FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Today at 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by jmytuna Thu May 09, 2024 9:03 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Tue May 07, 2024 4:59 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

» Otay trifecta 5/4
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:36 pm

» Patreon Supporter OnWater
by Jerdon Mon May 06, 2024 7:26 pm

» What are or were your questions
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 11:37 am

» OnWater App is now a supporter of the Float Tube Fishing Patreon and Forum
by jeffcpr Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am

» I'm New Here
by easeup Sun May 05, 2024 4:40 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

You are not connected. Please login or register

Cumberland or Bust

+4
Gatorfan
ed5000x
Jerdon
dayhut
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Cumberland or Bust Empty Cumberland or Bust Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:52 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Okay, maybe "bust" is a bad choice of words in the world of float tubes...
But, I got my Chehalis on its way to the new owner in Norway. To make a long story short, I had not used it, so it was still crated. I examined it once, closed the box and that was that. It was placed on the South Carolina Outdoors classified and Rolf from Norway contacted me.

Did I say this would be short?

Well, old Rolf wanted it pretty bad and kept up the pressure for me to sell. And I vacillated.
Which is when my truck finally gave up. Soft plug fell out, coolant drained and she shut down. No starting, no sign of life. Probably valves and I'm not really keen to fix it yet again. 328,000 miles and it's pretty much scrap, now.

But no truck means I'm not toting big inflatables around. Enter the Cumberland - which fits in the back of my SUV.

Will I like the CA tube? Probably.
But it's more about transport than love at this stage.

So Rolf buys a new Chehalis, I buy a new Cumberland. Now for some fins, boots and waders...

https://palmettoflynfish.blogspot.com

2Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:45 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Sorry to hear about the truck and congratz on the Cumberland.
Easy transportation and storage is the beauty of the float tube.

3Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:23 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Jerdon wrote:Sorry to hear about the truck and congratz on the Cumberland.
Easy transportation and storage is the beauty of the float tube.
Thanks for reading the whole thing... Smile

Transport is a biggie, fer sure. Gearing up is next...

4Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:39 am

ed5000x

ed5000x
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Sorry but it sound bitter sweet but glad you got your tube

5Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:21 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

ed5000x wrote:Sorry but it sound bitter sweet but glad you got your tube
...bittersweet to a degree. I've had the truck for a long time. I don't have a lot of money in it, but plenty of time.
It has gotten raggedy in recent times. But I didn't see a plug falling out.
Ouch!

6Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:14 pm

Gatorfan

Gatorfan
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Float tubing in South Carolina? I think we've had this conversation before, but I lived in Goose Creek and a few other surrounding places in my younger years. If I remember correctly, there was no shortage of gators......just about everywhere! Are you wearing the new "Sir Lance-A-Lot" waders???? I've been known to go on an ill-advised adventure or two, but I have my limits! lol

7Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:53 pm

Squirrelbane

FTFF Gathering Officer

I'm in SC, too. Just got a float tube for Christmas and can't wait to take it out. No gators (that I know of) in the Midlands. That being said, I don't ever want to meet one up close and personal.

8Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:34 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Gatorfan wrote:Float tubing in South Carolina?  I think we've had this conversation before, but I lived in Goose Creek and a few other surrounding places in my younger years.  If I remember correctly, there was no shortage of gators......just about everywhere!  Are you wearing the new "Sir Lance-A-Lot" waders???? I've been known to go on an ill-advised adventure or two, but I have my limits!  lol
Well I fish in the Midlands as mentioned elsewhere - Ive never seen a gator at Lake Murray, nor in the ponds I frequent.
About the only wildlife that might cause me to pause are these:

Snapping turtles - These are pretty much ubiquitous. Ive heard they might show up when you're quietly bobbing along and take a nip of... something. Never heard of it happening, though.

Water moccasins - Contrary to popular lore, these CAN bite underwater, and I do see them on occasion. But, here again, Ive never heard of anyone ever being bitten while actually in the water.  

Large gar - Okay, THIS is the one that makes me cringe. These I see a lot and I caught a BIG one last year from my yak'anoe.  All teeth, and sharp scales, their gill plates were once used by Native Americans as cutting tools. DO NOT want one near my float tube.

Large catfish - I saw one last year that would have topped 20 pounds. It came out from under a log and followed my spinner for ten yards, or so.
I would get it close enough for a pic, then cut it loose. But the drag around might be fun!

9Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:36 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Squirrelbane wrote:I'm in SC, too. Just got a float tube for Christmas and can't wait to take it out. No gators (that I know of) in the Midlands. That being said, I don't ever want to meet one  up close and personal.
Where in SC? As noted in my siggy line, I'm in the Leesville area. salute

PS If youre on facebook, check out my page, "The Palmetto Fly." Its devoted to fly fishing, so if you're not currently a "feather flicker," you could pick up some pointers along that line.
But stop on by!

10Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:21 am

Squirrelbane

FTFF Gathering Officer

Near Columbia. I have never been fly fishing. In fact, just getting started with artificial lures. Mostly used live bait in the past.

11Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:36 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Squirrelbane wrote:Near Columbia. I have never been fly fishing. In fact, just getting started with artificial lures. Mostly used live bait in the past.
"Near Columbia," well that's same as me.
Unless you prefer to fish solo, maybe we can hook up around the Saluda Shoals area soon?
I should be in the water within a few weeks.

If you don't fly fish, well, some of what goes on at the The Palmetto Fly might seem quizzical; I can see that.
But you should join anyway, if for no other reason than you're an SC'er. Seriously, we need to represent for these Cali boys...

Hit me up with an email and I'll send a phone no.

12Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:52 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Got the Cumbee "aired up" today.
My grandson was impressed, as you can see here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I used an electric mattress blower to inflate the thing - 15 seconds and it was done!ii
I must get a 12vdc pump for sure. Inflate at the parking apron, and stow the backup hand pump in with the gear. You do have to be careful, though; these powered pumps can overinflate in a second.

I'm also diggin' on the Boston valves. They are gur basic, yet tried and true. I first thought I'd be let down by them, hoping for some higher tech inlet "system." But the Boston's require no special wrenches, adapters or other gimmicks. Replacements are so easy to come by, in fact, I couldn't resist picking up a couple spares.

I hooked up the shoulder straps and tried that, too.
The balance was a little wonky, because of where the attachments points are placed.
This is a key feature for me, because I have several remote access spots that require a 100-200 yard hike.
I'll ponder up a reinforcement at the weight bearing point, as I feel it'll eventually be wanted. Maybe some more robust straps can be found, as well.

Tomorrow, I'll detail my seat reinforcement plan.
Stay tuned.

13Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:35 pm

Dex

Dex
FTFF Member
FTFF Member

Congrats on the new Cumberland. You will love it. I got mine for Christmas and I love it. keeps you high and dry and its nice and sturdy.

14Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:37 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Dex wrote:Congrats on the new Cumberland.  You will love it.  I got mine for Christmas and I love it.  keeps you high and dry and its nice and sturdy.

Thanks! And I seriously need one of those face covers like yours - I'll scare the fish into submission.

15Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:12 pm

.:LOLLY:.

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Congrats on the new tube. Your waters seem way scarier than any salt water I've ever encountered...

16Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:22 pm

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

.:LOLLY:. wrote:Congrats on the new tube. Your waters seem way scarier than any salt water I've ever encountered...
My waters? Why?

Thats a new perspective. I'm in awe of you guys tubing around the salt, and you wonder about me in a redneck ocean!

17Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:50 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

All I have to worry about are pesky curious seals. People say sharks but I've never seen them so I don't count them. Unlike all the critters you have over there. Although a Garr from the tube does sound kind of tempting... I said kind of. Lol

18Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:04 pm

fisheromen

fisheromen
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

My oldest Grandson is about that age, maybe a little older. Looks like he is ready to go!

You're going to love your tube. I carry a 3' piece of 3/4 OD plastic tubing to top off the air when I get to the lake. (by mouth) I also have a small piece of 12 gauge insulated wire clipped to a loop. I use it to let out some air when I get the tube out of the water and into the sun. It will swell up quick without the water contact to keep it cool. I think there is an auto deflate if it gets really tight. Not sure about that.

Enjoy!

BTW, what is a Chehalis, besides a place and tribe in Washington?

19Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

The valves on the Cumberland do let air out in there own when they reach a certain PSI. You can also lean on the Boston valve, pushing it sideways, and you'll hear start to hiss.

I'm not 100% but I think the chehalis is a toon.

20Cumberland or Bust Empty Re: Cumberland or Bust Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:11 am

dayhut

dayhut
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

fisheromen wrote:My oldest Grandson is about that age, maybe a little older.  Looks like he is ready to go!  

You're going to love your tube.  I carry a 3' piece of 3/4 OD plastic tubing to top off the air when I get to the lake. (by mouth)  I also have a small piece of 12 gauge insulated wire clipped to a loop. I use it to let out some air when I get the tube out of the water and into the sun.  It will swell up quick without the water contact to keep it cool.  I think there is an auto deflate if it gets really tight.  Not sure about that.

Enjoy!

BTW, what is a Chehalis, besides a place and tribe in Washington?
Chehails is a float tube, a big one. It's officially referred to as a frameless pontoon. It's got oars and is 8' long!
The deflating thing is tricky. CA days loosen the valve body by unscrewing it part way - that let's air out and scares me more than going without a PFD.
I've tried your wire trick for the Boston valve and it works. I do prefer to ensure it has a nice rounded tip though....
I have a small hand pump for inflating while away from shore. It's kinda like a bicycle frame pump, on steroids. But an extension tube for the valves is a good idea.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum