FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Yesterday at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Yesterday at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in EASTER Greetings
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is a 1/4Oz spoon too light for use with a baitcaster?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Al_G19

Al_G19
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I have a nice baitcaster set up I bought last year, and have not practiced with it that much so I am still lacking distance and confidence with it so far. But I am curious if I should be able to use a 1/4Oz spoon with it or would that be too light to expect much from it. I currently use a spin cast set-up for throwing spoons, using 8lb test vanish line.

The reason I want to use the baitcaster is I have recently lost two very large trout to the line snapping and the drag seem's a bit weak on the spincast reel.

Thanks......

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

1/4oz spoon is indeed light for bass rod, with a baitcaster, loaded with 10lbs or more. If you're setting your drag to light, and using light test pound or even braided line, not a problem. Trout rod, or ultralight spinning gears, not a problem.

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

hey guys,
   Quarter oz. lures absolutely can be cast with baitcasting outfits, it just takes a little practice and experimentation to get the right balance and performance from your equipment.
   First, if you are casting light baits with a bait caster you should learn to tune your centrifugal brakes properly to help prevent backlash. There are numerous vids on the net to teach you how. 
   Second, It will help tremendously to pair your baitcasting reel with a rod designed to cast low weight baits. (A bit slower, a bit longer, and med.- light power. light topwater bait rods tend to work well)
   Most power,speed, and action ratings on baitcasting rods (usually printed right on the rod) will show 1/4oz. as the lowest performance weight for casting. In reality 1/4oz. is in many cases too light to properly load these rods, resulting in short casts. Hence we usually end up trying to compensate by swinging the rod harder and faster (flailing) to try and get satisfactory distance, and as a result loosing casting control and accuracy.
    Third, you may want to experiment with different diameter and pound test lines, to see which may cast better with such light baits. 

In short, Yes, 1/4oz. baits can be cast very well with a baitcasting outfit, but it helps alot that the outfit be balanced and tuned for light weight baits, matched with the optimum line, and that you practice, practice, practice!!

Hee Hee!!    bodfish

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have to agree with bodfish, getting the right rod is gonna be the key. I think before you start casting 1/4oz lures, learn how to properly use your bc reel, otherwise, your gonna get real frustrated. Good luck..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum