FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by KogaHead Today at 12:59 pm

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by KogaHead Today at 12:58 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by Jerdon Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Electric Motors for Flatform and other tubes that have engine mounts

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

WadeKonowalchuk

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hey all.

I have a question to the regard of electric motors. I have a 7 Bass Flatform which boasts an engine mount, which is all well and good. I can get a motor fairly inexpensively. What I wonder is what those of you who have electric motors on your tubes use as a battery? Obviously, one can't simply take a car battery and connect the wires to it, and you're off... Are there special batteries to get for this? I have seen plastic cover cases for batteries, and I believe just a simple car battery fits in there, and that may be what people use?? I just don't know what to do with this.

The truth is, a friend of mine is a dealer of "Float Plus" systems, and I have tried it a couple times, and there is something awesome in being able to get from A to B quickly without killing your legs (or breaking out the oars on my Flatform).

Thanks in advance!

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I like the Float Plus Motor very much as for Batteries I am sorry I don't have much info on this but I know they do have a marine battery for just this kind of thing.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

SP Dan

SP Dan

I'm really against the whole concept of putting a motor on my Cumberland float tube. Evil or Very Mad IT’S A FLOAT TUBE!

Get a pontoon, a boat, a Flatform, a MAXUUM or a yak, I say.

For me .. . This will never happen!

SP Dan

Last edited by SP Dan on Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:23 am; edited 4 times in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

WadeKonowalchuk

FTFF Gathering Officer

I used to think that way as well... But now that I have a PVC "boat" (tube), and have tried the Float Plus, I am intrigued. Not for normal fishing... I will get in and out of spots, and hold my position with my feet... I am just thinking, "okay. I have travelled the entire shoreline here and have miles to go to get back. It sure would be nice to sit back, sip on a cold one, and let the motor get me home".

Or... "there's a great looking spot over there on the other side of the lake. Rather than spend a half-hour of my fishing time kicking over there, I would sure love to quickly go with the help of a motor". Especially in the fall, when here in Sweden, my days get shorter and shorter very quickly (you lose around 10 minutes of sunlight every day) to the point that I finish work, and I only have an hour or two to fish before it's dark, and the fish bite no more. So I would rather get to my special spots quickly, and make the most of my short time on the lake. Smile

But I get what you're saying. There is something magical and serene about belly boat fishing and using your flippers to get around. It just seems like the added effort makes things that much more sporting, and personal.

SP Dan

SP Dan

I don’t know if you know this or not, but today’s FT is no longer the belly-boat of yesterday, my seat and knees are all the way out of the water and only my lower legs and fins get wet.
I wear board shorts all year around here in SoCal.
Our inner-harbor SW water temperature’s have gotten down to 57° with air temps getting down to 47°.

I will aways try to drive as close-to; as I can, to an area that I want to launch and fish in.

If I only had one or two hours to fish, I would not waste it racing back-and-forth across the water but drive straight to the fishing spot for more time spent fishing.

Tight-lines

SP Dan

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

WadeKonowalchuk wrote:I used to think that way as well...  But now that I have a PVC "boat" (tube), and have tried the Float Plus, I am intrigued.  Not for normal fishing...  I will get in and out of spots, and hold my position with my feet...  I am just thinking, "okay.  I have travelled the entire shoreline here and have miles to go to get back.  It sure would be nice to sit back, sip on a cold one, and let the motor get me home".

Or...  "there's a great looking spot over there on the other side of the lake. Rather than spend a half-hour of my fishing time kicking over there, I would sure love to quickly go with the help of a motor". Especially in the fall, when here in Sweden, my days get shorter and shorter very quickly (you lose around 10 minutes of sunlight every day) to the point that I finish work, and I only have an hour or two to fish before it's dark, and the fish bite no more. So I would rather get to my special spots quickly, and make the most of my short time on the lake. Smile

But I get what you're saying.  There is something magical and serene about belly boat fishing and using your flippers to get around.  It just seems like the added effort makes things that much more sporting, and personal.

I am with you I can see the benefits of a motor as well, especially a motor on the small side of a Float Plus type motor. For me the idea of a motor would be more for getting me out of sticky situations rather then fighting rough conditions that are going to wear me out.

I know that I would prefer to use my fins more than a motor as I have oars and rarely use them but its nice to know they are available if I need them. So the idea is to each there own and everyone have different conditions to deal with so a motor for some might be a good investment.

SP Dan

SP Dan

You may want to consider carrying a 2nd backup battery,
batteries have this uncanny ability to instantly die.

I’ve read where people have taken a second battery on board with them while fishing.
Best of luck on your DIY electric motor project! 👍

I look forward to your written review of your motor and how it operated for you. Thumbs Up

SP Dan

WadeKonowalchuk

FTFF Gathering Officer

SP Dan wrote:You may want to consider carrying a 2nd backup battery,

I’ve read where people have taken a second battery on board with them while fishing.

I look forward to your written review of your motor and how it operated for you. Thumbs Up

SP Dan

To be fair, I won't be doing much DIY work here Wink. This Flatform already has an engine mount specifically for an electric motor. The battery, I would just strap to the PVC (so that it doesn't fall in the drink" Smile )

Batteries just suddenly die??? Yikes! Luckily, I would have the oars and flippers to cover my ass in that event.

Someone else mentioned, "I just drive close to where I want to fish". Normally I would too, but I have access to the lake right in front of my place (200 yards away or so), so I just wheel the Flatform down there, and then traverse the lake if need be (luckily my most productive spots are fairly close).

WadeKonowalchuk

FTFF Gathering Officer

Always wondered where the term "Belly Boat" came from. Yeah, my Gunki - My bum was JUST above the water line. Made kicking much more efficient. The Flatform - Well, it's like the High Rider or Mad Cat - just the shins and below are in the water.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

WadeKonowalchuk wrote:
SP Dan wrote:You may want to consider carrying a 2nd backup battery,

SP Dan

To be fair, I won't be doing much DIY work here Wink.  This Flatform already has an engine mount specifically for an electric motor.  The battery, I would just strap to the PVC (so that it doesn't fall in the drink" Smile )

Batteries just suddenly die???  Yikes!  Luckily, I would have the oars and flippers to cover my ass in that event.

Someone else mentioned, "I just drive close to where I want to fish".  Normally I would too, but I have access to the lake right in front of my place (200 yards away or so), so I just wheel the Flatform down there, and then traverse the lake if need be (luckily my most productive spots are fairly close).

Man I wish I had a like to tube that close to me. Ya the flatform and boats like that are designed for the motor to be attached. I am sure once you are all set up you will have a blast. Be sure to share pictures as you set it up thanks.

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

WadeKonowalchuk wrote:Always wondered where the term "Belly Boat" came from.  Yeah, my Gunki - My bum was JUST above the water line.  Made kicking much more efficient.  The Flatform - Well, it's like the High Rider or Mad Cat - just the shins and below are in the water.

Yep these hybrid boats have changed tubing in many different ways. I believe they all have there place in float tube fishing as we all have different waters situations and needs. The Mad Cat looks like a very good tube as well.

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

I am interested in seeing how the motor works out for you, so please keep us posted. If you look at my avatar that is my first "Belly Boat" and my waist was in the water. It was slow moving compared to a Cumberland or other "Float Tube."

WadeKonowalchuk

FTFF Gathering Officer

My first belly boat here in Stockholm.

WadeKonowalchuk

FTFF Gathering Officer

And the upgrade... My son is getting pissed because he has not caught anything yet, and he's been "out" all day. Smile

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

WadeKonowalchuk wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

And the upgrade...  My son is getting pissed because he has not caught anything yet, and he's been "out" all day. Smile

Looks great Thumbs Up

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum