FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Troutbum Today at 9:58 am

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Float Tube Rod Racks DIY and Retail.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Float Tube Rod Racks DIY and Retail. Empty Float Tube Rod Racks DIY and Retail. Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:35 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So I wanted to talk a little about Rod Racks in float tube fishing. I think from the very start of float tubing the idea of how can I take more rods with my was of high concern. Twisted Evil Ok maybe I don't know that for sure but I would image people worked on this many years ago.

I would like to just post some great picture of some great products as well as share my thoughts on these different types of rod holders. Maybe we can inspire an new design of a future rod holder.

So for me I started out with a basic float tube and used the tiny velcro straps on the side of the tube to secure the second rod when I went out fishing (do you remember those). It was pretty apparent after my second outing that this was not the best was to carry a second rod. So on to the hunt for a rod holder to help secure rods to the float tube. First let's talk about the most basic but useful tool the single strap on rod holder from like Scotty and Caddis.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

These rod holders which I have used for years are very useful and simple to use as well. You can place them on either side of your tube or get to an use them on both sides. I like that the are adjustable for the most part, but they are really for trolling not really for storing the extra rod on the tube, even though that is what I do from time to time at least in the past. These gave me an opportunity to take an extra rod with me and fill more secure. These rod holders are still available and I would say a most have as part of your float tube setup.

I will continue on with this write up but I encourage everyone to post up there rod holders and let us know what you think as well.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SP Dan likes this post

https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

2Float Tube Rod Racks DIY and Retail. Empty Re: Float Tube Rod Racks DIY and Retail. Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:32 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So let's go on order for me and rod racks and so that means we are now going to talk about the DIY rod Rack. What works best as far as I can see when it comes to making your own rod racks is PVC. Thumbs Up

So here is my first home built rod rack and it worked very well for me. I was into flyfishing and the 8 to 9 foot rods don't do well standing straight up. So that is why I went with a flat rod rack. This was easy to build and did a great job of keep my rod secure. I really liked this design and I really would like to try this again of course with some big improvements.

So from here people started to come up with there own ideas and builds. The possibilities are endless, have 2 rods 3 or more, add a part to attach you fish finder or maybe a small work table. You can add a trolling rod setup and maybe a Action Camera Stand. The best part of custom rod builds are the endless possibilities you can come up with for your needs.

If you have not built a rod holder yet and want to try now is the time have fun and use your imagination.

SP Dan likes this post

3Float Tube Rod Racks DIY and Retail. Empty Re: Float Tube Rod Racks DIY and Retail. Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:44 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Eventually the self built rod racks moved to the retail rod rack.  And they improved beyond just the single trolling rod holder to a full system.  We were fortunate enough to be the first to test out the CastMates Rod Rack.  There idea was a simple track system that could be mounted on either side of your tube.  It also came with options for long or short rod holders as well as the option to add cup holder, fishfinder monut, flasshlight or camera attachment.
It was fun watching this device grow and develope.  The CastMate was a great way to take extra rods with you on the water in a easy to attach retail system.  Still people preferred the DIY racks but more people moved over to the CastMate system for it simplicity and ease of use.  I used one for many years and I have to say it was a very wrll throughout system.  Unfortunate the owner Jack had to close up a few years back.  But still people ask about it and try to find the setup as it still catches the fisherman's eye.

SP Dan likes this post

4Float Tube Rod Racks DIY and Retail. Empty Re: Float Tube Rod Racks DIY and Retail. Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:35 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So on to the newest rod holder out there and while it is not as big as the DIY rod racks, it is very well suited for our float tube fishing style.  And you can use it in so many more ways than just on your float tube.  I am talking about the Rod Sprocket.

What a great idea this Sprocket on a nylon strap that can wrap around you side pontoon, around you waist, or the pylon on your favorite dock.
The nice thing about Rod Sprockets is that you can use for more then just float tube fishing. And a just $25 it is a great value to serve you in more than one way.

SP Dan likes this post

5Float Tube Rod Racks DIY and Retail. Empty Re: Float Tube Rod Racks DIY and Retail. Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:26 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

OK so now let's talk about the Kim's Rod Holders, which I think kind of straddle the DIY and Retail Rod Holders. These are custom made rod holders that are designed for float tube fishing. They are well planed and built with quality materials. The simplicity of them make them I feel a great option for a quick and useful setup.
I ask the important questions, "are the rivets rust proof?" Answer yes they are so I feel that these rod holders will last years as well. You can contact the directly to talk about what they have to offer or check them out at there ebay store. There cost are low and quality is high so if you are looking for a new float tube rod holder setup here is another good option to check out. Call or text Kim at (909) 362-1747. Or by email [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SP Dan likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum