FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Today at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Today at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Today at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Today at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach

+5
SP Dan
Jerdon
jeffcpr
GT
Ornery Bob
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 09, 2017 7:12 am

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Not exactly a comforting video. I can't say I've been to that exact spot, but the fact that these sharks are this close to shore is a bit worrying. I was planning to hit up Island White pretty soon, but this has me second guessing. I had always believed these guys passed by on the deep water side of the LB breakwater.

2Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 09, 2017 8:50 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'm glad to see them here, maybe we can get a balance in the seal population...........GT

3Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 09, 2017 9:40 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I saw this as well thanks for sharing, we should all be careful. I don't think we are in much danger inside the harbors but outside is a whole different issue.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

4Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 09, 2017 11:06 am

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

This year the GW's are everywhere. 
I do not remember a time, or reading of a time, when there were this many sightings and bites in Southern California. I remember a time not long ago when we could fish them and we were all safer.

5Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 09, 2017 12:13 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

We already realize that our inner harbors are simply nurseries for most of our coastal pelagic species.
Hence ... our harbors are a feeding ground for a large variety of those pelagic juveniles.

I see that I will need to start sporting a harpoon in my rod rack! Ha ha ha! Just joking. lol
They say that there's nothing to fear ... but fear it's self! And I completely agree with this ol' saying.

Don't be frightening your selves people.

So we can either choose to continue to fish FW and SW or only FW or you can sell all your equipment and take up pottery, because you can't do anything to change what has always been!

Bottom line is .... we have choose to kick our way into their world to get them to bite and to land them knowing that there could always be an element of danger.

To date: As of recent, I have practically rode a whale bareback in 15-ft of water and have been lifted up from the water from a gang of Harbor Seals and yet I still keep coming back, time and time again! I say .... bring it on!!

I look at these encounters as a once-in-a-life-time blessing from Him!

Ooh Rah!!

SP Dan     <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

6Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

This isn't about fear as far as I'm concerned. This is simply staying informed about changing conditions. Since I actually tube in that area, I choose to stay informed. I think being aware of what's going on in the water where you tube is just common sense.

The fact of the matter is that sightings and attacks are on the upswing and it's due to changes in water temperatures and population dynamics. Large Great Whites in close like this really is something new... at least if you believe the guys who study them for a living.

"Chris Lowe, director of the Shark Lab at Cal State Long Beach, has been studying the recent shift in great white behavior in Southern California. He and others have seen groups of great whites hanging out close to shore in areas he describes as “hot spots” in places like Santa Monica, Hermosa and Manhattan Beach, Surfside in Seal Beach, San Onofre and, most recently, Long Beach near Alamitos Bay.
“We should be worried, to an extent,” Lowe said. “But we should also be encouraged.”
The part that’s unknown, Lowe said, is the extent to which global climate change is affecting marine animals in and near Southern California.
“Ocean temperatures are rising, causing them to live in places they’ve never lived before,” he said. “Populations are coming back. And ocean conditions may be pushing them to new places.
“There are a lot of unknowns,” Lowe said. “That’s the scary part.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] The article avoids sensationalism and lays it all out pretty clearly. They had a similar situation in Australia and it didn't pan out well for humans in the long run. Be informed, or not; it's up to you.

7Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 09, 2017 8:50 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Thanx for the spooky facts OB,

So my question is ... do we fish in the harbors knowing what we know about sharks?

I for one am going to continue to enjoy my fishing sessions regardless of your articles and I hope that many others; including yourself, will follow my lead!

Here we are trying to build up our ranks for more FTFF members and you print this stuff.
Well ... this could be perceived as a step backward for many people that may have been considering
salt water tubing for the very first time.

SP Dan     <"))><

8Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 09, 2017 9:33 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Well guys I think we are all on the same page. There is a need to put info out there for people to be aware and know what is going on. But at the same time it is still safe for us to tube the Harbor. I see the point that we don't want to scare people out of the water but still we do want to keep people informed. I for one once did skipped an outing in Newport once because of shark sightings near the Coast Guard Station the day before a launch. Now I can see even though there was shark sited in the area, odds were still on my side and I might still have gone.
Again I do believe information of this sort is important but there should be some care to make sure we don't scare others. I know guys this is kind of a walk the line answer but safety and fun are our goals, we can not have fun with out being some what same and we should always think safety so people can continue to have fun.

9Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 09, 2017 9:36 pm

joshyouwa.r

joshyouwa.r
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Truth is I'd rather die doing something I love than watching from the sidelines. Plus think about the sponsors you could get if you actually encounter one haha

10Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 09, 2017 9:49 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

That is true I survived a shark attack thanks to my Cumberland float tube lol!

11Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

“The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore”
 .....Vincent van Gogh

12Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Wed May 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Ornery Bob

Ornery Bob

Here we are trying to build up our ranks for more FTFF members and you print this stuff.

YouTube is amazing. In the last 28 days I've told 2,586 people about this forum and this sport. I'm not ashamed of how well I'm doing at either one of those things.

13Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Thu May 11, 2017 4:42 pm

singletrack

singletrack
Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

I echo SPDan. I for one will be in LAB Saturday and Sunday. There are big animals in the water all the time. Its an ocean. There is nothing you can do about shark attacks they happen and they are rare. So do what you want but its just a risk. I use to hike, bike and fish in colorado a lot and there are bears, rattle snakes, and mountain lions. That is more then just a Shark. Never had a problem and I have seen bears in the wild half dozen times so times very close. Even more times for rattle snakes. With that said if I see a shark this weekend I will back away slowly and probably get out of the water. Also I like the one comedian quote "I not scared of a shark.... On land". You are in there world it is the great outdoors for a reason.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPxZQaZknKgs79MOETz5frQ

14Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Thu May 11, 2017 9:30 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Hey singletrack,

Thanx for sharing your actual close to danger experiences with all of us ... phew! ... is all that I can say to all those encounters!

"I'm glade that you survived all that stuff; while still having fun, just to fish another day!" .... by SP Dan     <"))><  lol

Pssssssst! Don't tell singletrack that I told you this! SHhhhhhh!

His BIG fishing secrete is .......................................

*he changes his baits more frequently than I like to. That's it!  lol!  SHhhhh!

15Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Thu May 11, 2017 9:49 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

"YouTube is amazing. In the last 28 days I've told 2,586 people about this forum and this sport. I'm not ashamed of how well I'm doing at either one of those things."

Congratulations on all of your success Bob and please allow me to be one of the first members on FTFF to say thanx for getting the word out
about yourself, your passion for float tube fishing and for letting so many people know thru you about the FTFF site ... where anglers can meet
and share their experiences or ask questions in a friendly forum atmosphere.

You have definitely reached a lot of people. WTG!

Thank you Bob Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

16Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Thu May 11, 2017 10:44 pm

Getbent.sportfishing

FTFF Gathering Officer

I think it'll be pretty rare to see the great whites inside the harbor. They're probably here because of our sea lion and seal overpopulation. I heard of only one attack this year and I was told that a seal or sea lion (not sure which) bolted right past the woman onto the beach and the shark hit her instead. I guess if you see one just don't panic and try not to look like a seal. Very Happy

17Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Thu May 11, 2017 10:48 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ya I really think the Harbors are safe, I was told once when I first started fishing the harbor and bays don't worry about the sharks they have already seen you. I really think if I actually saw a Great White while float tubing, I would be a quick easy meal for them as I would have died of a heart attack before the attack. affraid just saying.

18Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Thu May 11, 2017 11:30 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Well ... I see this as an opportunity to push ...  Force Fins.

I've got a set and I like them!
It allows this ol' guy to keep up with the youngsters without much fatigue!

SP Dan     <"))><

19Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Fri May 12, 2017 7:12 am

I tube that spot its a nursery for small threshers but the halibut spawn there i had my best day halibut fishing there

20Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Fri May 12, 2017 7:15 am

21Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 16, 2017 1:26 am

Komori Jeff

Komori Jeff
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I'm going to paint bright yellow polka dots all over my fins! I don't know of any seal or sea lions with those markings!

22Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Empty Re: Great Whites at Los Alamitos Beach Tue May 16, 2017 8:22 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I happened to stumble upon a special on Nat Geo about great whites, ie sharks......they love sting rays. That's one of the reasons there in close in the sandy bays and beaches....I say eat away.....I have stepped on one but I was lucky not to be barbed....GT

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum