FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Yesterday at 3:04 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:39 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:23 pm

» Some good growth.
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Thu May 16, 2024 9:16 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

San Vicente Reservoir 9-22 opener & 9-24 report

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Mr. Constrictor

Mr. Constrictor
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I was fortunate enough to score a spot on my friends ticket to float tube San Vicente Reservoir for the opener on Thursday.  With all the hype we initially had plans to camp out in line the night before to get a good spot in line and get on the water early.  As the days drew closer we had a group discussion and decided that it would be better for us to rest good the night before and just meet up at 6a.m. the morning of and load up our gear then head to the lake with a late start.  After getting our gear and supplies loaded up we headed to the lake and got in line.

We arrived to the lake around 7 and waited for our flight to be let in.  Probably waited between 20-30 minutes until we were released to drive up the hill to the lake.  The cloud cover was still thick from the storm that had came through and dumped rain the past couple of days.  Pretty much as soon as we were in the water we started catching.  The bite was consistent all day long.  People were catching bass everywhere and everyone was having a good time pulling on bass with an average weight of 4lbs.  I think any lure that you wanted to catch fish on would work if you dedicated a little bit of time to it.  

Baits?  I started off with 13" texas rigged worms and was getting them good.  I switched to heavy jigs to get down faster because the volume of fish seemed to be concentrated in the 40'-70' range.  Also got into some ripper deep diving crankbait bites where i was hooking up on every cast.  With the fish being so deep it's a good idea to have a fizzing needle or a descending device to avoid floaters.  I was using a descending device because I hate needles lol.

The total number of bass caught by me was somewhere between 50-60.  I was taking pics for the trial series but would have flurries where all I wanted to do was keep catching so I got tired of taking pics.  It's hard to stop throwing the deep diver when you find a wolf pack that hits the crank on every cast.  I think everyone in my crew had about the same numbers.  When fishing is like that it's hard to count every fish caught.

All in all it was an epic day that I will never forget and one for the history books.

Saturday 9-24 was a different story.  We arrived to the lake around the same time with not a cloud in sight.  We launched and decided to take a different route this time.  We started fishing and kicking around the lake but the bite just wasn't like it was 2 days earlier.  Some people were getting them but I struggled for a while to get a bite.  I think the combination of the newly introduced boat traffic, fishing pressure, and also the high pressure system moving in had a lot to do with it.  I believe the weather was the main factor personally.

Around late morning I finally started to develop a pattern that was getting me bit consistently.  Still it was nothing like 2 days earlier.  The key for me was more of a super slow stitch with plastics.  Ended with about 20-25 fish but only photod 14 lol.

Overall it was a great couple of days of fishing with good people.

My friend Joe who fished with us made a Vlog for opening day so I'll attach the link.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Thanks for the report Mr. Constritor,

I was really hoping you could deliver a few reports after the contest.
You were fishing deeper than I like to, so maybe a few changes are in order for myself.
40 plus fish day!! Really congratulations on that.

Thanks for sharing.

Mr. Constrictor

Mr. Constrictor
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Jerdon wrote:Thanks for the report Mr. Constritor,

I was really hoping you could deliver a few reports after the contest.
You were fishing deeper than I like to, so maybe a few changes are in order for myself.
40 plus fish day!!  Really congratulations on that.

Thanks for sharing.

If you're going out there definitely plan on fishing deep. There are some fish in the shallows but with the water so clear the majority of the fish are deep. Personally I wouldn't fish anything less than 15# test for bass because of all of the submerged brush and trees in the water from the lake being raised. Also don't forget a fizz in needle are some type of descending device.

david886720

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

thank you for the report Mr. Constrictor. I had heard so much about the opening of San Vicente I was curious. Thanks for sharing. Opening day sounds like one for the history books

SP Dan

SP Dan

Those numbers are just insane!!! Congrat's on your extremely successful session! Thumbs Up

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum