FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Jerdon Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

» New landing net I just landed
by jeffcpr Sat May 04, 2024 8:22 am

» Current Patreon Members
by jeffcpr Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 am

» CAPERLAN FLTB-5 (Used it Once Only) with Back Seat Compartment (fixed images) :)
by ronniek524 Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:39 am

» Big'un at Hodges 4/28
by Troutbum Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:31 am

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fish Finder Mount?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fish Finder Mount?  Empty Fish Finder Mount? Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:03 pm

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

How are you guys mounting a fish finder on your float tubes? I'd love to mount a 9" or 10" on my tube.

Thanks for any help.

SP Dan likes this post

2Fish Finder Mount?  Empty Re: Fish Finder Mount? Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:50 am

tunacat

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Fishfindermounts.com works for me. mounts on the battery pack which is strapped around your tube & the transducer is on the strap also. There are better ways to mount the transducer though!

SP Dan likes this post

3Fish Finder Mount?  Empty Re: Fish Finder Mount? Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:50 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I just float a “Deeper-Pro +” next to me and Bluetooth to my iPhone 13 pro max as my monitor screen.
It works perfectly!

I had honestly landed 20 legal Halibut before June 1st in the previous 2021 Season.

For me … it’s all about the water’s temperature, depth, the bottom’s surface-hardness and the vegetations below me. I don’t watch for fish.

Best of luck to you and I look forward to viewing pictures of your DIY fishfinder mount. 👍🏼

SP Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Johnpeace9@gmail.com likes this post

4Fish Finder Mount?  Empty Re: Fish Finder Mount? Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:42 pm

Joe_Dizzy

Joe_Dizzy
FTFF Gathering Officer

I like PVC pipe for this mod (as do most). PVC is light, rigid, impact resistant, cheap, versatile, modifiable, and hollow (the latter can come in handy).

Here is the finished prototype for mounting my Garmin to a Cumberland tube using 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings. The Garmin unit mounts with 3 wood screws (which PVC pipe accepts nicely) so a standard tee fitting worked well here. Two short parallel sections would straddle the top my float tube and I would use a pair of 1" wide straps to lash it down. I wanted the transducer to be able to swing to/from position and thought that the handle on a ball valve would work great for this - and it has so far. This ensures that I can swing it up and lash it to the tube for transport and launch/beach and then swing it down into rigid position at a perfect 90* angle for operation. The hollow pipe also allowed for running the transducer wire internally which keeps things a bit neater. I used clamps instead of fasteners for the transducer arm in case I needed to tweak it or it failed prematurely... so far, so good though.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here it is mounted to the tube. The transducer is a bit heavy so the valve handle isn't strong enough to hold it in place by itself. I wound a piece of copper wire off the D-ring in the back to hold it like a twist tie. This works fine, but will clean this up with something better going forward.

Now with the transducer in the down position. Note that the first order of business was to move my Scotty rod holder to the bow area. I'm a right-handed caster so it's important to keep the right side of the tube as clear as possible. This did require cutting the plastic mesh in the "basket" area up front to allow the straps to go around the tube. Hopefully this move doesn't bite me in the arse. I looked at other tube-modders that did this and it hasn't resulted in excessive tearing... fingers crossed this holds true for me as well. See how I feel after this season. I intend to build another mount out of "pretty" PVC for the permanent solution over winter.

And finally on the water. Very impressed with this unit. I've used a flasher type sonar for ice fishing so I am familiar with reading signal intensity and interpreting the sonar cone. What I wasn't expecting is how clearly things like chironomids and bands of Daphnia show up!

jeffcpr, tunacat and Pablosparky like this post

5Fish Finder Mount?  Empty Re: Fish Finder Mount? Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:15 pm

tunacat

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Haha, the ball valve handle is brilliant as a swivel. But yes they're not strong & some are very hard to turn, you could use a brass ball valve they have a metal handle, although salt with the brass may stain your tube. You can get a ips (threaded) ball valve & a sch 80 nipple which is stronger than sch 40 cut to length so one end glues (Christy's blue glue) into your last tee then the threaded end goes into the ball valve. Then hose clamp to the handle.

Joe_Dizzy likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum