FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by jeffcpr Today at 11:05 am

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Electric Floattube Inflator

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Electric Floattube Inflator Empty Electric Floattube Inflator Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:37 pm

Socal Perky

Socal Perky
FTFF Gathering Officer

Hello, I have an older Outcast Fat Cat I’m looking at using soon, but for carrying it needs to be deflated. Then inflated before launching. I have a small handheld battery powered  tube inflator I use with my old ODC 816 tube I use in the bays, but the ODC has Boston Valves and the Fat Cat has another type, Summit-2 I think they are. The small handheld doesn’t seem to have enough pressure to unseat the Summit valve to inflate the tube. I know there are electric inflators you can use for float tubes, kayaks, paddle boards etc that you plug into a cigarette lighter. I see some are better than others, and there is my question. Does anyone use an inflator that plugs into a cigarette lighter that your happy with and would recommend to a fellow tuber? One that they use with a fat cat or watercraft that uses the same type of fill valves? Thanks…

2Electric Floattube Inflator Empty Re: Electric Floattube Inflator Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:00 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I will be following this thread I don't have one currently but I did have one along time ago. It was cheap and did not last long. I am sure someone will give you an answer.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Electric Floattube Inflator Empty Re: Electric Floattube Inflator Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:09 am

jmytuna

jmytuna
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught
Spottied Bay Bass
White Sea Bass
Legal White Sea Bass
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch
Carp
Large Carp Caught
Blugill
Large Bluegill Catch
Crappie
Large Crappie Catch
Sculpin
Large Sculpin Catch
Smallmouth Bass
Trophy Small Mouth
Calico Bass
Calico Bass Catch

Use any blower, hold valve open to inflate 99%
Finish off with double action hand pump
Done in 30 seconds

jeffcpr and Litefoot like this post

4Electric Floattube Inflator Empty Re: Electric Floattube Inflator Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:17 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

jmytuna wrote:Use any blower, hold valve open to inflate 99%
Finish off with double action hand pump
Done in 30 seconds

That is cool thanks for sharing I will have to check this out.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

5Electric Floattube Inflator Empty Re: Electric Floattube Inflator Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:24 am

NulodPBall

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Similar to what jmytuna wrote, I pretty much use any blower like “FLEXTAILGEAR MAX Pump 2 – Portable Air Pump” ($30 on Amazon) to fill up everything from my low pressure inflatable kayaks to my old Fishcat 4 deluxe - to about 80%, and then I use my $8 Walmart, high volume (fat tube body, double action, all plastic floor pump) to finish off.

I used to have an Advanced Elements inflatable kayak also, so I’ve tried everything from $200 12v pumps to my $8 Walmart pump and honestly, the $8 Walmart pump is way better, way quicker, and way more convenient, and less expensive than pretty much everything out there and I’m spoiled with air pumps because I used to off-road with a 12v high volume pump with a pressure cutoff switch.

One thing in general that I’ve noticed is that pretty much all the 12v pumps that plug into a cigarette lighter, I’ll eventually blow a fuse and/or overheat the plug… sometimes I’ll blow the fuse multiple times in the day, so now I only buy 12v pumps that have only a battery clamp, and an inline fuse on the power cord and I keep a spare supply of fuses.

Caveat: air pumps have come a >>LONG<< way since I started my search for the perfect High Volume Low Pressure (HVLP) pump for both hiking (air mattress) and water sports (float tube, kayak high and low pressure) and a regular pump (High Pressure Low Volume)(HPLV) for high volume tires.

Part of what’s driving the better HVLP pumps appears to be the Stand Up Paddle Board (SUP) craze with their high quality dropstitch construction (and higher pressure than float tubes and less expensive inflatable kayaks)… so judging by what I see going on at popular launch beaches, the HVLP 12v or battery powered (rechargeable) SUP pumps look great for float tubes and I think the decent ones run around $80.

The handheld Flextail came with a bunch of connectors and works great, except for the stupid power button (it’s a touch sensitive switch) and once I figured out the power button, I was happy with it. I don’t have to worry about overinflation, I can just turn it on and ignore it until I hear a change in the motor and switch it to the next bladder. It also works great for sleeping mats.

For the Wallyworld pump (you can also get it for maybe $15 at Big 5), it’s the model that you stand up while using, and you use your foot to keep it steady while pumping with your arms. It usually comes with a few connectors, but YMMV. Since I had the FC Deluxe model, I had the inflatable seat cushions so I always got in the habit of carrying a short, 2” section of clear vinyl hose that I got from the water fitting, garden watering/plumbing section of the hardware store but Home Depot starting selling that hose in only pre-cut 10 foot sections so I haven’t bought hose in a long while but it might be 5/16” diameter?

The bare hose end of the Walmart pump just fits into my Fishcat with no connector.

I assume Westmarine still sells hose by the foot.

I’ve seen a pretty decent Ryobi (yes, I know – Ryobi) pump, but I think unless they’ve improved it, the low end version pumped quicker than the higher cost one, and you probably only want to go there if you’re already in the Ryobi world.

Sorry this turned out to be such a long post, but to summarize:
-12v cigarette lighter pumps suck.
-The cheap, muscle powered $8 pump works the best for me.
-Any electric (12v or rechargeable battery) HVLP pump works ok, as long as, if it’s 12v, it uses only battery clamps. For me, that bumps the cost up over $100.

Of course, if you don't make sure that it's a HVLP pump (if you can actually get the specs, I assume that means it pumps over 6 cfm) YMMV.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum