FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ambidextrous casting?

+7
n2deepfsw
Dano67
Tubinferbass
TheAsianGuy
ed5000x
MASSfisher
waxon67
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ambidextrous casting? Empty Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:51 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Anyone comfortable with casting in either hand?

2Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:00 am

MASSfisher

MASSfisher
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Yup. I cast with my right hand then switch the rod over to my left and crank with my right. After hearing people (pro anglers on youtube and tv shows) talk about the importance of casting with one hand and cranking with the other I gave it a try....I can do it and it's not as awkward as you think. Accuracy goes down a lot but with practice it gets better.

Occasionally I'll cast with my left in tight quarters but for the most part I cast with my right, switch over and crank with my right. In my opinion it doesn't make a huge difference, even for tournament anglers trying to "save time". The key is to switch over really quick though so you don't miss fish on the drop.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brian21x

3Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:34 am

with casting reels, i cast with my right, switch and reel in my right with the rod in my left hand.
for spinning reels, cast with right and reel in with my left.
This just feels normal to me.

4Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:38 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

That's fun cause I try to cast with my left this weekend actually I try to cast two pole at once from my tube was not to bad but felt a lil weird then I try just one the left and did OK not where I want it to land about 10 feet off but my I will practice this more

5Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:41 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Do it all the time. Got the Browning and Quantum reels that allow me to switch the handles to either side. My left hand is about 90% accurate in casting comparing to my right, but the same amount of power. That's why I modded my tube and pontoon to have all rods in the back, with four rod holders on both sides just in case I do a lot of switching for casting.

6Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:35 am

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Cast with the right hand n reel with left no switch over cant reel with right hand dosent feel comfy.

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

7Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 am

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Learning to cast either hand doesn't take much. It's like riding a bicycle. Literally. You'll hook yourself a few times, but you'll learn real fast Rolling Eyes Best thing to do during days you're home is to cast with just a 1/4oz weight at the end of the line if you're practicing. Go lighter if you're refining. If you have a short rod, say, 5' or up to 6', you can do it indoor. I have a 5'6", and works pretty well in the living room, casting into my kids' toy bucket. Try at 2', then 5', then 10', and so on as you watch TV. I can say in about 4 good hours of practice, you'll nail it on light cast. 4 days, you'll be amazed at your brain willing to adapt. 4 weeks, you'll be a pro. 4 months, you're ambidextrous. 4 years, you're a mater at holding a beer while casting, while whistling the tunes of your choice. 4 decades, well, we'll just see how your two hands doing after being slapped all over place for grabbing too many...eeeer..going a bit too far there..rewinding!

8Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:55 am

I am. I cast both right and left. Sometimes when you would like your bait in a certain area. Smile

9Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:49 am

Tubinferbass

Tubinferbass
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I dunno I like castin with the right arm n reelin with left... My right is my strong dominant army an thats what I want holdin on the rod. I can pitch n flick flip flop toss under hand n over jus feels more comfy that way really never needed to cast with both Smile

http://www.lastchancetackle.com

10Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:07 am

Dano67

Dano67

Im learning to cast with both before I switch all my reels over to lefty!

11Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:45 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Dano67 wrote:Im learning to cast with both before I switch all my reels over to lefty!
Let me know when you do I'll buy your right hand reels also your gopro2 camera since the on switch is on the right. Lol

12Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:57 pm

Dano67

Dano67

its on the left if it's facing you .see I'm rt ahead of the game

13Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:00 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Lol!

14Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:38 pm

never relized how meny switch caster there are on this forum affraid

15Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:11 pm

fishntoss

fishntoss
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I cast with the right with everything. The baitcaster is the only one I switch hands to reel in with

16Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:17 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I can cast the baitcaster with my feet..seriously.

17Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:08 pm

Vagabond

Vagabond
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I spinning reel cast with my right but I bait cast with my left. I was always told that I was right handed since I write with it but I find I do the same amount of things with either hand, I thinks it's from years of working with my hands I just got used to using both and don't favor one all the time.

As a kid though my parents put me in softball and it sucked because I favored catching and throwing with my left hand so I would catch a ball then pull my glove off to throw it.

18Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:28 am

bodfish

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hey guys
I am left handed.
I cast right handed.
I pitch and flip left handed.
I fly cast with either side depending which way the wind is blowing.
I am too old to switch hands now.

bodfish

19Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:13 am

CanadianTubeFisher

CanadianTubeFisher
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Fishing I have always used my right hand to cast, reel with my left hand. Same for fly fishing cast with the right hand, strip with the left. But playing hockey or golf I am a lefty.

20Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:25 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well I am on my way to becoming a switch hitter myself. I also like the idea that lefty reels are often a little cheaper than righty's. Options are gooooooooood!

21Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:00 am

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

waxon67 wrote:Well I am on my way to becoming a switch hitter myself. I also like the idea that lefty reels are often a little cheaper than righty's. Options are gooooooooood!

You always have to keep your options open brotha! Haha

22Ambidextrous casting? Empty Re: Ambidextrous casting? Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Options good more techniques good more money to spend on more reels not to good I have so much stuff and now I am using bait casters and and trying to build my arm of bait casters is hard cause I want everything I see not good

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum