FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Today at 10:02 am

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by jeffcpr Today at 9:46 am

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Today at 5:05 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

pontoons Vs float tubs???

+6
flyfishingfool
bayfishingjunkie
huyeed
Dano67
jeffcpr
showtime
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:02 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

LGHT wrote:ahh ok. I have used these before and they are actually pretty powerful, but I think my buddy paid around $300 for his. That would increase the cost of a tube quit a bit. Couldn't you just get a small electric motor to mount on the back of the tube or is that not an option. However it would be nice to have 2 toys instead of just one.

yes 300 dollars is a bit much but for some reason when i got mine at sams club it cost me 75 dollars there bad Thumbs Up

27pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:07 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wow $75 isn't that bad he must have gotten the bigger one. I'll have to keep that in mind. I sure would rather sit back and ride if the need every came around instead of oaring. Plus it would be a great safety feature if the tube ever went down. How heavy is it and do you just store it in the "trunk"??

28pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:14 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

LGHT wrote:Wow $75 isn't that bad he must have gotten the bigger one. I'll have to keep that in mind. I sure would rather sit back and ride if the need every came around instead of oaring. Plus it would be a great safety feature if the tube ever went down. How heavy is it and do you just store it in the "trunk"??

I just tie it to the tube and pull it when i am fishing and if i have to cross the use it or if i get tried and wind and current is bad i just tow me and a buddy right back to shore Twisted Evil
i do think the are 300 hundred but like i said sams club messed up on the price

29pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:28 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

LHGT how about this more along the lines of what you are looking for only I think it is around $100

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

30pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:47 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

jeffcpr wrote:LHGT how about this more along the lines of what you are looking for only I think it is around $100

yes

31pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:22 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'm not "looking" as much as I am entertaining the thought of a second option outside of "kicking".

Since I've never owned a float tube I don't know if I'm gonna hate kicking around all day or if it's not that big of a deal. I probably won't be out in the open ocean with it ever, outside of maybe kicking out to the canyon in RB and dropping anchor to do some deep dives from time to time.

Do you guys have a problem kicking around all day and then back to the launch point? Just not sure what to expect ya know.

32pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:26 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I have never had problems getting back to my launch site, I have been tired at the end but alway make it back. However there have been a few times do to wind and currents or just wealther conditions that I don't travel far from my launch site.
This is just playing it safe of course all was play it safe not sorry. Sad

33pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:58 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well me and the bass geek did a 7and a half hour session on our way back we kick for about 1 1/2-2 hours back to our lauch the wind and current pick up on our way back it was about 1 mile long from point of return i was tired but james was hang over and hungry and dehydrated i felt bad for him but he was smart and ask for some water from a girl on a boat she was kind and gave him some water i was hungry but i didnt mind that i was going to take my scooter but james said we are not going far so i left it big mistake on that one really could have use it it would have towed us out of there with no problem so if you want to try a tube out i got a few tube and if you want to try one but pm me so we can set something up dont want anyone to send money on something they are dont sure of believe i have 3 tube and onlt tube about 8 or 9 times but i fell safe and that is what makes it fun and i aways go with someone

34pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:45 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Good jon there Ed give him a chance to take a test right, Ed is the FTFF member of the year boys. king

35pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:07 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

No just trying to be nice and i was once a new guy too and everyone i meet helped me out here on this forum and i am just trying to return the help too plus i am still learn and i know if i run accross something that i need help with i know i can ask here and 99.9% someone will help out and so far its been a 100 %
thanks to everyone here i have a new sport that i am greatful for i have such a blast and at the same time i fell so relaxed and then a rush and then back to relaxing it sound funny but it true cant wait to do it again
ed Thumbs Up

36pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:13 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Serious bro that is great to offer like you are, I have done the same and those that tried it had a great time. Other than the one fin that was lost they had a great time Embarassed
Lets see if he catches this post lol!

37pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:25 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

jeffcpr wrote:Serious bro that is great to offer like you are, I have done the same and those that tried it had a great time. Other than the one fin that was lost they had a great time Embarassed
Lets see if he catches this post lol!

we will see what happens lol
and thanks

38pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:20 am

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Wow thanks for the offer I may take you up on it. I have read a couple of horror stories about not being able to get back to the launch point after a long day, but I have also read that oars just get in the way if you want to add rod holders and a GPS and they almost never get used. I'm leaning toward a basic tube without oars and maybe just getting a scooter in case I ever decide to go somewhere and want to move around a lot. Plus a scooter would be nice to have for other things.

39pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:02 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

well just let me know i have 2 different types of tubes Thumbs Up

40pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:17 am

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

man, now you guys have me searching for scooters to buy tongue

as far as the float motor, i do believe registration is needed. the dmv would assign your float tube a hull id.

pvc is definitely like legos. i built an entire set for a play using pvc. so as far as oars on a float tube, i'll admit i'm probably more into this project than anyone else. i've figured out the proper oar length and i've figured out the ideal positioning of the oar locks for someone my size (5'7") while still having room for three rear rod holders, one side rode holder, a camera mount, and a spot for my fishin buddy. the oars would just rest on oar straps or a hook when not in use. the design i think i have down, or at least the idea. next is cost. if i bought all the parts (oars, oar stops, oar locks, sockets, and mounts) to go along with the pvc i'd have to build, i'd spend close to $130. these are all pre-made parts. my goal is to improvise and build whatever parts i can. i'll only build if i can drive the cost down to %60 for all the mods i mentioned. so if i can get all this done, i'll make a post with the cost, time, and how the thing tests out on water.

btw, the reason i'm so obsessive about adding oars is even though i'm supposedly a young buck at 25, i have foot problems and an arthritic knee. i prefer having a second option to kicking, but i dont need it since my job requires pushing huge hospital beds with heavy pts around and i do fine. plus, who doesn't like building stuff with pvc?

41pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:09 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

cool cant wait to see and there is this place called AJs Wholesale the have pvc and fitting for cheap less that home depotand lowes off the 91 and paramount blvd in paramount

42pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:14 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I found a post where I guy built a nice frame to hold oars out of pvc and he posted everything step by step. He did it on a fish cat 4 and it looked great. Since i'm over 40 and not a young buck a second option is almost a must for me. Both knees have on / off problems. I love the outcast prowler because of the extra storage and it's big enough to hold me at 220 without any problems.

I would like to do oars, but I can't build / make anything to save my life so the scooter is a quick and easy solution for me. I even noticed you can buy a spare battery for it and just pop it in for a quick and easy solution!

43pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:17 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

LGHT, if you need help building I will help and I know there are others here that will do the same. Some that are much better than me at building, you just want and see what happens when you say I cannot do that, there is someone that can you will see.
Shocked

44pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:44 pm

LGHT

LGHT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks for the offer, but if there is an easier faster option (scooter) I've learned many times over (via trial and error) to just take that route! Now if said project was a computer that would be right up my ally!

45pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:18 pm

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

i am looking into a rear view mirror lol i almost ran it o 4 boats last weekend lol

also i can help build stuff too me and a couple of other guys got together and worked on our tube and canoe it was cool to hang out and see everyone helping each other

46pontoons Vs float tubs??? - Page 2 Empty Re: pontoons Vs float tubs??? Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:21 am

huyeed

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

always down to build, but i like the scooter idea. hope i find a cheap one.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum