FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Float tube Storage
by dreamingthoughawake Today at 4:24 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by dreamingthoughawake Today at 3:45 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by SP Dan Today at 2:32 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Today at 2:26 pm

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fishcat 4 questions

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fishcat 4 questions Empty Fishcat 4 questions Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:19 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Have a few questions about my new tube after yesterdays outing.

Stripping basket? Does anybody even use it? I dont fly fish so only use that part for measuring fish and sometimes ill place a fish on the apron while i tuck my rod away. This thing seems too flimsy for anything other than what it was designed for...holding line.

Next....seat cushions.The directions say to put them in length wise....its hard as hell to get them in that way do i do it the "long way". Is the diagram right or do i have to really force them in?

I still need to make a rod holder and with this new tube my design might have to change a bit. I saw a video and a guy had a rod holder mounted on the back of his seat...it was one of those holders that hold 3 rods. Any ideas on mountingthis? Im really trying to avoid the rods being on my left or right....feel like they will get in the way when casting and stuff.

Last question...im looking to put some type of light or reflective tape on my tube for safety at night. Glowsticks are bright but i dont wanna buy new glowsticksevery single night....thinking reflective tape will be good but i need something that isnt gonna fade or fall off.

Thanks for any info....looking forward to a session later on today.

Brian

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

2Fishcat 4 questions Empty Re: Fishcat 4 questions Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:34 am

i dont have a fish cat so I cant help you with the seat but for your night time fishing, dont waste your money on glow stick, pick up a water proof light. I think bass pro shop sells some and mount it your new rod rack.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

this is what my light looks like at night. its actully used for fishing. I just hot glued the bottom end onto pvc pipe and zip tied it to my rod rack when i go at night.

3Fishcat 4 questions Empty Re: Fishcat 4 questions Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:57 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have a fish cat and yes I do use it for measuring fish, tying lures ect. Did you trim those plastic legs on them yet? It helps. I had the same issue with the seat cushions, I had to force them in too.

4Fishcat 4 questions Empty Re: Fishcat 4 questions Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:55 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Fish Cat can be a pain to deal with when it's new, and sometimes after a good use. It's all about get adjusted to it, lile every other tube, and inflatable pontoons. However, pay extreme close attention to the seems and tube wall. Slight pinches or dents can be indicators of possible bladder damage. This is the sink-swim scenario to be aware of.

Now, reflector tapes. Use a simple 3M adhesive tapes you can get online or REI for cycling. I have a few roles that costs about $7 a roll. They stick to what ever surface you want, and stay on very well even in water. I use velcro at the ends, and one in the middle to enable it to stay better.

As for the rod holders, the back side is great to have, only if you know the proper balance between the front and back sides ahead of time. Improper balance durinf design will make your back side tips and rods will be in the water. With that in mind, a 1" PVC should be used as your rod holding back bone. People use 3/4" and lost their poles during good fights or windy days. Use 2" pipe cutouts to support your longest handle rod. Always mke sure the adhesive you are using for the pipe is as strong as you can get, such as super glue. Heavy poles bouncing in the wind will weaken the joints along the PVC back bone. Asl Kelster for his cross back design on his Fish Cat. He doesnt have rods in the back, but the same cross back frame support is the same. Use 1" poly vinyl quick snap straps to hold your frame down. Never velcro. Sorry guys, but velcro must be sewn to the body to give extra support. Bad approaches on strap systems will only results on gear losses.

5Fishcat 4 questions Empty Re: Fishcat 4 questions Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:04 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Sweet thanks for the tips guys. Never even thought to cut down the stripping apron even though i read that on either the directionsor the description lol. Ill sit on the tube later determine a good height for it and then cut away.

By the eay...the apron floats! Found that out last night when i got outta my tube and saw something floating away. I tucked it away because it was annoying and must have slipped away when i was pulling out.

If i have time im gonna hit up a hardwaresstore today and buy some supplies....

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

6Fishcat 4 questions Empty Re: Fishcat 4 questions Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:24 pm

NulodPBall

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

MASSfisher wrote:Have a few questions about my new tube after yesterdays outing.

Stripping basket? Does anybody even use it? I dont fly fish so only use that part for measuring fish and sometimes ill place a fish on the apron while i tuck my rod away. This thing seems too flimsy for anything other than what it was designed for...holding line.

It's a good temporary shelf for junk...hooks, line, jigs, etc.

I still need to make a rod holder and with this new tube my design might have to change a bit...Im really trying to avoid the rods being on my left or right....feel like they will get in the way when casting and stuff.
Rods behind your seat will bug you...they bug me, plus they interfere with my casting. I'm right handed so I place my rod holder, and other junk on the left side of my tube. Also if you have rods attached to your seat back you can't really lean back in your seat.

Also, I have a hard time grabbing or returning things into tubes behind me.

I'd actually recommend buying a commercial tube holder, the kind that strap onto the top of your tube. There is the kind that lays flat (I like those) or the kind that stick up a few inches on a post. The kind with the post is better if you like to troll with more than one rod...I like to have my trolling rod in my hand so I can set the hook when I get a tap...so my rod holder goes behind my left elbow and my stored rod point in the direction my tube is going, almost parallel to the water.

There are some versions that extend a platform off to the side and you can mount several rods on the platform. Those are only good if you can guarantee that the water is always flat and the wind is never around...I can't make that guarantee so I don't use it.

You really won't save much money by building your own rod holder unless you have very specific requirements in mind...like an integrated fish finder mount...if you do decide to build your own, keep it simple. You have D-rings, use them. Zip ties are a good thing. So are bungee cords...you can get the bare cord + terminating hardware (get plastic) at any decent marine supply store (like West Marine) or a good outdoor supply place (like for hiking and camping, not Big 5). If you use 2" pipe, you can mount your fishin' buddy fish finder (T it off). Don't go too skinny on the other pipe, part of the stength is in the diameter of the pipe so you don't have to brace it up much.

Last question...im looking to put some type of light or reflective tape on my tube for safety at night. Glowsticks are bright but i dont wanna buy new glowsticksevery single night....thinking reflective tape will be good but i need something that isnt gonna fade or fall off....
Brian

I actually wouldn't waste my time with the reflective tape...but there is one lake that requires that you have a certain sized orange patch on the back of your seat. You can just get a hunting safety vest and drap it on the back of your seat.

By the time you'll need the reflectors you should already be off the water or you should be prepared and have running lights (white, red, green).

Even with a light, I find that boaters and other people on the water still tend to ignore me, so I stay out of heavily trafficked areas.

Most people think that a simple hat or head light is enough...if I'm planning on being in my tube at night, I strap a red/green kayak light up front, and my hat light is my white, rear light. Even with that, I still get skimmed by other people on the water and they sound surprised when I warn them off.

One thing you might want to think of is a wet bag for your fish instead of a stringer...like a Bucks Bag wet bag. I hate dangling stringers (look like chum lines and just irritate me). I just clip mine to my D-rings on my right side and the velcro in the top keeps the fish from jumping out.

With reflective tape or velcro tape, remember that you need to sew them in place once you've stuck them in place with the velcro...you are putting "tape" on cloth material that will be wet. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Good luck and have fun with your tube.

Last edited by NulodPBall on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total

7Fishcat 4 questions Empty Re: Fishcat 4 questions Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:09 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

this is my night light set up

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum: