FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Today at 10:02 am

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by jeffcpr Today at 9:46 am

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 5:05 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

My epic return to the Eastern Sierra

+2
Misfit_Angler138
bodfish
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Empty My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:21 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys,
Left Sunday at 4 in the morning for Crowley after an absence of about six years. Arrived in Bishop and immediately went to Brock's for advice and gear. I was dismayed to see a "Business for Sale" sign in the window. Alas the passing of another local icon. There was little stock on the shelves. Learned nothing.
Headed directly to Mammoth and The Troutfitter. Gathered a few new flies and a bit of info and then drove to Green Banks Bay for the afternoon. Crowley is a puddle. I have not seen it this low in many many years. Record water demands from LA, low snow pack, and record warm temps, have sent the lake to it's near historic lowest. This could be a very serious situation if we do not get an above average snow fall this year.

Put in at 2:00, calm wind, greenie brown water, algae, moon full, and air temps in the 80's. Not ideal. As I suspected fishing fair to poor. Lot's of 12-16" fish. Learned very little observing the other toobers. Sucked for all.

Monday, Returned to the north end, same conditions as Sun. Struggled to put a game plan together, hacked out a meager half dozen small ones. Dazed and confused. Plan on walking the Owens tomorrow instead of coming back to this disaster.

So after one of the worst day and a half sessions EVER on Crowley, I sat in front of the cabin at Tom's Place, beer in hand and mulled over the day. Carefully trying to piece a plan together. I realized that the incredibly bad conditions had put me off my game. Finally by the light of the still huge moon I completely re-rigged my gear, heavier sink lines, longer (15'+) lighter (5lb) leaders and tippets, different fly selection, and prepared for one last shot at The Lake.

Tuesday, Back again but with a new attitude. Same place, same conditions. New strategy, screw what I had seen and heard, This has always been my best game! Do what I do best and hadn't done up till now. Fish aggressively, concentrate on my mechanics, DO NOT FOLLOW THE CROWD!!

IT'S NOT LUCK! IT'S SKILL!!!

So I started outside the Flotilla fishing high and fast, Put four fish in the boat, that no one saw accept my partner, all over 16". Slide down to the mouth and speed strip in 2 feet of green water and boat four more including a 20" and a 19".

Got busted by the flotilla and soon have a lot of unwanted company. Gamechange!

Work a theory I had formulated by the light of the Sierra moon, and follow the sweet water at the mouth along the shore in 3-4' with a heavy sink line and a larger fly. Slide away from the Flotilla and up the bank and start hammering at a small pocket against the bank. Put three more away including my second 20".

Busted again! by a couple of pretty good sticks who had been the highliners from Sun. and Mon. Still good though, they are creeping small flies on the bottom. Make one last cast into the corner before I figured to give it up to them.

What followed was a 25 minute battle with the second largest Crowley trout of my career, and definitely the largest Brown. All of 24-25" and 6-8lbs. Sadly I lost him at the net. ( "Single, barbless hooks ONLY" ) Easily the largest fly caught fish at Crowley in a long time. I am exhausted, a bit disappointed, but more importantly I am redeemed. Finish the day with 12 fish over 16", 2 twenties, and a memorable scrap with a 25" Brown.

My epic return. I still got it when it counts.

bodfish

PS,... just for giggles, went to Rock Creek Lake with my friend this morning and
whack a double limit of DFG brood stock up to 20"on the fly. Drove home deliriously satisfied.

2My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Empty Re: My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:41 am

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

WOW, THATS QUITE A TRIP, I WOULDA LOVED TO SEE THAT BROWN, I WOULDA LOVED TO BE IN THE SIERRAS LOL
AWESOME WORK BRO, WAY-TO-SLAY!!!

If u got any pics, post'em please id love to see

3My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Empty brocks in bishop Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:42 am

tjflyfisher

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

its been a couple of years but the last time i was at brocks to get some advice and pick up some flies the guy at the counter was a jerk and wasn t interrested
in giving out information his answer to the question of what they were biting on
was (anything black and small)

ok great that tells me exactly what i need to buy ill walk across the street to culvers and pick up what i need
thanks and walked out

went to culvers and the people were awesome helped me pick some flies to fish the lower o and gave me the local fish report pretty good service at thier shop

tjflyfisher

4My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Empty Re: My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:17 am

Misfit_Angler138

Misfit_Angler138
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'll go to culvers next time then lol
I have a short fuse for rude people.

5My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Empty Re: My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Culvers is always helpful and friendly I just hate never getting out of that store for less than $30 if I'm lucky.

6My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Empty Re: My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:10 pm

Konacrush

Konacrush
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

AWESOME report love every word WTG brah Thumbs Up

https://youtu.be/mGBfDMfA0RU

7My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Empty Re: My epic return to the Eastern Sierra Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:24 am

flyfishingfool

flyfishingfool
Admin

great report.

thanks for sharing.

I'll be returning to the ES next week. hope i'm able to come across some browns in the loop.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrucha

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum