FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

CV marina/testing out the new fishcat

+2
ed5000x
MASSfisher
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Empty CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:48 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well as some of you know i bought a new fishcat 4 the other day. Ive been dying to use it and finally took it out today. Conditions were not perfect but not bad either..but ill fish at dead low tide when its raining and the wind is blowing 50mph and theres a red tide....so just being out there is good enough for me. But tonight i was on a mission to fish...but also to determine if i made a good decision by buying a new tube when the one i already have is perfectly fine.

First thing i notice about the new tube...it sits a lot higher above the water. This is really cool and it allows you to cast so much further than you would on other tubes. Also pitching and flipping is actually possible with these foam seats...really cool. The only disadvantage of the foam seats.....i feel like kicking is harder because my fins come out of the water everytime i kick making a lot of noise and its a waste of energy. This may be associated with the new fins i bought which are longer and heavier than the ones i have been using though. The bighorn definitly has more storage pockets but overall they hold close to the same amount...actually id have to say the bighorn holds more. The seat on the fishcat is really comfortable though...itis much better on my already screwed up back. I can easily lean back to rest and after a 2 hour session my back wasnt botheringme at all. Normally its hurting me after 30 minutes.

I think i made a good decision with this new tube although i miss the storage pockets on the bighorn...but at least with this one i have a little area behind me to store things like a cooler. Another thing i didn't like was the stripping apron on the fishcat. I didnt even use it just because it seems bulky and too flimsy. Its cool that you can use the tube without the apron though...other tubes you need to apron because the spreader bar keeps the tube in the right shape.

Did i get sidetrackeed or what? Back to the report:

Im dropping piling after piling and fishing dock after dock for nothing. I get a bite or two while dragging my bait from one spot to another but cant connect. 2 weeks ago i came to the conclusion that the spotties had moved to a shallowerpart of the marina because the water was colling down. Figured theyd head to shallower/warmer water but this was proved wrong on veterans day when i caught all my fish in the deeper areas and caught nothing in the shallowerareas like i had the previous week. After tonight and my last few outings these fish have me baffled...i dont know where they are of what thehre up to. Finally get out of the water because im wearing my waiders and had to use the potty. One cool thing about the fishcat and its foam seats is that i may be able to "relieve" myself from my tube in the future. (As long as im well hidden obviously). Other tubes sag too far down and if you have waiders your gonna have trouble.

Anyways after 2 hours i get out RUN to the bathroomaand do my thing. Heav over to the breakwalland manage 2 small spotties to get rid of the skunk. Fish were caught on blackwidow t&c swimgrubs.

I toom pics but im not near my computeraand theae fish were micro spotties so maybe next time.

Brian

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

nice i dont own a cat but i do have the cumberland and being out of the water is nice too and on your kick you will learn to kick by dont come out of the water you will have to shorten your kick in the horn your legs get straighter from being so low and be up out of the water you will see that your kick will come from smaller kicks facing downward a little and more but easy up on the power of the stroke you will last longer in the water

NulodPBall

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks for the report.

I have a FishCat, and I noticed that paddling is actually easier once I got used to shortening my upstroke and lengthening my down stroke. With longer fins you have to paddle slower.

4CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Empty Re: CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:07 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for the report massfisher.

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wow! I was soooo tired when i wrote this last night....i barely remember writing it.

Ill work on the propulsion techniques today while my gf is at work...hopefully i have a good report to post later.

6CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Empty Re: CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:04 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Welcome to the world of tubing. LOL. You think the Fish Cat is a tiredsome kicking boat? Try to sit on a Scadden Sunrise, fully loaded at 150lbs, with my weight at 350lbs total, and kick with rowing for 11hrs on choppy water. Ask Konacrush for that view of absurdity LOL. I dont get tired anymore. Just a bit of soreness at the joints because of the cold weather.

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

TheAsianGuy wrote:Welcome to the world of tubing. LOL. You think the Fish Cat is a tiredsome kicking boat? Try to sit on a Scadden Sunrise, fully loaded at 150lbs, with my weight at 350lbs total, and kick with rowing for 11hrs on choppy water. Ask Konacrush for that view of absurdity LOL. I dont get tired anymore. Just a bit of soreness at the joints because of the cold weather.

Lol ive been tubin for a little while now and was rockin the bighorn...actually i had a caddis before that but sold it to a buddy. It was way easier to kick on those last two tibes compared to this one. Do you wanna be lazy with me and rig up a trolling motor to our tubes...cause im down haha.

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Trust me when i say, dont. That tube want meant to hold that kind of weight capacity, even though it's a 15lbs thrust. It will be extremely cumbersome to have it on.

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dont think id ever really do it. Some guy was staring at me yesterdayaand asked me how i moved. He thought i had an enginr on it lol...hadda show him my fins.

10CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Empty Re: CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:00 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Should have told him you use your mind power to move it..hahahahahah

11CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Empty Re: CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:49 pm

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Haha i wish i had one of those small portable hand held fans...like the one Jim Carey used in Ace Ventura to move that boat...

Im gonna carry one of them around for next time somebody asks me how i move around lol

12CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Empty Re: CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:55 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i used my sea doo scooter and it works great but i dont need it no more for tubing but i sure would have today lol

13CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Empty Re: CV marina/testing out the new fishcat Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:40 am

Dano67

Dano67

I have a FishCat with long dive fins. I take long up strokes with your fins about 12" under the water. Main thing to watch on the Cat is your pressure on a sunny day. I check my tubes every 1/2 hour or so. If you cant push your finger down 3/4", your tubes are over inflated. This has been my rule of thumb for a bunch of years with the fishcat's and I have yet to have a problem.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum