FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Things are looking better!
by kin Today at 1:43 pm

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment
by Dannicus Today at 9:55 am

» This Might Be The Best Budget Hybrid! First voyage update.
by Dannicus Today at 9:54 am

» OK I wrote a book
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:48 am

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by SP Dan Yesterday at 7:28 am

» 10 minutes before dark
by SP Dan Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:06 pm

» After lunch time break from studying (40 min session)
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:41 pm

» A “new species” from somebody’s fish tank I presume!
by SP Dan Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:20 pm

» The answer
by SP Dan Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 pm

» Took a one mile trek
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:11 pm

» The Cap is producing quality bass!
by SP Dan Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:28 pm

» Walked off my breakfast and I landed a few plus some bonus gear found
by SP Dan Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:29 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by SP Dan in Here BIG kitty kitty
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Murray report 3/28
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by jmytuna in Landing nets I am looking at
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another Mod To My Cumberland

+8
Litefoot
mthaubs
kobra
GT
Hunt
jeffcpr
Jerdon
SP Dan
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

11 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Another Mod To My Cumberland Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:51 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

After quite a few discussions; with fellow Float Tubers, about the PROs and CONs of each FT, I put on my thinking cap.

One of the primary concerns that I have with the Cumberland is the exposed stitching on the end-caps of each bladder.
I've gone so as far as to have the end-caps professionally sewn ... not a good enough fix tho!

So ... AS-SEEN-ON-TV

I purchased (2) two spray cans of Flex Seal.
I masked off the end-caps to approx 1" below the largest circular stitched fabric ring.

I applied the rubber spray in two coats.
My goal was to protect the end-cap fabric and their stitching.

1) I first inflated my float tube a bit fuller than I would normally.
2) I cleaned all of the area to be coated with isopropyl alcohol.
3) Masked the area off real well.
4) I did this in a well ventilated area but out of the wind.
5) I followed the MFGR's application directions.
6) Removed the masking immediately before it began to dry.
7) I left the tube inflated over night to mold the rubber.
8 ) I waited a day
9) Repeated steps [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] thru 8 after 24-hours.

Please let me know what you think about my original idea.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm planning on doing my screened bow netting next. It's just another flaw in the Cumberland in my books.

I hope to see ya'll out on the water!

Tight lines,

SP Dan    <"))><

Last edited by SP Dan on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

West Coast Surf Fishing likes this post

21 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:08 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Dan I like it!! A really great idea.
Of course we have to see a longevity test to really know. 
How did it seem after your first water test?
And how about a few shots of your clear spine shields?

Thanks for sharing this.

31 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:14 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

I thought that was the plan buddy, i am sure it will work out great. Keep us informed on how it all works oit.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

41 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:15 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Jerdon wrote:Dan I like it!! A really great idea.

Thanks for sharing this.

Hey Jerdon,

Of course ... I'm still in the testing period.
Jerdon ... what would you like to see or recommend as a ... longevity test period?

I went out for (4) four sessions this past weekend and it appears to be holding up so far.
I couldn't find any physical or visible signs of cracking, peeling or separation.  Thumbs Up

Remember that this was applied to my old worn-out; repaired, float tube in order to prolong the usage of the FT.
If this application can hold-up thru all of my rigorous launches then I'll do this on my new; still in box, Cumberland before using it for the first time.

Also remember that this is just a thin rubber coating to protect the fabric and the stitching on the end-caps.
This wont protect the FT from the sharp spins of the fish but it should protect from my normal abrasive usage over the long haul ... I hope.
And besides ... I'm not easy on my FT's.

Jerdon ..... "How did it seem after your first water test?"
Well ... I couldn't find any thing wrong or out of the ordinary with the thin rubber coating. It held up.  Thumbs Up
Also, I didn't notice any noticeable difference in the weight of the FT it's self.

I believe that I'm sold on it ... or until something better comes my way ... or AS-SEEN-ON-TV!  Cool  lol

Last edited by SP Dan on Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total

51 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:25 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

jeffcpr wrote:I thought that was the plan buddy, i am sure it will work out great.  Keep us informed on how it all works oit.

Of course I will buddy ... I'm still in the testing period.

I went out for (4) four sessions this past weekend and it appears to be holding up.
I couldn't find any physical or visible signs of cracking, peeling or separation in the application.  

So far ... so good.
Cool

61 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:33 am

Hunt

Hunt
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Nifty, out of the box thinking. If it holds up it will be a nice mod.

http://www.integrity-traders.com

71 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:19 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Hunt wrote:Nifty, out of the box thinking. If it holds up it will be a nice mod.

My fingers are crossed! Cool

81 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:33 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great mod Dan.........hell he virtually made a boat out of the stuff. Too bad they don't have the stuff in colors......... If its a latex product you will need to monitor it more closely in the cold winter months. Just my two cents........GT

91 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:37 am

Hunt

Hunt
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

No cutting tubes in half please.

http://www.integrity-traders.com

101 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:42 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Here's a few more pic's

No float tubes were harmed during this procedure. I promise! Thumbs Up

111 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:33 pm

kobra

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Looks really nice Dan. You did a good job. I hope it holds up.

121 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:28 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

kobra wrote:Looks really nice Dan. You did a good job. I hope it holds up.

I'm currently running her thru the "time will tell" test.

Four sessions and holding.

131 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:52 pm

mthaubs

mthaubs
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

They also make a paint on sold at home Depot.

141 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:54 pm

Litefoot

Litefoot
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Nice work Dan you should have stuff a couple lights on it when it was wet. cheers

151 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Ha ha ha! I like your thinking! Thumbs Up

I'm still using the Velcro attachments and they are still going strong.
In fact ... I used the lights this past weekend during my predawn launch at LAB.

Take care Rick and God bless,

Dan

161 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:18 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

mthaubs wrote:They also make a paint on sold at home Depot.

Hi ya mthaubs,

The truth be told .... I actually became impatient while waiting for the Flex Seal to arrive from the east coast.

So ..... I went to my neighborhood Home Depot and purchased a can of the spray rubber by Rust-Oleum.
My friend and I did a test spot on the FT and my friend and I didn't really care for it so much.
So I ended up using the Flex-Seal in the end(s).

Thank you very much for helping out with your positive suggestion!  Thumbs Up
Perhaps ... someone else; out there, will try it and like it at only $9 per can.

Tight lines

Dan

171 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:00 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I'll be testing it with a dock launch this coming weekend during a draining tide.

I'll let ya'll know how it held up.  Thumbs Up

SP Dan     <"))><

181 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:43 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

SP Dan wrote:
mthaubs wrote:They also make a paint on sold at home Depot.

Hi ya mthaubs,

The truth be told .... I actually became impatient while waiting for the Flex Seal to arrive from the east coast.

So ..... I went to my neighborhood Home Depot and purchased a can of the spray rubber by Rust-Oleum.
My friend and I did a test spot on the FT and my friend and I didn't really care for it so much.
So I ended up using the Flex-Seal in the end(s).

Thank you very much for helping out with your positive suggestion!  Thumbs Up
Perhaps ... someone else; out there, will try it and like it at only $9 per can.

Tight lines

Dan

Can you tell me what it was that you did not like about the Rust-Oleum product?

191 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:07 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

My friend pointed out that it had tiny air bubbles.

201 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:16 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

SP Dan wrote:My friend pointed out that it had tiny air bubbles.
Was that "literally" the only difference?

I was expecting the Rust-Oleum to be thinner or flaking off. Something along those lines.

211 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:16 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

WARNING!!!!!!!

The Flex Seal rubber spray looked nice when it dried but the first rough launching, the rubber along the masked edges separated with ease as though it lacked adhesion.

The Flex Seal did not marry with the Cumberland fabric.

DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME!!!

Disappointed.

Back to the drawing table! Thumbs Up

SP Dan <"))><

221 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Thanks for testing this out live and sharing with us.

Good info

231 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:35 am

Flyfisher70

Flyfisher70
FTFF Gathering Officer

SP Dan wrote:WARNING!!!!!!!

The Flex Seal rubber spray looked nice when it dried but the first rough launching, the rubber along the masked edges separated with ease as though it lacked adhesion.

Disappointed.

SP Dan     <"))><

Thanks for the info and the test results Dan.

I have had Plasidip sprayed on my truck bumper for years and it has head up incredibly well even after lots of washes and scrubbing. Have some slight pitting in spots where larger rocks or other hwy debris have been launched at it at high speeds.

BTW, the K-pump worked out great!

241 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:11 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Flyfisher70 wrote:
SP Dan wrote:WARNING!!!!!!!

Disappointed.

SP Dan     <"))><

Thanks for the info and the test results Dan.

I have had Plasidip sprayed on my truck bumper for years and it has head up incredibly well even after lots of washes and scrubbing. Have some slight pitting in spots where larger rocks or other hwy debris have been launched at it at high speeds.

BTW, the K-pump worked out great!        

Hey Benny,

I hope that you had a 4th of July celebration to remember.

That's good news to hear that you are pleased with the K-pump. That makes me happy indeed!

Have you been out fishing much lately?

I'm still investigating products that will add protection to the fabric and it's stitching and remain flexible after it's application has dried. Nothing located as of yet. I've been spending much of my time fishing, in the on going fishing tournament.

SP Dan <"))><

251 - Another Mod To My Cumberland Empty Re: Another Mod To My Cumberland Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:40 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Jerdon wrote:Dan I like it!! A really great idea.

Thanks for sharing this.

Many months later and fully field tested,

This is the original Cumberland that was falling apart, nick-named "Frankenstein" due to being sewn back together so many times.
Well Jerdon ... here she is.
The threads are still holding up and the Flex-Seal continues to protect the ends of the FT bladder skins.

I'm pleased with it's protecting properties so far.

Since then, I have coated the ends of the Cumberland warrantied replacement FT bladder skins as well with the Flex-Seal.
That's the only sensible end-cap fix that I can come up with, for their construction flaw of the Cumberland.

Note: The sprayed on rubber actually married quite well to the fabric of the Cumberland.

The longevity test continues.

SP Dan     <"))><

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum