FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Maiden Voyage

+4
Jerdon
kin
NeKro
Urban Cowboy
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Maiden Voyage Empty Maiden Voyage Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:29 pm

Urban Cowboy

Urban Cowboy
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

So as I reported on another thread yesterday I went out to SARL in hopes of catching some of those pretty lightning trout, and caught these two cat instead. The First was on a Lip Ripperz trout jig and the second on hatchery pellet PowerBait... Go figure... They fought hard, and it was fun to be towed around the lake for a bit. As for today, I'm very tired. I couldn't get out of bed yesterday. It hurts to walk. My feet are killing me. What the heck did I do wrong? Perhaps I was working too hard to fight the wind? I don't know. Anyway, with all of that said, I can't wait to get out there again this weekend! I LOVED IT! (note... I threw back both although the stringer was in the first. I wanted to make sure he didn't get away before I got a pic of my first float tube catch!) Thanks for the advice in helping make this possible guys. Looking forward to sharing future fish stories with y'all. Tight lines everyone! Cheers!   Thumbs Up

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://dfiinsurance.com/

2Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:39 pm

NeKro

NeKro
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

nice cats. i hate catching cats but like eating them. Just something about that I cant even touch them.

3Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:18 pm

Urban Cowboy

Urban Cowboy
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks man. I'm the opposite. I honestly don't know how to cook them. Thrown back probably 50 in my lifetime. I love fighting them though. They have pull like twice their weight. The first one had my 7'6" rod tip in the water pretty good. I thought I had one of those 10+ pound trout on the line. Heart sank when I saw it but then I realized a catch is a catch and it was not only my first float tube fish, but also my first on that new rod and reel I just picked up. It was a good day. Oh and yeah, I forgot how they bite when you try to dehook them. Should have went straight to the hook remover in the first place. Strong jaws got my finger pretty good. Haha.

4Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:21 pm

NeKro

NeKro
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I like them fried, or they are to fishy eating for me.

5Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:41 pm

Urban Cowboy

Urban Cowboy
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Fried a whole one once. Gutted it and threw it in a pan. I think with a deep fryer it would've been much better although it wasn't bad. I'm just a trout guy. I want to get out in the bay soon and get some saltwater fish going. Everything seems to taste better from the ocean.

6Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:48 pm

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Secret is to fry them like you would chicken. A buttermilk soak for a few hours goes a lot way before you dredge them in flour

7Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:53 pm

Urban Cowboy

Urban Cowboy
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

kin wrote:Secret is to fry them like you would chicken. A buttermilk soak for a few hours goes a lot way before you dredge them in flour

Thanks Kin. Just soak them in buttermilk huh? I'll try it next time. You fry them in a pan?

8Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Well congratz of the first trip and taming the cats with your trout gear.

It does take a while for your muscles to get used to the stress a fin will put on your feet. I guess your young because you didn't mention fatigue while on the water.

We are going to need a recipe book soon.

9Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:24 pm

Urban Cowboy

Urban Cowboy
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Haha thanks Jerdon. You see I figured out that picture thing... And I'm not going to lie, I didn't kick all the way back to the car after the third outhouse break. Got my tired butt to the nearest shore and walked to go get the car. I was tired.

10Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:44 am

kin

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Urban Cowboy wrote:

Thanks Kin. Just soak them in buttermilk huh? I'll try it next time. You fry them in a pan?

Yes sir...however you like to fry your chicken. Try using mayo too before you dredge...heart is going to hate you, but it's pretty good lol

11Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:47 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Urban Cowboy rock on bro that is so cool sorry you did not find the trout but nice Kitties bro. As for the pain the day after, it could be your fins, it could be the wind, but more then likely it is just going to take some time get use to fishing from a tube.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

12Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Way to kick of your maiden voyage, GREAT JOB!!! and yeah those SARL cats have some fight to them! i also was there for trout last year and caught cats LOL go figure, i have yet to pull a trout from SARL lol.....and im hitting the Bay on wednesday with some other buddies, keep me posted if you wanna cruise.....

13Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:38 pm

Urban Cowboy

Urban Cowboy
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks guys. Man I wish I could go to the bay Wednesday. I work until 5:30 Monday through Friday. Think I'm gonna hit up prado wetlands or my other spot by chino creek after work tomorrow. I'm from corona so the bay would be a far drive, especially in traffic. Thanks for the invite though. Next time hopefully on a weekend! Let me know. Thumbs Up

14Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:58 am

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Those Cat's always put up a good fight. Always fun catching them. Congrat's on a successful maiden voyage!

15Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:05 pm

Urban Cowboy

Urban Cowboy
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Thanks David. Appreciate it bud.

16Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:22 am

Tony G Fishing

Tony G Fishing

Urban Cowboy wrote:Thanks guys. Man I wish I could go to the bay Wednesday. I work until 5:30 Monday through Friday. Think I'm gonna hit up prado wetlands or my other spot by chino creek after work tomorrow. I'm from corona so the bay would be a far drive, especially in traffic. Thanks for the invite though. Next time hopefully on a weekend! Let me know. Thumbs Up

no doubt...will have to set something for a weekend...ill keep you posted!... Thumbs Up

17Maiden Voyage Empty nice blue cafish Fri May 20, 2016 6:23 pm

muktuk31

FTFF Gathering Officer

nice blue man, sorry late to the conversation. I target bluegill and catfish over here in West KY. as far as cooking I usually fillet them out, then toss them in a corn meal breading and pan fry the fillets in lard or bacon grease. Got to use cast iron if you got it. a lot of people deep fry them and I have even baked them with breading on. all are good ways to cook catfish. At the old school mom and pop places around here they make fiddlers plates which is two smaller catfish gutted and coated in flour and deep fried and they are good too

18Maiden Voyage Empty Re: Maiden Voyage Fri May 20, 2016 8:53 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch