FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

PFD DISCUSSION

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1PFD DISCUSSION Empty PFD DISCUSSION Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:09 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Here is my position on the subject. I have always talked safety first and always. I agree tubes have come a long way and hold up great. But there is always the unknown. Now my point is for always promoting safety first. I don't want anything bad to ever happen to anyone.
But newbies take our advice good or bad and believe in it.
Now if something does happen to them because of what they read here it can become my responsibility. Might be a long shot but it could come back to bite me. I agree it is a personal choice, but it is OUR position to always promote safety to all and that includes PFD's.
I hope this all makes sense guys , just wanted to lay this out.

Last edited by jeffcpr on Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2PFD DISCUSSION Empty Re: PFD DISCUSSION Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:13 am

jeffcpr wrote:Here is my position on the subject.  I have always  talked safety first and always.  I agree tubes have come a long way and hold  up great.   But there is always the unknown.  Now my point IS for always promoting safety first.  I don't  want anything bad to ever happen to anyone.  But newbies take our advice good or bad and beleive in it.  
Now if something does happen to them because of what they read here it can become my responsibility.   Might be a long shot but it could come back to bite me.  I agree it is a personal choice, but it is OUR position to always promote safety to all and that includes PFD's.
I hope this all makes sense guys , just wanted to lay this out.

Agreed.   ( Spell check by Poboy)

3PFD DISCUSSION Empty Re: PFD DISCUSSION Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:40 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Thanks it is tough typing on your phone at midnight with out your glasses, man I am getting old.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4PFD DISCUSSION Empty Re: PFD DISCUSSION Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:06 am

jeffcpr wrote:Thanks it is tough typing on your phone at midnight with out your glasses, man I am getting old.

I used my readers!!! Nothing I can do about the phone or age.....I keep getting older, and this phone is my only link to the evil WW spider web.

So I can only sympathize. ( and use my readers....not sure I could pee without those...) What happens when 3.25 doesn't work anymore? Do they go from 3.25 to "Stevie Wonder"?

5PFD DISCUSSION Empty Re: PFD DISCUSSION Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:47 am

volcomsurfrider

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

PFD's are a must in any vessel used. Especially in our float tubes. No matter how advanced and safe our tubes have become, carrying a PFD on board does not cause any inconvenience. You can even drape your PFD on the seat back and use it as a back cushion if applicable. We deal with elements on the water all day long and use baits with extremely sharp hooks! If a fish was to throw a bait near our tubes, the chance of it puncturing our tube is very real. When you have waders on and your mess of fishing gear, it's a frantic situation. I actually had this happen in NPH years back in my Caddis. I was actually able to kick to a private dock. I always carry a PFD on board any vessel. Another reason to have a PFD when float tubing is you really don't want the hassle dealing with the Coast Guard or Port Police trying to explain why a float tube does not require a PFD. They will ticket you most likely. New tubers can pick up one of those orange PFD's for like $10 or you can get a more advanced PFD like the self inflating C02 PFD's. Regardless, carry a PFD when you tube!

6PFD DISCUSSION Empty Re: PFD DISCUSSION Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Agreed. I've never been on my tube without a PFD.

I'm an excellent swimmer and very comfortable in the water, but the unexpected happens and I just think about how some idiot on a Jet-ski almost ran me over once. The quality of my gear or my ability to swim well wouldn't have mattered. If you get injured on the water, all bets are off and a PFD could easily be the difference between life and death.

Over all, I think float tubing is a very safe sport, but the biggest part of that safety will always be me, acting in a safe way, and having a PFD is part of that.

The PFD regulations are there because thousands of boaters have drowned. In 2014 alone, 16 people on inflatables drowned - I'm going to do everything I can to avoid being one of those statistics.

As far being classified as a "water craft" by the Coast Guard, I'm glad for it. Otherwise, we would be "swimmers' and lots of places that allow water craft, don't allow swimmers. That may not be relevant where you live, but for those of us on the West Coast, not being classified as a swimmer is a good thing, even if it means they force us to be safe Smile

7PFD DISCUSSION Empty Re: PFD DISCUSSION Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:54 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'm in on the PDF. I use a vest type, CGA, and ya it sometimes is bulky. But on cold days it adds a extra layer. Also I want to be able to save some of my gear, can't if I have to try and stay above water. Second I consider myself a swimmer, but in cold water it can be a hassle to stay afloat. I also have one of those light gadgets Jeff gave out, can't remember the product name, memory is going, but at night if u need to be seen............ya sounds corny, but safety is paramount if u want to fish another day........GT

8PFD DISCUSSION Empty Re: PFD DISCUSSION Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:47 pm

As I said, In my over 40years of tubing, I've NEVER worn a PFD.

Does that make it smart or safe? DUH!!! NO !!!! I'm just trowing out there, that even WITHOUT a PFD, and from back in the day when tubes only had ONE TRUCK TUBE to keep them afloat....we survived.

As a matter of fact, I'VE NEVER EVER EVER heard of a tubing fatality . But by all means, wear a PFD...it's really just stupid not to. But also, remember this, when you venture out in winter, far from shore, a PFD is just false security, you CAN DIE!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum