FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» I'm New Here
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:23 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:22 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 9:54 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

» Spanish landing 4/27
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:48 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float Tube & Trolling Motors....

+5
ronniek524
Richardr10
BassSeeker
john_henry_newman
FloatTubeIQ
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Wed May 12, 2021 9:57 am

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Curious.

Anyone here run a motor with your float tube? If you do, what are the advantages you found that makes it really worth it?

And anyone who did it in the past but no longer do - and what are the reasons?

Given that tubes move rather slowly and sometimes I want to get to another point a fair distance away, having a motor seems to make sense.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

2Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Thu May 13, 2021 1:38 pm

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I put a 30lb motor on my Cumberland and love it. It takes just a few more minutes to launch but I make up that time in speed on the water! I will try to post some pics in the "Another Motorized Cumberland" thread.

Eric3501 likes this post

3Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Thu May 13, 2021 3:01 pm

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks John. I see it. That is sure a lot of labor and creative thinking! Respect.

DO you find that having a motor allows you to be more productive in actual fishing? And if so, how? Also, have you used your phone GPS to track how fast you go at max speed with the 30 lbs trolling motor? I'd guess about 2.4-2.6 miles/hour.....

4Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Thu May 13, 2021 4:11 pm

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks! I do find that I save time when traveling over unproductive water to the next fishing spot. My fishfinder shows speed and I think it was around 3mph (maybe not quite) max. Also, I am able to make headway against the wind, which used to limit how I fished in the past. If I had to do it over again, I would look more closely at a 40lb motor.

5Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Thu May 13, 2021 9:27 pm

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

That is very helpful to hear. Your experience is exactly what I am projecting though I do not have a motor yet mounted to my tubes.  

I actually wonder what is the normal speed of someone just using fins.  Perhaps 1.5 mph? it does feel slow. I'll have to GPS it one of these days.

6Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Fri May 14, 2021 7:05 am

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

My top speed with fins is exactly 1.5 mph, but I can't maintain that for very long. I am quite impressed with your speed estimates! Engineer?

7Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Fri May 14, 2021 9:18 am

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

John. By training, yes. Though my guesses are based on intuition, knowledge having looking at kayak speeds for which I interpolated for float tubes and physical observation of how I move relative to land. I am trying to rethink the float tube paradigm and how it can be improved substantitively.

8Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Fri May 14, 2021 9:27 am

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I could smell another engineer; didn't even have to see your pocket protector!

swwilkinson likes this post

9Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Fri May 14, 2021 2:18 pm

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

10Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Tue May 18, 2021 9:48 pm

BassSeeker

FTFF Gathering Officer

I have a drill paddle and with my fish finder I have seen a hair over 3mph at full throttle. But I don’t use it at full throttle that much to save on battery.
Ok, engineers. With that reply what profession am I in? Haha

11Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Wed May 26, 2021 8:59 am

Richardr10

FTFF Gathering Officer

Just curious I think I heard in that past that if you put a motor on a device that floats it would then have to be registered?

12Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Wed May 26, 2021 9:33 am

john_henry_newman

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Richardr10 wrote:Just curious I think I heard in that past that if you put a motor on a device that floats it would then have to be registered?

Short answer: depends on your state.

13Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Sat May 29, 2021 12:55 am

ronniek524

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have an Outcast Stealth Pro with a 45lb Trust (Motoguide trolling motor).
I run 3.2~3.5mph at full speed.
Total weight on my tube: +/- 300lbs

Benefits while fishing:
1. I get to face against the wind and troll at slow speeds forward during a windy day.
2. I get to eat while my motor trolls me to a farther spot Smile.
3. I can deal with 15~20mph gusts Smile.
(My trolling motor is in front of me. Gets in the way a bit, but I can manage around it.)
4. I don't really need the oars. Fins do help sometimes; oars for emergencies Smile.

1. Don't ask don't tell.
-By law in California. you are required to register even if you use a Drill Paddle Smile. Trolling motor... definitely! I have heard that many never had problems with it for years on their home lake. Although there could be a risk of being fined or demand to remove motor from your tube or yak (happen to me).
- I did registered my tube a month after (4 visits! 3 hours later on last day at DMV!---Great time).

My recommendation?

I'll say mount the motor; try it a few times; then if you really have to, register it (150.00/ year).

It's 1am. I hope this info helps Smile.

14Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Sat May 29, 2021 8:40 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Those are some good reasons for having a trolling motor on your tube. I think transport and over all weight can turn people away, but there are the Pros as well. Thanks for sharing.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

15Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Sun May 30, 2021 10:16 am

swwilkinson

FTFF Gathering Officer

I would love to a photo of the tube with trolling motor in front. Backwards mount seems like you'll be driving blind

16Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Sun May 30, 2021 5:49 pm

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Ronniek524....whoa - $150 a year for a motorized float tube? Every year in Cal?

Thanks for the info.

17Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:27 am

ronniek524

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

FloatTubeIQ wrote:Ronniek524....whoa - $150 a year for a motorized float tube? Every year in Cal?

Thanks for the info.

That's what I thought too Sad.

18Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Mon May 02, 2022 8:45 pm

quenguh

FTFF Gathering Officer

Does anyone have pictures of a mount for a trolling motor on their Cumberland float

19Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Tue May 03, 2022 9:24 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

quenguh wrote:Does anyone have pictures of a mount for a trolling motor on their Cumberland float

Hey its not a Cumberland but it might work and it looks clean.

20Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Trolling motor Tue May 03, 2022 12:34 pm

jmytuna

jmytuna
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught
Spottied Bay Bass
White Sea Bass
Legal White Sea Bass
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch
Carp
Large Carp Caught
Blugill
Large Bluegill Catch
Crappie
Large Crappie Catch
Sculpin
Large Sculpin Catch
Smallmouth Bass
Trophy Small Mouth
Calico Bass
Calico Bass Catch

Did the drill paddle deal on my ODC 420, got the job done but steering in the wind was like trying to steer a balloon and overheated one of the 5 drill batteries Had to take.

Much better in small pontoon.
Check out running these pontoons backwards with a big motor.

jeffcpr likes this post

21Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Tue May 03, 2022 2:13 pm

quenguh

FTFF Gathering Officer

I seen that drill paddle idea, but wanted to mount it and I seen the YouTube video of the mounted one but the only issue I'm thinking of is placement of the battery because the back of the Cumberland float tube is a mesh net and gets wet and sometimes submerged in water

22Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Empty Re: Float Tube & Trolling Motors.... Tue May 03, 2022 2:17 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

There was a guys that added some think foam like material in the back of the Cumberland. It was to reinforce the back area and provide attachment options. It also kept it dryer, it was not foam but something similar might be an idea.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum