FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Today at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Today at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Today at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Today at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Today at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

humminbird piranhamax 195c alternative battery option?

+3
jeffcpr
Tony G Fishing
Wyu
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Wyu

Wyu
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

So I just recently bought a humminbird piranhamax 195c and was looking for a 12v gel battery for it online when I came across this YouTube video of this guy using 8 AA batteries to power his unit up.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The video was pretty cool. Knowing how much lighter and less space it would take than the 12v gel block battery. So I began search in other battery options.

So far I've found 12v RC car batteries something like this.

Does anyone have or know of anyone with this setup? Or have any knowledge in this kind of stuff?

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Hey Wyu,

I use a Tenergy, works flawless and i highly recommend it over regular batteries

Item No: 40803
TB1212 (12V-1-4Ah)

Hope this helps and its tiny, it fits perfect in my compartment....here is another pic bro, good luck, i get about 2 full days out of it before i have recharge....bought it at frys for like 24 bucks or so...

Tony G

Last edited by Fishingdachronarch201E7 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That was a great idea thanks for sharing that Wyu

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

VegasFishing

FTFF Gathering Officer

Yep, I use a 12V 2000mAh RC battery pack. I get at least a full day of charge with it as long as the backlight on my fishfinder is off. I have a Piranhamax 175 (black & white) but I can't remember what the amp draw is but it is minimal. A color FF may drain it faster. I recharge each time I go out.

Mine is: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have it in a 4x4" watertight junction box mounted to my PVC rod holder for my tube.

Wyu

Wyu
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

VegasFishing wrote:Yep, I use a 12V 2000mAh RC battery pack. I get at least a full day of charge with it as long as the backlight on my fishfinder is off. I have a Piranhamax 175 (black & white) but I can't remember what the amp draw is but it is minimal. A color FF may drain it faster. I recharge each time I go out.

Mine is: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have it in a 4x4" watertight junction box mounted to my PVC rod holder for my tube.

Thanks VegasFishing for the info. I have the color 195c model. I'm hoping to be able to use it all day. So I believe I might have to get a bigger battery pack since it'll probably take up more power than your 175 model.

Any insight as to how much bigger of a battery pack I need?

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Definitely don't go with the triple A battery pack. It only lasts a couple of 5 or 6 hour trips. I run a lowrance 67c. Been wanting to get a 12v 3 or 4 ah gel. I have a 12v 7ah battery from the yak but it's too big for the tube.

VegasFishing

FTFF Gathering Officer

One more consideration. If you do use AA rechargeables, you would need a 10-battery holder since they are only 1.2v. You would need a 8-battery holder if you use nonrechargeables at 1.5V. Thats why I switched to the rechargeable RC 12V battery...

VegasFishing

FTFF Gathering Officer

Wyu, looks like your FF draws 220mA so you would get about 8-9 hours from a 2000mAh battery. Is this calculation correct?

fishfrenzy

fishfrenzy
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Here is my setup for my hummingbird 170 I run 8 AA batteries. I picked up the battery holder and connection wires at radio shack for under $5 and I have gotten about 9 hours of juice so far on these harbor freight batteries.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Wyu

Wyu
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

VegasFishing wrote:Wyu, looks like your FF draws 220mA so you would get about 8-9 hours from a 2000mAh battery. Is this calculation correct?

VegasFishing that sounds about right. Thanks for the info.

Wyu

Wyu
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

fishfrenzy wrote:Here is my setup for my hummingbird 170 I run 8 AA batteries. I picked up the battery holder and connection wires at radio shack for under $5 and I have gotten about 9 hours of juice so far on these harbor freight batteries.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That looks like a pretty cool set up Fishfrenzy.

What case are you using? And did you drill a hole for the wire to pass through?

fishfrenzy

fishfrenzy
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Thanks it works but isn't the prettiest set up. I use to have it all in a gallon bag zip lock. The case Was from Walmart. The great outdoors or whatever there knock off name is, it is in the outdoor/camping area. I don't have a hole drilled in it. I am not realy sure how how i would seal it again after running the adapters thru. I just clamp one of the clasp and have the wire come out the opposite side. I haven't had any issues yet the big case is more for the wire management.

fishfrenzy wrote:Here is my setup for my hummingbird 170 I run 8 AA batteries. I picked up the battery holder and connection wires at radio shack for under $5 and I have gotten about 9 hours of juice so far on these harbor freight batteries.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pretty close to my setup , only problem I find is the connector pops loose from the battery holder sometimes , thus turning my finder off . So I use a Rubberband around the 9v connector to make sure it stays in place now and I am much smaller with my case in a sandwich box i got from the dollar store

Wes

VegasFishing

FTFF Gathering Officer

Here's my setup in a watertight junction box attached to my rod holder...

This 8-cell battery pack was replaced with a RC pack...

Completely detachable and self-contained...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]"

Devil Dog

Devil Dog
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Fishingdachronarch201E7 wrote:Hey Wyu,

I use a Tenergy, works flawless and i highly recommend it over regular batteries

Item No: 40803
TB1212 (12V-1-4Ah)

Hope this helps and its tiny, it fits perfect in my compartment....here is another pic bro, good luck, i get about 2 full days out of it before i have recharge....bought it at frys for like 24 bucks or so...

Tony G

I had a battery like this one on my kick boat, found it on Amazon for like 24 bucks including shipping. I charged battery for a day to make sure it was fully charged, and then ran the humminbird prianna max 160 for 3 days in simulator mode with light on, it only dropped 2 volts

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum