FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Today at 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Today at 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Today at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Silly question, Sillier solution !

+5
fisheromen
jeffcpr
JsFishSlayer
Chomps
bassfishing24/7
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Silly question, Sillier solution ! Fri May 17, 2013 2:05 pm

A few discussions down you'll see my ' sucessful maiden voyage' thread that discussed a situtation where i lost air in my bladders when the temperature and air pressured dropped. Last night the same thing happened only it was a beautiful night out and i wasn't able to find a place to land to blow them back up. After doing a 'human pretzel' move, i was actually able to blow up the bladders on my ODC420 and keep going. My question is, could the water temperature be causing me to lose pressure ?? the pond is still cold, and i pumped that tube up hard as rock before i went in. The silly solution i came up with is, i cut a foot long piece of small garden hose that i shaved some of the rubber down on the end so it fits into the valve. Now i can just take that out of one of the storage compartments, blow it back up, and move along. Silly, but it works !

2Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Fri May 17, 2013 3:10 pm

bassfishing24/7

bassfishing24/7
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good idea but i think carrying a small pump will be much better

3Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Fri May 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yeah cold water makes you lose air in your tube. You should inflate it at home and check for leaks also I carry a small pump on my tube just incase I need it or somebody else needs it

4Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Sat May 18, 2013 1:29 am

JsFishSlayer

JsFishSlayer
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

ChompOnThis wrote:Yeah cold water makes you lose air in your tube. You should inflate it at home and check for leaks also I carry a small pump on my tube just incase I need it or somebody else needs it

x2

https://www.facebook.com/FishSlayerJoshS

5Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Sat May 18, 2013 7:28 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ney what ever floats your boat cheers sorry that just seamed right. A small pump or a small section of tube if it wofks it work. Yes cold water will do that but i agree maybe you should look for leaks before you head back out.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Sat May 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks for your replies !!! Much better this morning ..... Filled it up while it was still dark and kind of chilly............ went out, lost a tiny bit, used my 'state of the art' garden hose to add a little, then when the sun started heating things up, they turned hard as a rock !! I was actually worried one might explode on me mid-pond !

Man this tubing thing is fun !!

7Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Sun May 19, 2013 9:13 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Instead of a makeshift garden hose you can buy 3/4" OD plastic tubing. I carry 3 feet of it at all times.

BTW, you are not losing air but rather the volume is changing with the pressure. Altitude will affect it as well.

I also carry a bobby pin to let out air as needed. (used inside the valve, of course.)

8Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Mon May 20, 2013 10:49 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

That is one reason I love the cumberland float tube. The boston valves that it comes with are pressure releife valves, just push on them slightly to one side and they will release the extra air. done!

Oh yeah, always carry a small hand pump. Check out walmart or Big5, they sell them for like $5-$7 and they fit perfectly into the boston valves.

9Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Mon May 20, 2013 12:33 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Your tube shouldn't be pumped to rock hard solid. Just up to 90% is more than sufficient. If 90% of the air could not support your total weight and gears, you might want to go a bit higher. 10% under inflate is the best solution to allow expanding gas during warm days, although, you still need to monitor the bladders. Safest is 15% under inflate. As the day warms up and cool down, you know you'll be safe since the air inside the bladder will return back to the 85% - 90% of the pre-filled volume, unless you have a leak, or released some air during the day. As everyone suggested, always carry a small pump with you, unless you have titan's lungs to blow your bladders back up while on the water.

10Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Mon May 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Fisher

Fisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

in the mornings i blow my tube up all the way to make up for the lose when i get into the water and as it heats up i start letting air out as the tube gets harder. yes dont use a house go to home depot and get the small clear tubing and that will fit in the valve fine but a pump would be a better think to have

11Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Mon May 20, 2013 2:26 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Does anyone your a pressur gage to check there tube, seams like it could be a good tool to use.

12Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Mon May 20, 2013 2:39 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

jeffcpr wrote:Does anyone your a pressur gage to check there tube, seams like it could be a good tool to use.

Yes..and no. Yes, if I pump it at home to see if there's air leakage, once I max out the bladder. No, it's useless to have it used on the water, or permanently mount it onto the valve. Why? Your ability to sense if you're deflating is a lot more effective than the gauge. When your body pressurized the bladders downwards, the pressure comes back high against the valve, presenting you false air volume reading. You may have a full 5psi in your bladder, but you're practically sitting half way in the water, when you supposedly be at the top of the water.

13Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Mon May 20, 2013 2:43 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is great info bro I did not think of it that way. I still do the east test pump and squeeze, pump and squeeze that feels right.

14Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Mon May 20, 2013 2:48 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

By the way, I'm using 5psi, which is the specs for the Fish Cat 4 LCS bladders. Don't use the same pressure for the Cumberland or other float tubes. Most are in the 3psi. Anything greater than 3psi at max pressure will end up in a *BOOM* or *HISS* As you say it Jeff, pump and squeeze (no dirty thoughts intended), and it should have enough play to pinch a bit.

15Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Tue May 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Wow, what a great discussion, i just learned tons !! Never thought about something to let the air OUT on those hotter days that are coming. I'll be prepared now. Can one of these bladders actually burst ? Asianguy, i don't actually max them out when i first hit the water, but they are still very firm. I'm always afraid of over-inflating and going BOOM !.. Hey, i'm a newbie to this !! Best part of this tubing thing is, i haven't been skunked yet this year. It's still early, and as a shore guy, it was hit or miss this time of year. Being so mobile i cover entire ponds in no time and have had great sucess so far !! Thanks a bunch guys !!

16Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Tue May 21, 2013 7:58 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Under intense pressure, which results from over inflation, then exposing to hot sun light, as you pressurize the bladders with your gears and body weight, the bladders tends to break at the seams first, letting out the loud HISSSSS sound. However, older bladder with worned spots will indeed blow. I had mind blown out a while back, while I was on the water with my first tube, over the water that's 30 feet. I did not have much clue to how to use the tube properly since it was a used tube. There was no forum like this to inform me how to use the tube properly in different conditions. Well, let say, I learned it fast.

Very firm is not a good way to go when you first hit the water in the morning. Firm, yes..not very firm. There should be some room to press your fingers in, and still get about a good 1/4" worth of depression into the bladder. That's firm. If you're married, in a good relationship with a wonderful girl, and she allows you to squeeze her breasts, before she smack your head off. That will give you the proper method on how firm the bladders should be Razz Sorry..I just have to use visual aids for the ones in relationships.

17Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Wed May 22, 2013 8:49 am

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

wiseguy wrote:That is one reason I love the cumberland float tube. The boston valves that it comes with are pressure releife valves, just push on them slightly to one side and they will release the extra air. done!

I just checked mine and they do not do this. How old is your Cumberland? Mine is just a couple years old.

18Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Wed May 22, 2013 9:07 am

.:LOLLY:.

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

fisheromen wrote:
wiseguy wrote:That is one reason I love the cumberland float tube. The boston valves that it comes with are pressure releife valves, just push on them slightly to one side and they will release the extra air. done!

I just checked mine and they do not do this. How old is your Cumberland? Mine is just a couple years old.

Mine is about a year old and it does do it. I was with WiseGuy when we found out about this. We tried it on about 5 or 6 Cumberlands that were bought in different time frames and they all did it.

The way we would do it is inflate your tube and sit in it like you normally would. While sitting in the tube turn your body to locate the valve. Push outward on the valve on the side that is closest to you with the palm of your hand. You don't have to push too hard and you should hear a hissing sound.

19Silly question, Sillier solution ! Empty Re: Silly question, Sillier solution ! Wed May 22, 2013 9:11 am

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Getarz wrote:Wow, what a great discussion, i just learned tons !! Never thought about something to let the air OUT on those hotter days that are coming. I'll be prepared now. Can one of these bladders actually burst ? Asianguy, i don't actually max them out when i first hit the water, but they are still very firm. I'm always afraid of over-inflating and going BOOM !.. Hey, i'm a newbie to this !! Best part of this tubing thing is, i haven't been skunked yet this year. It's still early, and as a shore guy, it was hit or miss this time of year. Being so mobile i cover entire ponds in no time and have had great sucess so far !! Thanks a bunch guys !!

I have not heard of a bladder actually going boom. Although, I do know of a guy that left too much air in the bladders when he put his tube away. When he came back the bladders were not popped but the skin/cloth that holds the entire tube together was ripped up since the bladder expanded too much for the cloth to handle.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum