FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by jeffcpr Today at 11:05 am

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

NPH on Saturday, October 11

+5
vincecinq
Ifishtoolittle
jeffcpr
Tony G Fishing
Desperado64
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty NPH on Saturday, October 11 Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:02 pm

Desperado64

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

In preparation for this coming Saturday, I went to Newport last Saturday to check it out since I've never fished there before. I got there later than I wanted because of a freeway closure, but unloaded and was on the water around 6:30am. From the Coast Guard Station, I started kicking towards the harbor entrance. I managed to catch three spotties--two small ones, one was decent.

I kept kicking towards the bait barge until I realized that I was no longer really moving--it was just like a water treadmill due to the current. If I really put some effort into it, I could make some progress, but then I'd be exhausted. So I let the current take me back towards the Coast Guard Station where I picked up one decent sand bass.

Then I let the current take me a little further, and I got my ass kicked making my way back to the beach at the Coast Guard Station. I was really surprised how strong the current was.

I'm looking forward to this Saturday--hopefully some of you wiser, more experienced tubers will pass along some sage advice to us Newbies! Very Happy

2NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:08 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

WTG out there Desperado and oh man yeah that current can sucks real hard ive been in it and like you said it feels like a treadmill hahaha, thanks for the report and WTG on the spotties..this saturday should be good Thumbs Up

Tony G

3NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:45 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Thanks for the report bro sounds like a tough leg work out, here is my advice to the newbie Kick like your life depends on it. Or just give in and go for a ride. Make sure you get a good tide flow chart on your smart phone if you have one. Learn to understand it and plan your trips according to that, you will always deal with some sort of tide. But planning your attack it the best way to beat the tough kick.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Desperado64

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

jeffcpr wrote:Thanks for the report bro sounds like a tough leg work out, here is my advice to the newbie Kick like your life depends on it.  Or just give in and go for a ride.  Make sure you get a good tide flow chart on your smart phone if you have one.  Learn to understand it and plan your trips according to that, you will always deal with some sort of tide.  But planning your attack it the best way to beat the tough kick.

I have now downloaded a tide chart app on my phone. Thanks for the good advice.

5NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:38 pm

Ifishtoolittle

Ifishtoolittle
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

All of the above is solid advice.

I've never had any really good experiences at NPH around the Coast Guard station or tight channels. Like you mentioned, the current is so strong that you aren't moving. I've had a few experiences like that. You get thighs of steel after though lol.

I would just avoid that area in the future. There are plenty of other nicer, calmer spots in NPH.

6NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:52 pm

vincecinq

FTFF Gathering Officer

current=fish. sometimes you gotta earn it.....Ive had my best/most frustrating days on 6 ft + tide swings. good luck and see you guys saturday I hope. cheers and tight lines

7NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:11 am

CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER

CHRIS THE FISH SLAYER
Fishermen of the Year 2014

WTG! Desperado64, I'm looking forward to this weekend myself Very Happy I also downloaded the tide chart but I myself am going to have to read up on it to understand it better scratch

8NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:10 am

Desperado64

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

FISHING ALL DAY BABY wrote:WTG! Desperado64, I'm looking forward to this weekend myself Very Happy I also downloaded the tide chart but I myself am going to have to read up on it to understand it better scratch

I'm in the same boat (or tube, as it were), FADB. I watched a couple of YouTube videos which helped.

I'll see you on Saturday!

9NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:24 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Hey desperado..I recommend instead of going towards the barge make a right and fish the whole right side of balboa yacht club...holds lots of fish and the current isn't anything quiet like u experienced..i fish this spot most of the times I go out...I learned the hard way lol..barge is good cuz of the fish that around but its a hella of a kick and back lol

10NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:01 am

Desperado64

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Fishingdachronarch201E7 wrote:Hey desperado..I recommend instead of going towards the barge make a right and fish the whole right side of balboa yacht club...holds lots of fish and the current isn't anything quiet like u experienced..i fish this spot most of the times I go out...I learned the hard way lol..barge is good cuz of the fish that around but its a hella of a kick and back lol

Awesome advice, Fishingdachronarch201E7. Thank you!

11NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:28 am

wiseguy

wiseguy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good report and good prefishing! See you guys Saturday!

12NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:23 am

thisfool

thisfool
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Good report bud.

here is my advice.

Look at at your tide chart. For example for the event coming up we have a high tide of 4.56' at 7:16am and a low tide of 1.94' at 1:12pm. now i might be wrong about this part but i belive that means feet above normal sea level, But what i do know is that is only a 2.62' drop over the course of 6 hours. so that means the water will be going out at a little less then half a foot per hour. Very mellow and should not be hard to kick agenst at all especially in depper wider areas.

knowing the above info i feel confident enough to launch where every i want and keep the abilty to fish in immediate area. So taking saturday for instance i know there is some very good areas just outside of the coast gaurd station that if i wanted i could work that area all day, or or oooooorrr i could use the current and a little leg power and get down to the bait barge kinda easy and quick, and still have the energy and ablity to kick back.

but if the swing was lets say 1' a hour that would be much tougher to fish so i would look on google maps ( or if you know the harbor enough you have plenty of places in your memory banks) to launch ahead or under the areas you would like to fish and let the current be your friend. Many times i have made complete laps around balboa Island using the current, or lanuched from coast gaurd station and ride the current all the way up to Lido Island with very little effort. It makes for a long day beacuse you have to wait for tide to turn around to carry you home but with such little effort put in its not that hard of a day. Once you get better at your timing and how fast you will move you can launch from one are ride the current to where you want to go, get there right at slack tide fish the area for that time and then let the current carry you home.

On days with a slower current that is usualy when i take my time and work 1 area at a time for the bass. On days with fast curent wich it seems like is most weekends lately ( i only get to fish weekends and for a little while now the weekends have had the stronger tides) i just let the current do its thing and aim my self for the bass spots and try to pick up halibut inbetween.

Last edited by thisfool on Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.foolsbaitco.com

13NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:45 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Thanks for the report and the education!

14NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:46 pm

thisfool wrote:Good report bud.

here is my advice.

Look at at your tide chart. For example for the event coming up we have a high tide of 4.56' at 7:16am and a low tide of 1.94' at 1:12pm. now i might be wrong about this part but i belive that means feet above normal sea level, But what i do know is that is only a 2.62' drop over the course of 6 hours. so that means the water will be going out at a little less then half a foot per hour. Very mellow and should not be hard to kick agenst at all especially in depper wider areas.

knowing the above info i feel confident enough to launch where every i want and keep the abilty to fish in immediate area. So taking saturday for instance i know there is some very good areas just outside of the coast gaurd station that if i wanted i could work that area all day, or or oooooorrr i could use the current and a little leg power and get down to the bait barge kinda easy and quick, and still have the energy and ablity to kick back.

but if the swing was lets say 1' a hour that would be much tougher to fish so i would look on google maps ( or if you know the harbor enough you have plenty of places in your memory banks) to launch ahead or under the areas you would like to fish and let the current be your friend. Many times i have made complete laps around balboa Island using the current, or lanuched from coast gaurd station and ride the current all the way up to Lido Island with very little effort. It makes for a long day beacuse you have to wait for tide to turn around to carry you home but with such little effort put in its not that hard of a day. Once you get better at your timing and how fast you will move you can launch from one are ride the current to where you want to go, get there right at slack tide fish the area for that time and then let the current carry you home.

On days with a slower current that is usualy when i take my time and work 1 area at a time for the bass. On days with fast curent wich it seems like is most weekends lately ( i only get to fish weekends and for a little while now the weekends have had the stronger tides) i just let the current do its thing and aim my self for the bass spots and try to pick up halibut inbetween.

x2

15NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Desperado64

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

here is my advice.

Thank you.  This was very helpful

16NPH on Saturday, October 11 Empty Re: NPH on Saturday, October 11 Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:00 pm

thisfool

thisfool
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Desperado64 wrote:

here is my advice.

Thank you.  This was very helpful

Awesome glad i could help.

http://www.foolsbaitco.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum