FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Possible live well
by jeffcpr Today at 8:05 am

» Let all of us remember the fallen this weekend!
by Jerdon Sun May 26, 2024 7:57 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay June 8th
by jeffcpr Sun May 26, 2024 1:39 pm

» Classic Accessories Still Selling
by BigMaxFloats Sun May 26, 2024 11:19 am

» Looking to do some hats
by BigMaxFloats Sun May 26, 2024 11:10 am

» Some good growth.
by Jerdon Mon May 20, 2024 12:47 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Mon May 20, 2024 9:25 am

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:31 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:23 pm

» What the Heck is going on here?
by SP Dan Sat May 18, 2024 1:15 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sat May 18, 2024 8:13 am

» Scadden Slash Float Tube
by jeffcpr Fri May 17, 2024 11:54 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Let all of us remember the fallen this weekend!
( 3 )

» Post by jeffcpr in What the Heck is going on here?
( 2 )

» Post by jeffcpr in Classic Accessories Still Selling
( 2 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

My thoughts on the best tube

+2
SP Dan
jeffcpr
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26My thoughts on the best tube - Page 2 Empty Re: My thoughts on the best tube Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:17 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

I think that I should buy the same; Cumberland, float tube after the person who has been catching the most and the largest fish lately. Ha ha ha!!!!!

In truth, purchase the best quality FT that you can afford.
I paid much less than the others and I catch much more than the others.
It’s just a matter of ... “how-you-want-to-look” getting there ... in a Land Rover or in a Maserati!!!

No matter what you decide on as your final FT pick,
I guarantee ...  that you will catch fish on it!!!

SP Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

27My thoughts on the best tube - Page 2 Empty Re: My thoughts on the best tube Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:13 am

HNTFSH

HNTFSH
FTFF Gathering Officer

That was a nice little review of tubes. I'm pretty boring it appears after reading some posts about tubes here and all the gizmo's deployed.  Shocked

I started in the late 70's with a round tube from the Cabelas catalog.  I "think" it was made by Caddis and was light brown on a 16" truck tube.  One storage pocket.  At that time didn't have waders and used the heel flippers.

Since then have been through several Buck Bags, Caddis and one Bighorn utube I bought in camo for early season duck hunting.  None of the tubes ever needed replaced I just retired them as I got suspicious of stitching.  

While I have tried a u-boat I cannot stand "air bladders".  Cheap bladders made in China with suspect glue.  No thanks!  I also found they sagged too much for me.

So really last 30 of 40 years have been a 20" truck tube in a round belly boat.  Floats high, inner tube is tough, takes more air.  I can overfill when waters cold and it settles out perfectly.  I do own fins but have not used those much as while heel flippers are SLOW, I like fishing forward and pin point casting.  Going backwards and spinning around to a target is a PIA.

Lastly - I'm not fishing saltwater like some here are (which sounds fun) so the ability to throw a tube over my shoulder and get to good water IS the reason I tube fish.

My idea of float tubing has always been to get on water most others can't or are unfishable from shore. I see guys in fancy kayaks and multiple rods but they're always just fishing spots that have a parking lot.        

Success in simplicity is part of my gig.

Last edited by HNTFSH on Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:17 am; edited 2 times in total

SP Dan likes this post

28My thoughts on the best tube - Page 2 Empty Re: My thoughts on the best tube Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:35 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Well said!!!!! 👍

29My thoughts on the best tube - Page 2 Empty Re: My thoughts on the best tube Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:10 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

HNTFSH wrote:That was a nice little review of tubes. I'm pretty boring it appears after reading some posts about tubes here and all the gizmo's deployed.  Shocked

I started in the late 70's with a round tube from the Cabelas catalog.  I "think" it was made by Caddis and was light brown on a 16" truck tube.  One storage pocket.  At that time didn't have waders and used the heel flippers.

Since then have been through several Buck Bags, Caddis and one Bighorn utube I bought in camo for early season duck hunting.  None of the tubes ever needed replaced I just retired them as I got suspicious of stitching.  

While I have tried a u-boat I cannot stand "air bladders".  Cheap bladders made in China with suspect glue.  No thanks!  I also found they sagged too much for me.

So really last 30 of 40 years have been a 20" truck tube in a round belly boat.  Floats high, inner tube is tough, takes more air.  I can overfill when waters cold and it settles out perfectly.  I do own fins but have not used those much as while heel flippers are SLOW, I like fishing forward and pin point casting.  Going backwards and spinning around to a target is a PIA.

Lastly - I'm not fishing saltwater like some here are (which sounds fun) so the ability to throw a tube over my shoulder and get to good water IS the reason I tube fish.

My idea of float tubing has always been to get on water most others can't or are unfishable from shore. I see guys in fancy kayaks and multiple rods but they're always just fishing spots that have a parking lot.        

Success in simplicity is part of my gig.

Very well said HTNFSH, my time in the basic original float tubes did there job and did them well. I will say that the tire inner tube is a great long lasting bladder. The light weight and mobile ability of the float tube is the major draw for most. It's just nice to see more options now.
If all works out well I will have 2 new reviews coming soon. These 2 new boats are not new on the market but will be new to me. They will also be on opposite ends of the spectrum. I should be reviewing the CAPERLAN FLTB-5 and Fins and the Gigbob 2.0 as well. Fingers crossed they will be here before the end of March.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

30My thoughts on the best tube - Page 2 Empty Re: My thoughts on the best tube Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:26 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Ok so I have 3 more to add to my list of My thoughts on the best Tube.
I will add the Gigbob 2.0, the FLTB-5 and the Float Plus 1. Stay tuned.

31My thoughts on the best tube - Page 2 Empty Re: My thoughts on the best tube Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:42 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So over the years I have been fortune enough to have the opportunity to test out and ride many different tubes.
1. Bucks Bags Cutthroat
2. Browning U boat
3. Trout unlimited - Gallatin and Kennebec
4. Creek Company - Uboat 2000 and ODC 420
5. Classic Accessories - Bighorn, Teton, Togiak, and Cumberland
6. Caddis - Pro 2000
7. Seven Bass - Flatform, One, Element, Explorer, and Expedition
8. Maxxon XPW 240 and 239
9. Most recently the Bucks Bags Roughneck.
10. Gigbob 2.0 - from NRS
11. FLTB-5 - by Caperlan
12. Float Plus 1 - by Float Plus

I have been luck to have these opportunities and I wanted to share with you all what I liked and disliked about these tubes over the past that I have tried and fished. Stay tuned more to come.

So we all know I will be using a scale of 1 to 10 to rate each tube. 1 being the best and 10 not the best (I do not want to say worst because they all have there place Thumbs Up )
This is my scale and my opinion on each tube I do not mean to offend any one or any company it simple my experience.

This is a continuation of my original post and I will start with the Gigbob 2.0 from NRS. I will also rearrange my final list of top tube to not so top tubes as well.

Posts are coming.

32My thoughts on the best tube - Page 2 Empty Re: My thoughts on the best tube Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:39 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So here are my thoughts on Gigbob 2.0 by NRS.  This arrived to me during the lockdown of the Gigbob 2.0 for those that don’t know it is in the category of frameless pontoon.  This is a very unique inflatable and I have to say I really have enjoyed it for the last year plus.   First thing this boat came in a very large top quality backpack that I am now using for other tubes.  The pump that comes with the NRS Super 2HP Pump is just incredible.  It has multiple attachments, pressure gauge,  as well as 2 fill settings Max output and High Volume Mode.  But we are not here for the pump, what about the boat.

The Gigbob 2.0 is two inflatables in one.  The top platform is a flat tube that is lightweight and roomy.  It sits low in the water but is very nibble on the water.  It also has its 2 pontoons that are attachable and raise the boat about 8” off the water.  This gives you a much higher fishing platform and the pontoons really act as shock absorbers on the water when those small waves from other boats roll in.  Adding the Pontoons does make for a slower kick but it still is a very nibble inflatable in the water.  Overall the boat is heavy but more awkward when transporting it from the vehicle to the water side.  The pro’s as I see them is the build quality is strong and durable, the performance was top notch and I will say I think I like it more then the Maxxon XPW 240.  The con’s it is awkward to carry heavy and storing it can be an issue for some.  Overall for me I would give the Gigbob 2.0 a 2 on a 10 scale and if it was not so heavy or awkward to carry it would easily get a 1 from me.

The Pump:

33My thoughts on the best tube - Page 2 Empty Re: My thoughts on the best tube Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:01 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Next near the end of the lock down I received another tube I had been watching for sometime.  This Tube is from Caperlan a French Outdoor fishing company which produced one float tube, the FLTB-5.  I had seen this tube on Instagram and Facebook a lot and some of the things I noticed really got me excited.  The tube also arrived with a pair of fins they wanted me to review as well.  The FLTB-FI fins.  Real quick the fins are one size fits all most have a boot to fit in to them.  They are very light weight move you well in the water and Bounce they float.  They unfortunately are not available here in the US as of yet but I do highly recommend them.

Now the FLTB-5 and my thoughts on it.  So the FLTB-5 is more the normal or traditional tube most people know.  Its a canvas cover over 2 bladders for pontoons and an inflatable seat giving it 2 more bladders (which we consider added safety).  One of the things that I see as a pro and which drew me to it so many years ago was the Backpack straps.  The are on the back of the seat, mind blown.  That was such a great idea, very well thought out to say the least.  Once I got to see this in person it confirmed to me that they had thought of everything.  So of the other pros there Tackle boxes (softsides, but box shapred) are adjustable and come in 3 sizes, and they all pack inside each other a great storage setup.  Next something I did not know that Apron has some emergency releases allowing you to quickly disconnect the left side of the apron in the event of an emergency (Here is hoping all are safe always on the water.)  
The boat is light weight and has great handles so the backpack straps don't need to always be used.  It handles great in the water and has a very comfortable seat.
Con's or Con in my case it is very short in the front, I guess kind of like the fish cat (Which oddly enough I have never owned).  To me they need just a little more length as it fills like it could tip forward if you are not careful. But if you are use to the fish cat this might not be an issue for you.  I really have no other con's as this is a very nice tube at a very fair price of $270.  I would place this at a 2 on a 10 scale it has all the bells and whistles you need and handles great.

34My thoughts on the best tube - Page 2 Empty Re: My thoughts on the best tube Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:04 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

And now on to the last and most recent addition to my growing list, the Float Plus 1.  Float Plus has been on my radar for years since the first started with there motor.  I have been in contact with the creator continually from there start in 2017.  The motor has been there big draw in Europe and the source of drooling out here in the US.  But recently the developed there first float tube the Float Plus 1, naturally it is motor ready of course.  Once I saw this I reached out to them with questions and got my answers.  They are a very responsive company and looking to do things right from the start.  Well about December of 2021 I got a message that a package was on the way to be prepared.  Once it arrived I tore in to it as fast as I could, (I have never been good at unboxing video's  lol! ).

The Float Plus 1 had arrived and was the first in the US beating someone else's by about 2 weeks, so I am officially the first  Thumbs Up .  So on to my thoughts.  Well the big conversation is the color, not a big draw here in the US as we all have our concerns of the color black in our sunny climate.  The jury is still out on this as I have had it in the front yard in the sun and felt it heat up fast.  But once on the water I have not had any issues with it being to hot to use.  Only time will tell but so far it does not seem to really be a problem.  Pro's it is a very well built boat (as most Hybrids I feel are) light weight and rugged.  It comes with multiple handles to carry and it any many different ways.  @ sets are use to drag it which are not idea if you are not set up for it (ie.. wheels), but the handles at the seat are perfectly placed to add in carrying this to the water with ease.  The seat is inflatable with 2 separate chambers so the back rest can be harder or softer vs the seat itself.  There is an inflatable floor again with 2 chambers and I like that it is part of the tube not an insert.  And there are 2 inflatable Pontoons, giving you 6 different inflatable chambers.  The boat sits high in the water and I mean high I am sitting with water below my knees in this one.  Of course it has the attachment for the motor as well as an opening in the floor for the motor cables - Float Plus Motor Ready.  It tracks well and moves with easy and I will say with out the motor it is a fast boat, so with the motor watch out.

Con's in my opinion so far the color is one but only because for the company they will have a harder time convincing people that its wont be an issue here in the US.  Con the lack of D-Rings on the tube.  It was explained to me that this was done on purpose so you the owner could add what you wanted where you wanted it.  So will this is a con it is easily fixed and and in the long run I think this is a great idea.  

Overall I would rate this a 1 on a 10 scale, I really feel this is one f the better tubes I have owned over the years. And once I have the motor I am sure the Float Plus 1 will be the top tube in my line up.

35My thoughts on the best tube - Page 2 Empty Re: My thoughts on the best tube Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:55 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I like the float tube but I just cannot get past the black color of it.
Sorry.

SP Dan

36My thoughts on the best tube - Page 2 Empty Re: My thoughts on the best tube Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:36 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So I would like to add another tube to this growing list of "my Thoughts on the best tube".

I recently received the Float Plus 2 float tube. This is the second build by Float Plus and the sister to the Float Plus 1. My first initial reaction was like the Float Plus 2 what a well designed boat. It is black with blue marking and basically identical to the Float plus 1 other then it overall size. The FP-2 is over all shorter the the FP-1 and the length of the pontoons in front are just a little shorter then the FP-1. My concern here is the possibility of tipping forward when reaching in front of you. But I think this is a long shot with this tube. The tube still has the seating area space just like the FP-1 but the back does have a little less space.
The weight of the tube is less then the FP-1 but not much the FP-2 weighs in at just over 9 pounds. and it can hold up to 485 pounds. That is amazing in my book. It comes with its 2 bags that are top quality and it comes with extra D-rings to add where you need them. Overall after using this tube I was very impressed and I would rate it as a 2 on a scale of 1 - 10. The reason I make this a 2 and not a 1 is I personally like the larger tubes now. This one is smaller as we discussed it is noticeable. But this is not a Con it actually makes it just a little more portable and much more similar to the basic tube we have here in the US. So please know that my score of a 2 and not a one is out of personal preference it really is a great float tube. If you are looking to get in to a Hybrid tube and or a Float Plus Tube this is definitely worth a closer look and consideration.

Jerdon likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum