FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Yesterday at 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray

+3
Jerdon
Bullgill66
SP Dan
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:10 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I’ve been working out in my garage for the last couple of days working out a few ideas I had on making my prototype for a hard lap-tray and I ended up with this for my Cumberland float tube.

Constructed out of Marine varnished 1/4” veneer plywood (3-coats) and some PVC moldings. 

It’s just been something in order for me to save my sanity, it’s been keeping me busy and out of trouble! 👍
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

What types of fishing related projects are you guys working on these days?

SP Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

woodyk likes this post

2Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:54 am

Bullgill66

Bullgill66
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

That looks awesome! I love the ruler design. I would have never thought to have made it out of wood. You are a genius.

3Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:30 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Very nice Dan. That marine grade plywood lasts a long time outdoors and looks good too.

What is the weight of the finished tray?

4Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:36 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is cool i am sure you are going to like it. How much does it weigh?

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

5Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:27 am

volcomsurfrider

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

That is one Serious Landing Apron Dan! Great work! We know you need this with all the Legal Halibut's you have been landing! You have to be ready to land that next 30lber! Great idea and thanks for sharing!

6Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:13 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

My reliable makeshift tapped-n’-riveted together hard lap-tray; seen in all my fish photos, weighs 3 lbs 3.6 oz.

I need to brush-on a final coat of varnish today and so I will weigh it tomorrow, for all you curious folk’s that are asking. lol It will be a pleasure! 👍

Heck! ... I’m curious too! lol Wink

This new tray was designed to be a little bit larger than it’s predecessor, which I’ve always wanted it to be.

I’m also using the heavier white PVC pipe and molding material instead of the lighter in weight black ABS.

I couldn’t find ABS molding anywhere. I don’t think they make it.

I was able to locate a few feet (not enough) of the old
pre-varnished pieces of Teak moldings off demolished ships at $35 for five feet ... ouch! ... which was my initial thought but that was just too expensive for even me!

Heck ... I’d rather buy another reel for that much money!

SP Dan 😎

7Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:27 pm

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Wow..thats really nice.

8Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:20 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Ok .... here it is!

The official weight is ..... 4 lbs 11oz.
I was hoping to stay under 6 pounds when I started this DIY project. A success!

Here it is just before it’s last coat of marine varnish.

The last and final coat of varnish was also applied over the top of the measurement tape as well.
Thumbs Up
I added a bump board and I really like the way the wood grain shows thru the 1” wide measuring tape!  Thumbs Up

Dan

9Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:26 pm

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

What does something like this retail for?

SP Dan likes this post

10Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:53 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Not really sure JohnnyB.

It looks like approx $120 and about 10 days of work. Each coat of varnish was allowed to cure for 24-hrs. Three coats of varnish on both sides, lightly sanded each time between coats using 220 grit sand paper.

This was a time taking task of luv which was a very relaxing DIY project for me to spend my time on; and besides all of that, I'm saving a small $$$ fortune Thumbs Up in money these days by not dating during these strange days of being isolated.

I'm having a tuff time in finding a lady that will go on a float tube fishing date with me!  Very Happy Ha ha ha!.

Here it goes:   Approx $120 in materials, + my time.
$15 for 1/4" plywood
$15 for PVC moldings
$20 for SS hardware and nylon bushings
$41 for a pint of UV resistant Marine varnish (the very best)
$15 for tarps, brushes, paint thinner
Added
$20 for transparent, self-adhesive, 1" wide w/ lg numbers measure tape

SP Dan

Last edited by SP Dan on Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:30 am; edited 4 times in total

11Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:02 am

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Cash or card...i'll pick it Wednesday

SP Dan likes this post

12Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:20 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

JohnnyB wrote:Cash or card...i'll pick it Wednesday

Very Happy  Ha ha ha! Are you joking or being real?!
I would sell this and simply build myself another. Ha ha!

If I were to sell my newly constructed hard lap-tray for any Cumberland FT, I'd have to ask at least $170.00 cash, as is new. Heck, the varnish isn't even all the way dried yet Johnny!  Very Happy Ha ha ha! $50 for my time.

This was really a time consuming project for me and I luv'd it.

I might be willing to construct custom plywood lap-trays on request for some local SoCal people only. Must pick up tray in San Pedro.

SP Dan

13Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:35 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

SP Dan wrote:
JohnnyB wrote:Cash or card...i'll pick it Wednesday

Very Happy  Ha ha ha! Are you joking or being real?!
I would sell this and simply build myself another. Ha ha!

If I were to sell my newly constructed hard lap-tray for any Cumberland FT, I'd have to ask at least $125.00 cash, as is new. Heck, the varnish isn't even all the way dried yet Johnny!

This was a time consuming project for me and I luv'd it!

SP Dan

Last edited by SP Dan on Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

14Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:19 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I would like to build a hard lap-tray for an Outcast and then for a MAXXUM someday soon. I’ve got a couple of pretty good ideas that are just stirring around in my head for now.

If anybody would be interested in some help/assistance or in having me build for you a hard tray for your float tube, please reach out to me. Cost to you will be materials only.

I also believe that I also build a pretty-good ABS swiveling rod-rack that superior. Cost to you will be materials only.

I’m just looking to stay busy and still stay involved in fishing!

I reside in San Pedro (SoCal). Will call only.

SP Dan

15Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:31 pm

Finding_Elias

Finding_Elias
FTFF Gathering Officer

Very nice SP Dan! Looks legit.

SP Dan likes this post

16Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:39 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I built it a bit larger per the suggestion of a good fishing friend and I don’t care for it being this size, I’d prefer it to be the same size as my smaller original plastic lap-tray like the one that’s falling apart. lol

SP Dan

17Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:16 pm

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Its a little rich for me, but im sure this will make someone a happy camper for Christmas.

SP Dan likes this post

18Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:07 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Honestly, I really don’t care if it sales or not ... I’m staying busy and having fun exploring ideas.
I could take this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] tray and easily mount it on any of those flat forms.

I’m almost finished with my prototype [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for approx $35 my cost.
I am really hoping that [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] will weigh less than the 3-lbs 3.6 oz that the plastic tray weighs.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] will be having fish on her very soon!

SP Dan

19Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:59 pm

JohnnyB

JohnnyB
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

How soon, by tomorrow morning?

SP Dan likes this post

20Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Empty Re: Dan’s DIY Hard Lap-Tray Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:35 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

JohnnyB wrote:How soon, by tomorrow morning?

I’ve got too many Dr. appts this week.
I honestly can’t make it out again until this coming weekend.

I might be fishing out of Cabrillo Beach this weekend and for a while to come. I’ll see.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum