FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Today at 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

New to float tube fishing and need advice

+3
Tubetoad
Tubinferbass
squirrelpresley
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1New to float tube fishing and need advice Empty New to float tube fishing and need advice Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:48 am

squirrelpresley

FTFF Gathering Officer

I am looking to get a float tube. Cost is a definite factor but am looking in the $200 or cheaper range but want good quality that will last. Less expensive is better but won't sacrifice just to save money. I will fish for anything that swims but fly fishing for trout is my favorite. Ive read about the cumberlands and the fish cat 4 and several others. Any advice will help. I look forward to hearing anyones input.

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I own a fishcat 4 and love it theres allso the odc420 which is awesome. Cabelas has a sale on the odcs i think still goin on. I like the fact that it has a rubber coating on the bottom to help against tares and scrapes. I fish some pretty hairy spots and need the extra protection on bottom.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

Tubetoad

Tubetoad
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Only had one tube. Fish cat 4, had it for a little over a year and use it fairly often and love it. However my buddy has the same tube and got it the same time I did, and had both bladders pop on him!!!He uses his tube less often than me, so I am kind of skeptical now.

ShoreBucket

ShoreBucket
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

As with any tackle, alot depends on your style/approach. I chose the Fishcat4 for its mobility, as I like to cover as much water as I can (lake perris). I dont think the fishcat is as "stable" of a platform as the Cumberland in the wind/chop, but you can motor in a Fishcat on calm water.

geedavell

geedavell
FTFF Gathering Officer

I bought a FC off Craigslist for $100. I like it but the pointed end sits canted down in the water. Maybe my weight?(205) I had a hard time kicking around with the slightest wind. So I won a Prowler on Ebay for $380. $180 off retail. I love that thing. I floats like a frickin battleship!! My son has been using the FC with no complaints

Whacked

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Fish Cats are pretty popular.

I bought a CA Togiak 'cause it was cheap. Its a good tube and I like it. The only downside is the back support is non-existent. It doesn't bother me when kickin around but after 4-5hrs on the water, when I get out I can feel it in my lower back. Been thinking of making some sort of support mod out of foam or something as there is what looks like strap slots on the backside. I just haven't done anything about it yet.
I have seen a pic somewhere that someone hacked the legs off a plastic lawn chair and lashed it in. That seems a little too redneck for me.

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

geedavell is dead on about the Prowler. That thing is truly a battleship, in comparison to the Dave Scadden Escape. Those things are made for battling the out-of-control conditions. Not even the Cumberland comes close.

Fish Cat 4 LCS is a great intro to moderate and serious tubers. As long as you and your gears don't exceed 220lbs, you're golden. I've seen 250lbs maxed out weight loading causing a nightmare of a time in traveling through the water. Rule of thumb is, stay 20lbs less than the max weight capacity supported by the float.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum