. I'm down to 8# test now and feel good about my overall choice. True I do lose some HUB's in the junk, but NO knots, braid to whatever. Most braids have a film coating on them, knots tend to slip in my experience. Second I have to bring along spools of leader. I'm not a patient guy when it comes to fishing, I wanna to fish, not tie knots. But when it gets to my boat gear, braid is a must.
Seaguar Fluoro is my leader, blue label holds a better knot for me. Fluoro is stiffer than co-polymer, changing the effect of the HUB's in smaller weights as they fall. And does anyone notice a difference in the Fluoro during summer storege, leader on rod. My garage gets tripple digits in the summer............GT

10Your choice of leader material? Empty Re: Your choice of leader material? Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:58 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I mostly use Fluoro. However, if the water has a heavy green tint I will tie on Maxima or Berkley mono with a green tint.

11Your choice of leader material? Empty Re: Your choice of leader material? Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:09 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Izorline XXX Co-polymeris also my choice! Thumbs Up
I have [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to select from.
It all depends on the harbor that I fish.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum