FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

I need help catching halibut

+3
Tony G Fishing
Pdawg
gettinsalty
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I need help catching halibut Empty I need help catching halibut Mon May 19, 2014 8:03 pm

gettinsalty

gettinsalty
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Hey guys, over the last past years I've haven't really caught a decent size halibut, Ive tried live bait, big hammers, fools bait, and more its just Ive tried so much but I can never get one, I mean i love catching sandys, spotties, and more its just I really want to get one bad! Plz comment all your tips and links to help me catch a pancake!

Tight lines

2I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Tue May 20, 2014 5:51 am

Pdawg

Pdawg
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Fish a drop shot with gulp 14" from weight. Drag the rig and work the lure with your line. Try not to pull the weight of the bottom. Big smelt for bait with a trap rig is also very productive. Fish the channel edges and sand flats. Jetty corners and sloughs are always a good bet. Fish 2 rods. Think toad. Carry a gaff as a lucky charm. And release your next fish. Fish gods will smile. Good look man.

Oh and if there is a grunion run go collect some and freeze them for dead bait. Candy.

3I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Tue May 20, 2014 6:00 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Wish i could help...i need to catch me a legal too.....only legal ive caught was off the surf at bolsa chica beach...bout 28 incher or so weighed 7 lbs.....caught it on a lucky craft lure 110

4I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Tue May 20, 2014 8:02 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I like using green colored baits for the most part when I target halibut. 5" sexy smelt is my favorite on a 1/2 oz lead head. Bounce it along the bottom, pause, some erratic movements with the rod tip and work the channel edges or sandy bottoms.  Keep working the area keeping your casts about 5-10' apart until you completely cover an area.  Also, MC makes those big 5" curly tail baits, caught my PB halibut on that one so far, green colored, of course. Most of my legal halibuts have almost all been on green baits.

5I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Tue May 20, 2014 8:07 am

gettinsalty

gettinsalty
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Pdawg wrote:Fish a drop shot with gulp 14" from weight. Drag the rig and work the lure with your line. Try not to pull the weight of the bottom. Big smelt for bait with a trap rig is also very productive. Fish the channel edges and sand flats. Jetty corners and sloughs are always a good bet. Fish 2 rods. Think toad. Carry a gaff as a lucky charm. And release your next fish. Fish gods will smile. Good look man.

Oh and if there is a grunion run go collect some and freeze them for dead bait. Candy.

Thank you very much bro, I'm gonna have to try this now.

6I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Tue May 20, 2014 8:08 am

gettinsalty

gettinsalty
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

wiseguy wrote:I like using green colored baits for the most part when I target halibut. 5" sexy smelt is my favorite on a 1/2 oz lead head. Bounce it along the bottom, pause, some erratic movements with the rod tip and work the channel edges or sandy bottoms.  Keep working the area keeping your casts about 5-10' apart until you completely cover an area.  Also, MC makes those big 5" curly tail baits, caught my PB halibut on that one so far, green colored, of course.  Most of my legal halibuts have almost all been on green baits.

Thanks for the info, now its time for me and my buddies to get one.

7I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Tue May 20, 2014 12:39 pm

bballnono

bballnono
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Yeah Danny, we need to get some this summer. Last summer we got a ton of shorts even up to 18". I have some bass assasin baits and some 5"-6" white curl tail grubs. Will those work? We also have gulp sandworms. Will those work?

8I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Tue May 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

the3hermanos wrote:Yeah Danny, we need to get some this summer. Last summer we got a ton of shorts even up to 18". I have some bass assasin baits and some 5"-6" white curl tail grubs. Will those work? We also have gulp sandworms. Will those work?

Ive caught halibut on the gulp sandworm the redbloodworm no legals but plenty of shorties....

9I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Wed May 21, 2014 8:51 am

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Depends on if you want to use lures or live bait. I've caught lots of legal Hail's on both but I always prefer live bait when I target them specifically. One big factor I did not see mentioned is location. Some places are just a lot better than others. My favorites for Halibut include certain portions of the LAB, Cabrillo, an Diego Bay Mission Bay and King Harbor. But here are a few tips to increase your odds.

#1 Fish during Grunion runs. ( The runs bring the Halibut closer to shore and put them in a major feeding mood.
#2 Pick good tidal movements. and fish your baits into the current.( the way the fish will probably be facing )
#3 Set up a good drift at the right speed.
#4 Select soft bottom areas near to some sort of structure. Halibut will lay and wait for prey in areas adjacent to places that ill hold bait.
#5 Don't be scared to use BIG BAITS. A thing I see a lot from too many anglers is they are just not throwing baits that's are big enough. Take a lesson from the freshwater swimbait throwers. I catch 12" spotties on 9" swimbaits and they have the bait all the way down their throat. I will fish a 1# mackerel for Halibut any day of the week.
#6 Once you hook one Halibut stay in that area and take note of the depth you were fishing in.
#7 Drag A-Rigs along the bottom....

http://www.kickbassfishing.com

10I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Wed May 21, 2014 11:23 am

Pdawg

Pdawg
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

1lb Mac yeeeeewwww trophy hunt! I like it.

11I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Wed May 21, 2014 11:31 am

bayfishingjunkie

bayfishingjunkie
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Macks, lizard fish, brown bait, the bigger the better...

http://www.kickbassfishing.com

12I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Wed May 21, 2014 11:32 am

Pdawg

Pdawg
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Kittens bra

13I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Wed May 21, 2014 11:37 am

Pdawg

Pdawg
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

All this fish chit chat is making crave some Bendo. Gonna fish later.

14I need help catching halibut Empty Re: I need help catching halibut Wed May 21, 2014 8:21 pm

thisfool

thisfool
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

find a nice sandy bottom that leads up to structure like grass or rocks like said before drag a drop shot and also drag a bait on the lead head. and just comb the sand back and forth cover as much ground as possible

http://www.foolsbaitco.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum