FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:54 am

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:51 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Thu May 16, 2024 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Thu May 16, 2024 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Colorado XT trolling motor mod

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Colorado XT trolling motor mod Empty Colorado XT trolling motor mod Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:03 am

bobschultz

FTFF Gathering Officer

Have an XT and have been using it for 3 months each summer in the E Sierras. It has a 30 lb min kota trolling motor which I love using. The problem is the battery. It is very heavy and am getting to use it less and less. I purchased a 35 amp hr battery that is way lighter and is easy to tote around. I also am building a pulse wave modulator (PWM ) to longer use, and variable speed control. Does anyone use one of these and is there a heating problem with the heat sinks. I need to know if I need to add a cooling fan. With the lighter battery I plan on using the trolling motor on every outing. Thanks.

2Colorado XT trolling motor mod Empty Re: Colorado XT trolling motor mod Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:20 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

bobschultz wrote:Have an XT and have been using it for 3 months each summer in the E Sierras. It has a 30 lb min kota trolling motor which I love using. The problem is the battery. It is very heavy and am getting to use it less and less. I purchased a 35 amp hr battery that is way lighter and is easy to tote around. I also am building a pulse wave modulator (PWM ) to longer use, and variable speed control. Does anyone use one of these and is there a heating problem with the heat sinks. I need to know if I need to add a cooling fan. With the lighter battery I plan on using the trolling motor on every outing. Thanks.

I wish I had knowledge of this for you sorry I don't. I am sure someone will chime in or maybe we can get [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to comment he recently built his own battery.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Colorado XT trolling motor mod Empty Re: Colorado XT trolling motor mod Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:20 pm

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

bobschultz wrote:Have an XT and have been using it for 3 months each summer in the E Sierras. It has a 30 lb min kota trolling motor which I love using. The problem is the battery. It is very heavy and am getting to use it less and less. I purchased a 35 amp hr battery that is way lighter and is easy to tote around. I also am building a pulse wave modulator (PWM ) to longer use, and variable speed control. Does anyone use one of these and is there a heating problem with the heat sinks. I need to know if I need to add a cooling fan. With the lighter battery I plan on using the trolling motor on every outing. Thanks.

My guess is that the PWM manufacturer will give you the specifications as to its capability, and if they do not specify a heat sink, my guess is that it should not need one?  I don't know but the point of PWM is that energy is NOT dissipated as heat.  

On a different note, I just don't get why manufacturers still not use PWM as a standard part of the design.  The runtime at low levels with PWM is night and day difference from using a resistor.

Have you measured your max speed with the 30 lbs thrust motor?

Last edited by FloatTubeIQ on Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

4Colorado XT trolling motor mod Empty Re: Colorado XT trolling motor mod Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:32 am

bobschultz

FTFF Gathering Officer

Yes, with my garmin striker. Never use top speed but with 4 th gps says 2.3 mph. I understand that the TM uses approx 30 amps at all speeds .

5Colorado XT trolling motor mod Empty pwm Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:05 pm

jmytuna

jmytuna
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught
Spottied Bay Bass
White Sea Bass
Legal White Sea Bass
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch
Carp
Large Carp Caught
Blugill
Large Bluegill Catch
Crappie
Large Crappie Catch
Sculpin
Large Sculpin Catch
Smallmouth Bass
Trophy Small Mouth
Calico Bass
Calico Bass Catch

Had PWM housed in a  waterproof case and wired it to hand held box up by the colorado seat.  No problems overheating.  I did trip the 50am circuit breaker when running back in high winds so make sure you can take the PWN out of the loop and hook trolling motor directly to battery if there are issues on the water.  I used powerpole connectors.

jeffcpr and Johnpeace9@gmail.com like this post

6Colorado XT trolling motor mod Empty Re: Colorado XT trolling motor mod Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:47 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

jmytuna wrote:Had PWM housed in a  waterproof case and wired it to hand held box up by the colorado seat.  No problems overheating.  I did trip the 50am circuit breaker when running back in high winds so make sure you can take the PWN out of the loop and hook trolling motor directly to battery if there are issues on the water.  I used powerpole connectors.

Now that was great info thanks so much for sharing. I am sure this will help many guys out with there builds.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

7Colorado XT trolling motor mod Empty Re: Colorado XT trolling motor mod Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:52 pm

Johnpeace9@gmail.com

FTFF Gathering Officer

So the PWM will help you get more time out of your battery?

8Colorado XT trolling motor mod Empty PWM Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:40 pm

jmytuna

jmytuna
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught
Spottied Bay Bass
White Sea Bass
Legal White Sea Bass
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch
Carp
Large Carp Caught
Blugill
Large Bluegill Catch
Crappie
Large Crappie Catch
Sculpin
Large Sculpin Catch
Smallmouth Bass
Trophy Small Mouth
Calico Bass
Calico Bass Catch

My old Minn Kota Endura used the same amount of battery power at lower speeds vs speed 5. Going slower just generated more heat through resistors/speed coils so my 50# optima didn't even make it through the day no matter how much I babied it. PWM can dial in speed, infinite adjustments without surges, way more efficient.
Eventually moved to brushless Haswing and Lithium battery when I sold the Colorado

Johnpeace9@gmail.com likes this post

9Colorado XT trolling motor mod Empty Re: Colorado XT trolling motor mod Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:32 pm

Johnpeace9@gmail.com

FTFF Gathering Officer

Thank you.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum