FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Today at 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

» Landing Net Raffle from Patreon
by jeffcpr Sun May 05, 2024 7:34 am

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 10:31 pm

» Things are looking better!
by SP Dan Sat May 04, 2024 6:20 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by SP Dan in 10 minutes before dark
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

I think float tubing ruined me

+4
jeffcpr
BigMaxFloats
ubet
Dannicus
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I think float tubing ruined me Empty I think float tubing ruined me Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:42 am

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Maybe the better way of saying it is float tubing spoiled me?

I have been fishing all my life.  It is one of the consistent loves afforded me since my earliest childhood memories.  I never had a boat in those early years but my parents would drive me to various lakes or streams (not being fishermen themselves) where I would happily while away the days fishing from shore.  

I got my first Caddis (round) float tube after graduating high school in 1979, and began fishing every body of water in Colorado that I could.  Rainbow,  German Brown, Cutthroat and Brook trout, Walleye, Northern Pike, Crappie,  Bluegill, Channel and Blue Catfish and my favorite; Largemouth Bass all fell victim to me in that tube in Colorado.

I joined the navy in 1982 and moved to California where I have lived ever since.  I bought an early model Fish Cat and began fishing the local resevoirs and bays.  I added Striped Bass, Spotted Bay Bass, Halibut, Covina, Bat Ray, Shovelnose and Leopard Shark, assorted rock fish, Mackerel and even a Yellowfin Tuna to my float tube resume.

Eventually, my financial situation improved and I purchased a house and subsequently a boat.  I fished in it, and had some success, but somehow it was never the same.  The intimate connection to nature achieved by sitting directly on the water was not there.  I was forever concerned with positioning the boat with the trolling motor.  I wasn't as fully immersed in the sunrise over the misty water.  Instead of slowly methodically working an area, tantalizing a fish into striking, it became a numbers game.  Covering water quickly and moving on.  Much like my corporate life, it became a hurried grind and I slowly drifted away from one of my favorite activities.

By the beginning of the Pandemic, I had my own business.  It was doing well, but I had my life savings tied up in it.  Covid literally killed it and I lost everything.  I sold my home and boat, business equipment and drastically downsized my life.  I moved full time into an RV to live a nomadic lifestyle. Living simply suited me fine.  I bought an 13 foot inflatable and basically turned it into a full bass boat.  It had seats, a livewell, rod holders, anchors, a fish finder, and trolling motor.    Still, I took half a day to get it inflated and all set up, and nearly as long to stow away.  Besides, I still could not achieve the intimacy I remembered from my float tube days.

So I did my research, found this group, followed some recommendations and bought my Cumberland.  Yesterday as I watched kayakers put all their equipment on their boats and wheel them toward the lake, they watched me in turn.  I backed up to the lake, put my tube in the water, put on my fins and kicked out.  I was fishing before most of them were even unloaded.

Is float tubing an addiction?  I dunno.  I am 61 years old, overweight with arthritic knees kicking against the wind, and loving it all over again!  Will float tubing kill me?  I dunno, but if it does I will surely die with a big smile on my face.

Dan

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Dannicus on Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

kin, ubet, SP Dan, jmytuna, Pablosparky, bassman37, J2R and like this post

2I think float tubing ruined me Empty Re: I think float tubing ruined me Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:52 pm

ubet

FTFF Gathering Officer

Hi Dannicus-
I sure can relate to your post. My 67 year old arthritic knees are happier in my Cumberland than on dry land. Whenever I think on getting a boat or a paddle kayak my thoughts quickly turn to all the fuss and bother of their logistics. At my age I think I'll stick with my tube.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Dannicus likes this post

3I think float tubing ruined me Empty Re: I think float tubing ruined me Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:24 pm

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

ubet wrote:Hi Dannicus-
I sure can relate to your post. My 67 year old arthritic knees are happier in my Cumberland than on dry land. Whenever I think on getting a boat or a paddle kayak my thoughts quickly turn to all the fuss and bother of their logistics. At my age I think I'll stick with my tube.
Thanks for sharing your story.

You are very welcome. For myself I am glad to be reunited with my passion. As I slowly kicked along dragging a plastic worm along the bottom I gazed at the beautiful sunrise and felt the peaceful grace of it. I concurrently had to wonder why I ever left float tubing in the first place. It is truly a big part of my Zen.

4I think float tubing ruined me Empty Re: I think float tubing ruined me Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:24 pm

BigMaxFloats

BigMaxFloats
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Monster Halibut
Legal Halibut Caught

This is an awesome write up. Glad you’re enjoying getting back on the water on the tube. I totally agree with the ease of launching and low key setup. Even with all the crap I carry I can be from truck to having a line in the water in just a few minutes.

SP Dan and bassman37 like this post

5I think float tubing ruined me Empty Re: I think float tubing ruined me Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:28 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Hey first thank you for your service my son is currently in the Navy with about 2 years left. Not sure if he is going to sign up again but we will see.
So glad you found out forum and so happy you are back on the water. Let me say the way you explained your time on a float tube just amazing. Makes me want to get on the water right now.
Thanks for posting this and thanks for being a contributing member. Keep up the great fun buddy.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SP Dan and bassman37 like this post

https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

6I think float tubing ruined me Empty Re: I think float tubing ruined me Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:38 pm

Dannicus

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Thanks guys, and thanks for everyone on the forums help for getting me to this place.

jeffcpr and SP Dan like this post

7I think float tubing ruined me Empty Re: I think float tubing ruined me Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:22 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

It sounds like you got it all figured out Dan!
I’m 70 and I still luv getting out there for 5-6 hours on the water!

Keep getting out there and continue with those fish reports!

SP Dan

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

Dannicus likes this post

8I think float tubing ruined me Empty Re: I think float tubing ruined me Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:01 am

J2R

J2R
FTFF Gathering Officer

Welcome home brother... Even in our darkest moments of defeat we can find solace. I feel for your loss and have confidence that you regain your foothold. In the intern, fish like a madman! Float on...

SP Dan, jmytuna and Dannicus like this post

9I think float tubing ruined me Empty Re: I think float tubing ruined me Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:22 pm

FloatTubeIQ

Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Well stated! 100% agree - Float Tube is my favorite way to fish, even when it may not be the most productive. The intimacy of being in contact with the water is just fantastic. And I get decent exercise too.

jeffcpr, SP Dan and Dannicus like this post

10I think float tubing ruined me Empty Re: I think float tubing ruined me Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:27 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

I couldn’t have said it any better!

SP Dan

jeffcpr and Dannicus like this post

11I think float tubing ruined me Empty Re: I think float tubing ruined me Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:14 pm

rjb_Skins

Junior FTFF Member
Junior FTFF Member

Here is a suggestion from a 70 year old with arthritic hips and knee (and one artificial knee)...Stay out on the water as long as you can.  It is transcendental...you feel like you are one with nature out on the water fishing.  Another suggestion, is to get Wader Skins Pants or Leggings...they are 3 MM neoprene and fit tight to your body and achy joints.  I find that I can be out on the water for longer periods of time in comfort and safety in Wader Skins.  Check them out at Wader Skins.com.  Don't just take my word for it about Wader Skins...ask SP Dan as well.

jeffcpr and SP Dan like this post

http://www.waderskins.com

12I think float tubing ruined me Empty Re: I think float tubing ruined me Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:29 am

SP Dan

SP Dan

Ron is 100% correct!! 👍🏼

SP Dan

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum