FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Today at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Today at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Today at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Today at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Today at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Spinnerbaits In the Bays?

+4
itchybass
sonarbp
TheAsianGuy
IN2DEEP
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:42 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

What weight spinnerbaits fish well in the bays?
3/8oz, 1/2oz?

2Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:49 pm

D all of the above. After fishing them for sometime now I would fish 1/2oz or heavier.

3Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:50 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Not sure about the bay, but I used to play it using Carolina rig, 1oz, in the surf, or from the boats (1/8oz for near surface and 3/4oz for deep). Why not bring both the 3/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 since you have to deal with variables, such as currents, surface enticement, or deep searching.

4Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:58 pm

TheAsianGuy wrote:Not sure about the bay, but I used to play it using Carolina rig, 1oz, in the surf, or from the boats (1/8oz for near surface and 3/4oz for deep). Why not bring both the 3/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 since you have to deal with variables, such as currents, surface enticement, or deep searching.

Question, how and why would you use a Carolina rig on a spinnerbaits?
What were you fishing for in the surf?

Also, 1/4oz is too light for in the bay when it comes to spinnerbait

5Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 pm

TheAsianGuy

TheAsianGuy
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Miller, for quick retrieval, but want the spinner to just be under the surf without the surf causing line tangle, while creating disturbance enough to create a noticeable bait on the run. It's down in San Diego, near the jetties. I tossed the spinners down, but the surf tend to flip the light spinners all over the place, creating entanglement. Thus, a quick methodical rig. I tried Texas, as well as dropshot method. Not as successful as the Carolina. Leader was 12". Fished with my brother who stationed at the naval base for a short time before he moved to Hawaii.

Forgot, my bro and I had no specifics on what we can hookset. Just aim for anything that may be around the jetties, and hoping to land a huge hali.

6Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:51 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I like to use 1/2oz to 1oz spinners in the bays. It depends on conditions on what size to use....fast tidal currents means 1oz baits.

7Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:07 am

itchybass

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

sonarbp wrote:I like to use 1/2oz to 1oz spinners in the bays. It depends on conditions on what size to use....fast tidal currents means 1oz baits.

Exactly, let the conditions determine what weight. Less current means less weight. Basically, you want to use as little weight as you can to stay on the bottom.

8Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:10 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

itchybass wrote:
sonarbp wrote:I like to use 1/2oz to 1oz spinners in the bays. It depends on conditions on what size to use....fast tidal currents means 1oz baits.

Exactly, let the conditions determine what weight. Less current means less weight. Basically, you want to use as little weight as you can to stay on the bottom.

Threw spinners last night in a pretty light tidal movement and all were under 1/2oz and far too light imho to stay on the bottom with any retrieval speed. Crawled on the bottom ok though with super slow retrieve.

@Asianguy, I think (just me)the C rig is one of the most successful rigs for surf fishing in general. T rig? Eh, not so much same with spinner baits. I would rather throw a crank or a spoon of some kind. Drop shot? Again it does work for some guys but in the surf I really think its a KISS situation. I can see an egg sinker on the line sliding and helping to keep a spinner down. But...again for me too much trouble. I'd rather find the fish where they are holding up and fish that C rig or throw a crank.

Just my .02

9Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:35 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks guys!
This gives me an idea on what to looks for, or better yet, get the ambition to make some! cheers

10Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:01 pm

IN2DEEP wrote:Thanks guys!
This gives me an idea on what to looks for, or better yet, get the ambition to make some! cheers

If your making or buying I would start with a 3/4oz.

11Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

BTW, a white spinnerbait in at least 1/2oz, double willow ripped over eel grass produces fish, sometimes spotties, other times sandies, worth a try though when the water warms up a tad.. Wink

12Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:49 am

sonarbp

sonarbp
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hammer 4 wrote:BTW, a white spinnerbait in at least 1/2oz, double willow ripped over eel grass produces fish, sometimes spotties, other times sandies, worth a try though when the water warms up a tad.. Wink

What Hammer said is true! I like white with a splash of chartruese.

13Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:28 am

itchybass

FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Yep, white is usually the way to go.

14Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:36 am

waxon67

waxon67
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

itchybass wrote:Yep, white is usually the way to go.

I like white as a general all around color in most artificials. I would have to agree as well. Awesome in a spinnerbait.

15Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:17 am

CPT Kirk

CPT Kirk
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

I had a lot of luck last year with a 1oz wht/Chart spinner bait.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

http://bassinthehood.com

16Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:36 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I should have mentioned, just in case there are those out there that aren't familiar with spinner baits, especially a double willow leaf, is that while those blades don't "thump" as much as a Colorado, or Indiana blade, they do cause the bait to rise faster. So if you need to keep it just off the bottom while burning it, then you need to go up in weight.

OTH, if your in 6' water, as there are eel grass spots closer to shore in some bays, then a 1/2 oz. should do the trick. And obviously if your slow rollin, or bottom bouncing them, a 3/8 or 1/2 oz will work. IMHO, it's best to have a couple in each size, and color, as sometimes an all white won't trigger a bite, yet if it has some chartreuse, it may get ya a fish or 3.. Thumbs Up

17Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:03 pm

n2deepfsw

n2deepfsw
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Great info. Hammer!

18Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:34 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good info guys!
I guess spinnerbaits in the SW differs from the lakes as far as the weight?
Need to fish them closer to the bottom in the salt?
For FW, someone was recommending that I get get 3/8 and 1/2oz

19Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:36 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Hammer 4 wrote:I should have mentioned, just in case there are those out there that aren't familiar with spinner baits, especially a double willow leaf, is that while those blades don't "thump" as much as a Colorado, or Indiana blade, they do cause the bait to rise faster. So if you need to keep it just off the bottom while burning it, then you need to go up in weight.

OTH, if your in 6' water, as there are eel grass spots closer to shore in some bays, then a 1/2 oz. should do the trick. And obviously if your slow rollin, or bottom bouncing them, a 3/8 or 1/2 oz will work. IMHO, it's best to have a couple in each size, and color, as sometimes an all white won't trigger a bite, yet if it has some chartreuse, it may get ya a fish or 3.. Thumbs Up
x2 great info!

20Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:53 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

IN2DEEP wrote:Good info guys!
I guess spinnerbaits in the SW differs from the lakes as far as the weight?
Need to fish them closer to the bottom in the salt?
For FW, someone was recommending that I get get 3/8 and 1/2oz

Dang, I just wrote out a nice long reply, but it disappeared..wtf..?

I'll try again..

Sort of, fishing for sandies requires us to get near the bottom, not so much for spotties, although it can work. Do you never bounce a spinner bait off the bottom in fw, or fish it like a jig..? That fluttering action of a spinner bait can drive a bass crazy given the right conditions.. Wink

As for the salt, you could use a 3/8 if there is little to no current, I would go heavier, and you can add a trailer, such as a big hammer, ect, and a trailer hook to help get the spinner bait down. I would save the 3/8 for fresh, and grab some 1/2 and 3/4 oz baits. Also try to get good quality baits, as the cheap ones have that a rubber band that holds the skirt on, and it rots pretty quick, even if you rinse them off, hand tied ones rule.

21Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:05 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks Hammer!
I pour my own leadheads and was considering pouring some spinnerbaits but don't have much experience building or fishing them. Sad
I see that they can be very effective so I want to learn what I can about them.
I'll probably be using a Do-it Ultra Minnow mold to make the body and try to figure out the other hardware requirements.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

22Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:24 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

IIRC, there's some info on the interwebs re: making your own spinner baits. The componets are pretty important to the overall function of the bait, so get the best materials possible. I'll see if I can dig up some info. for ya.

I found a place to learn to build baits, but I can't post a link, cuz I haven't been here long enough.. No

23Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:36 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Found this site
Haven't looked it over yet, but it looks like a good read Wink
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

24Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:51 pm

Hammer 4

Hammer 4
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

I have a few spinner baits that need new blades and skirts. Your welcome to them if you want.

25Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Empty Re: Spinnerbaits In the Bays? Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:12 pm

IN2DEEP

IN2DEEP
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Sounds good!
I don't have any of the hardware yet, but when I do, we can refurb those up!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum