FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 5:05 am

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

» Float tube Storage
by easeup Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:53 pm

» Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
by Jerdon Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

BAN ON LEAD

+3
Nick Danger
bodfish
tubefish
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1BAN ON LEAD Empty BAN ON LEAD Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:22 pm

tubefish

tubefish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

In fishing tackle. Thats correct, as if they havent taken enough away from us already they are trying to keep the flame lit by banning lead now. This means more expensive alternatives for fishing weights and jigheads. I know for a fact if this passes there will be no shad heads, no barrel heads, and no poison tail heads. Please take 2 minutes and visit [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] link and provide proper info and submit it. Your help is greatly appreciated!

i got this information from the T&C website. i wanted to share this with the rest of the forum.

http://www.austinlures.webs.com

2BAN ON LEAD Empty Re: BAN ON LEAD Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:28 pm

tubefish

tubefish
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

all products with lead in them will be banned. so that includes crankbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits everything that contains lead will be illegal to use. your input does count.

http://www.austinlures.webs.com

3BAN ON LEAD Empty Re: BAN ON LEAD Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:00 pm

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hey guys,
Banning lead is not a bad thing. It is a fact that the stuff is TOXIC!, and lingers in whatever it contaminates.The health hazards of lead far outweigh it's usefulness, except that is still very cheap. There are quite a few good alternatives to lead use in fishing but yes, they are very expensive. There is also the the presently still legal method of isolating lead from the environment through the use of hard coatings such as powder paint. It is a fairly certain eventuality that lead will be banned, but at least there are some good alternatives available. We as fisherman are just going to have to buck up and bear the expense. I think it will be for our own good. I actually had a blood test done for something completely unrelated a few years ago and was surprised to hear from the lab that I had an unusually high aluminum (I handle a lot of aluminum tubing and fittings as part of my work) and lead content in my blood. I can only conclude that the lead was from all the years of handling raw uncoated lead sinkers while fishing. If I knew then what I know now,...

bodfish

bodfish

4BAN ON LEAD Empty Re: BAN ON LEAD Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:54 pm

Nick Danger

Nick Danger
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Handling metal lead is very safe actually, the body surface doesn't absorb metallic lead, but organic lead compounds can be absorbed dermally. Since you said you are exposed to tubing and fittings (and more importantly solder) with high aluminum and lead in your body the elevation is probably a result of exposure to solder vapors and/or fine metallic particles through inhalation and incidental ingestion. Also if you sand paint off walls or are around that is another easy way to get lead exposure.

Most of the environmental concerns for lead sinkers and the like is not because of fish, but birds. Many birds seek out and swallow small round stone to aid in digestion, so a nice round sinker or shot looks pretty good for that purpose. The grinding and the stomach acids causes round the clock exposure for these birds, often times leading to neurological damage and death as well as negatively affecting reproduction.

The same thing goes for lead in our daily lives, if you aren't exposed by work it really isn't a problem to the average adult. Children are a different story: as anyone who has been around kids knows, they put stuff into their mouths and more than parents would like to admit, eat some strange stuff like dirt. Children are also closer to the ground than adults and more susceptible to dust borne lead from flaking lead paint, contaminated soils. In addition, their small body size and rapid growth can cause what would be essentially harmless exposures for adults to have noticeable impacts on growth and development.

If you're thinking of lead pipes and the downfall of Rome, they added lead acetate (an organic lead compound) to wines to add sweetness. They called it "Sugar of lead." They also used it in tableware, cosmetics, glazes and other applications. Being around lead all the time like that is similar to what the birds who swallow lead go through, but people were still not dropping dead all over the place from lead poisoning.

Not that banning lead from certain applications is a bad idea, bullets add way more lead to the environment than fishing, lead paints and leaded gasoline, but I like facts and not scare mongering play the part in deciding legislation and regulation.

If I were you I'd worry more about people driving distracted than lead weights. If you are concerned about work exposure send me a msg detailing what you do and I'll run through probable exposures with you.

edit: sorry if I sound like an ass, I just went through years of schooling on bio, public health and toxicology so I like to use the info. It makes me feel like I got my monies worth Thumbs Up

5BAN ON LEAD Empty Re: BAN ON LEAD Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:49 am

HEADCASE881

HEADCASE881
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

B-bank
A-account
S-slowly
S-subsides

I work with auto parts even the dust is harmfull so needless to say i need a new job or just deal with the chemicals to the state of california that are known to cause birth defect and cancer AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH im gonna die slow and painful affraid affraid

6BAN ON LEAD Empty Re: BAN ON LEAD Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:49 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

This banning of lead fell all the way back to the early 1990s. That's why more and more company are coming out with alternative tackles over lead style. However, nothing as malleable, pliable, and cheap as lead. That's why lead is still in the tackle world. It will be decades before any dent will be made in the world of lead. However, us buying more products that is lead substitutes will promote the lead-free tackle industries. That is why I researched on limestone sinkers, stainless steel, fiber carbon, tungsten, and various other metals that will not cause detrimental effects like lead. I even try to look for Indian shops making tackles out of bones. Not many around and extremely hard to get.

7BAN ON LEAD Empty Re: BAN ON LEAD Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Its only a matter of time befor your not allowed to use lead any freash water lakes. Alot of places now for duck hunting you are no longer allowed to use lead shoots so its only matter of time.

8BAN ON LEAD Empty Re: BAN ON LEAD Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Dano67

Dano67

I'm all for using old spark plugs!

9BAN ON LEAD Empty Re: BAN ON LEAD Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:54 pm

Dano67 wrote:I'm all for using old spark plugs!

They work great for D/S

10BAN ON LEAD Empty Re: BAN ON LEAD Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:37 am

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

nick danger i think u hit it on the head its about other animal life not just fishing and my thought about banning lead STUPID if u want to say it harms ppl and other life then so does plastic how bout we start banning plastic and how about gas like lead gas is the cheapest but the most destructive and u dont see it goin away anytime soon and theres always other alternatives for everything they just cost more and america isnt about spending money america is about doin it the fastest and cheapest way

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum