FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

looking for a new casting rod and reel set up

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

NeKro

NeKro
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So I'm looking at getting a new set up. I currently have a 6'6 carrot stix with black max thats I've had for a few years. The black max is still going strong. Looking for another rod/reel set up so i don't have to be swapping lures all the time. I am looking at getting the Abu Garcia Veritas 2.0 Casting Rod, looking at 7'MH. The casting reels is what I'm looking and reading into know. I like buying from tackle warehouse, free overnight shipping and a small business is where I rather spend my money. There limited as far as choice but I love ordering from them. Im not trying to break the bank either. what are some good reels to look at? Looking at the revo S3... kinda have OCD and like to color match as much as possible... Any inputs on some casting reels?

Trying to keep it all White I see , I have held both the rod and that Reel at bass pro and the combo felt very comfortable in the hand . I do agree with you on OCD part . my stuff has to match .

Only other Thing I would say is look at the Lews speed spool casting Reels (Black) would still match and they are great reels , had mine for going on 2 yrs and going strong . The Choices that you have already looked into will be a great match though Thumbs Up

MenyoG

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

If you are comfortable with Abu, check ffo-tackle.com.

They have the black maxx, pro maxx, which is one step up and then the orra, which, I think is one model above the pro maxx.

They also have the veritas line of rods on the site.

As a bonus they have a $25 off of $100 coupon code, right on their site, going on now.

I'd go with the 7' veritas or Fenwick HMX, which I fish, ant the Orra SX.

That'll be $120ish, plus tax and ship, minus $25.  Prolly about $110-110 for the combo.

Manuel

bruinhook

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

On this topic. How many of you that fish both salt and fresh, only buy inshore reels? How many of you use freshwater reels in the salt, but just make sure to wash them? Just curious if it's worth it to spend the extra on a nice inshore reel or if washing a regular reel is just as good.

MenyoG

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

I fish freshwater casters in the tube and surf.  I am gonna guess that 80% of light line reels are freshwater reels.

The key is maintenance. I service my reels annually.  Which is a full breakdown, cleaning and lube. spool bearings get flushed and oiled 3-4 times a year, depending on use.

The only caution I have heard is not to use reels with magnesium parts in the salt. I can't afford these reels so, not an issue for me.

I would not hesitate to buy any reel labelled as fresh and fish it in the salt.

Manuel

NeKro

NeKro
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

bruinhook wrote:On this topic. How many of you that fish both salt and fresh, only buy inshore reels? How many of you use freshwater reels in the salt, but just make sure to wash them? Just curious if it's worth it to spend the extra on a nice inshore reel or if washing a regular reel is just as good.

I use my rods for both salt and fresh. I just make sure to clean all my gear well so the saltwater won't mess my gear up

Chomps

Chomps
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I hear good things about the 13fishing omen rods and the new Phenix maxim rods

dondraper

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Hi Guys,

I am also in the market for a second casting setup.  Instead of starting a new thread I figured I would piggy back on this one.

I'm looking to get cranking rig, something specifically for hard baits.  I am pretty sure I have settled on the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.], the 7' Meadium Heavy with Moderate action.  This is the cranking model from what I can tell from the reviews and FAQ.

For the reel I am looking at the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].  But I am not sure between the 5.5:1 or the 6.3:1 model.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum