FLOAT TUBE FISHING FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Float Tube Fishing Forum We're Always On The Fish

Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner Clearance Banner
Clearance Banner

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
by david886720 Today at 9:16 pm

» A freshwater fish report from Lake Ocotillo, Arizona
by david886720 Today at 9:13 pm

» Survival Fishing Contest?
by jeffcpr Today at 7:10 pm

» Back in the tube, AB with BMF: 5-11-24
by david886720 Today at 6:51 pm

» Some good growth.
by jeffcpr Today at 2:20 pm

» The Float Tube Fishing Patreon
by jeffcpr Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 am

» Gathering at Los Alamitos Bay
by jeffcpr Mon May 13, 2024 11:03 pm

» FRM Boards available again.
by Dannicus Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 am

» What the Heck is going on here?
by Jerdon Fri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm

» The Maxxon 240
by jeffcpr Wed May 08, 2024 12:24 pm

» Motor project finished!
by Jerdon Tue May 07, 2024 6:51 pm

» The Captain was good to me 5/7
by Dannicus Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm

Donate to the FTFF
Clearance Banner

Members benifits
Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Clearance Banner

Posts with the most reactions of the month

» Post by jeffcpr in OK I wrote a book
( 5 )

» Post by dreamingthoughawake in Hello from MD _ just ordered a Cumberland tube last night
( 4 )

» Post by Dannicus in Amazing thing at El Capitan 4/22
( 3 )

» Post by SP Dan in Things are looking better!
( 3 )

» Post by Dannicus in Big'un at Hodges 4/28
( 3 )

You are not connected. Please login or register

Savage Gear 170

+2
jeffcpr
GT
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Savage Gear 170 Empty Savage Gear 170 Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:36 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Anyone kick a Savage Gear HRB-170, with oars? I found a good deal on one...........GT

2Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:52 am

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Legal Catch from the Tube
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So I have been in one a while back it was nice heavey but pretty nice.  If ita a good deal go for it.

Matthew 4:19 Fisher of Men
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
https://floattubeforum.forumotion.com

3Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:43 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well I'm a proud owner of a Savage Gear 170. Got a $150 discount at Fisherman's Access Black Friday sale. It's maiden voyage will probably be the Salt Toy Drive launch. I may try to get her in at HH before then................GT:cheers:

4Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:48 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Congrats buddy looking forward to seeing it.

5Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:53 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

So which one did you get with or without oars just wondering?

6Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:12 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Savage Gear 170 with oars............ cheers

7Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:42 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

Congrat's on your SWEET looking new ride GT! Thumbs Up

SP Dan <"))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

8Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:22 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Congratz on the new toy GT.
I will see you Sunday.

9Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:10 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Thanks Guys...here's some pics
Out of the bx and then assembled.Sorry guys I still can't post pics. I don't know what has happened to this website but things have changed Evil or Very Mad ..............GT

10Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Here you go 

11Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:27 pm

jeffcpr

jeffcpr
Admin
Patreon Member
Gold Member
Spottied Bay Bass
Prize Trout
Prize Trout Caught
Sandbass
Large Sandbass Catch

Hey I see pictures there you go, buddy, I like the look of your new ride.

12Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:08 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Well the thanks goes to Jerdon. He stopped by yesterday for a beer and some computer advise........they started to load but never did........so Jerdon loaded them for me from his PC.......Thanks Jerdon, much appreciated.........GT

13Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:48 am

JoeyBasstard

JoeyBasstard
FTFF Gathering Officer

nice purchase. this is the float tube I really wanted to get. Just getting it into Canada, the exchange rate, shipping, etc.... was too rich for my blood at the end of the day. lol.. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this tube as you get use out of it.

14Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:47 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Good morning Joey Basstard. As you saw in my earlier post I had a Super Fat Cat. Now that I have had the Savage Gear out numerous times, I have some Pro's and Con's.
First I would like to say, the tube is a beast. You can land it on rocks, asphalt, concrete, just about anything.
Secondly, it sit you higher out of the water, which I like. Wind does not seem to be a factor. And the rubber skin seems to glide thru the water with less drag.
My third point would be, I can leave it fully inflated when stored, not having to pump it up when launching. Also the center cavity below the seat and between the tubes is inflatable, giving it a very rigid feel.
Fourth point would be the adjustable inflated seat. Its removable from the tube, adhering to Velcro strips when installed.
Fifth point, the removable storage compartments. I love the fact I can pack them up at my work bench, making sure I have everything up front. Also, I have a large gear bag that I load them into along with fins and other stuff.
The negative points would be, unless you really need the oars, don't buy them. I purchased a glue on mount system for rod holders etc., you can't row with the stuff in stalled. So I don't use the oars.
Secondly, I wish the bags, compartments, were wider. I had to change my Plano boxes, to wide.
Third would be the seat, wish it had separate sections when inflating, backrest, seat. The seat is one piece, one valve. You get a leak, no seat, no back rest.
Hope this helps in your decision making, tight lines,.....GT

15Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:20 pm

SP Dan

SP Dan

That was an excellent write up GT of the pros and cons for anyone else out there who is interested in picking up a Savage Gear 170 float tube.
I remember you telling me that you also had an issue with the air-valve for this seat / backrest and that you were able to fix it with a simple bead of silicone caulking.

It is definitely a well-built float tube meant to be durable.

SP Dan <“))><

"Obsessive Compulsive Fishing Disorder"!

16Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:14 pm

Alakai

Alakai
Team Poseidon
Team Poseidon

Really cool, looks like that Seven Bass tube Jeff has for sale. I have always heard that an inflatable seat is superior than the foam one my Cumberland has.
Thing is that I realized not long ago that I can remove the seat cushion without much effort or strain. I guess you could replace it with an inflatable at some point if you found one that fit nicely.

Cool evaluation though, food for thought when looking at other tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FisherNewb

17Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:56 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Nice compare and contrast GT!!

I seen pics of you fishing without the oars and wondered how you got that sorted. What size tackle boxes fit? 3600, 3700?

18Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:49 pm

Jerdon

Jerdon
Largemouth Bass
Largemouth Trophy

Alakai wrote:Really cool, looks like that Seven Bass tube Jeff has for sale. I have always heard that an inflatable seat is superior than the foam one my Cumberland has.
Thing is that I realized not long ago that I can remove the seat cushion without much effort or strain. I guess you could replace it with an inflatable at some point if you found one that fit nicely.

Cool evaluation though, food for thought when looking at other tubes.
 Alakai,

Do a search on "Inflatable Seats" we have had a lot of solutions for replacing and modifying foam seats in the past.

19Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:59 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Don't know how many of you ride motorcycles, but they make Gell inserts for cycle seats. Knowing this I had plans of removing the foam bottom on my Cumbie, cutting out the foam to fit the insert and wham, gell seat......GT

Thanks SPDan and Jerdon......much appreciated.........GT

20Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:17 pm

JoeyBasstard

JoeyBasstard
FTFF Gathering Officer

GT wrote:Good morning Joey Basstard. As you saw in my earlier post I had a Super Fat Cat. Now that I have had the Savage Gear out numerous times, I have some Pro's and Con's.
  First I would like to say, the tube is a beast. You can land it on rocks, asphalt, concrete, just about anything.
  Secondly, it sit you higher out of the water, which I like. Wind does not seem to be a factor. And the rubber skin seems to glide thru the water with less drag.
   My third point would be, I can leave it fully inflated when stored, not having to pump it up when launching. Also the center cavity below the seat and between the tubes is inflatable, giving it a very rigid feel.
   Fourth point would be the adjustable inflated seat. Its removable from the tube, adhering to Velcro strips when installed.
   Fifth point, the removable storage compartments. I love the fact I can pack them up at my work bench, making sure I have everything up front. Also, I have a large gear bag that I load them into along with fins and other stuff.
   The negative points would be, unless you really need the oars, don't buy them. I purchased a glue on mount system for rod holders etc., you can't row with the stuff in stalled. So I don't use the oars.
   Secondly, I wish the bags, compartments, were wider. I had to change my Plano boxes, to wide.
   Third would be the seat, wish it had separate sections when inflating, backrest, seat. The seat is one piece, one valve. You get a leak, no seat, no back rest.
    Hope this helps in your decision making, tight lines,.....GT

Great write up.. Very much appreciated..
I just picked up a Caddis Sport Premier Plus cost me $5.79 after all said and done. but that's because I had gift cards as gift and the $100 sale.. lol
The Savage gear 170 would end up costing me around $1150 in Canada. Definitely a tube I want to pick up once price comes down on my end.

I was wondering about the oars if they've be useful or not when it comes to adding extra accessories..

which glue on rod holders do you have and where did you get them?

thanks
joe

21Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:29 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

[url=/www.railblaza.com]/www.railblaza.com[/url]

Here ya go, not really sold on this product........GT

22Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:53 pm

JoeyBasstard

JoeyBasstard
FTFF Gathering Officer

GT wrote:[url=/www.railblaza.com]/www.railblaza.com[/url]

Here ya go, not really sold on this product........GT

Thanks. Why aren’t you sold on it? Convenience isn’t there? Was looking at the caddis float tube rod holder. Just need something to hold a spinning rod or casting rod. Depends what’s not being used.

23Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:44 pm

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

When you look at their product line you see quality made stuff, great. My problem is with the glue on mounts. You should really study your tube and how it sits in the water with you in it. Tubes tend to fold inward when you get seated. So placement of the mount is crucial. When you have it in your garage, it sits perfect, everything lines up. The Savage has only one spot on each tube to glue on mounts, rod holder, camera, etc. For this reason, if you don't need the oars, don't get them, you have more area for placement of mounts.
Yesterday I built a behind the seat 3 rod holder, net holder for the Savage. Makes it easier to launch when rods are upright and in place. Then as I kick out I can assemble my RailBlaza holders. If your able to leave all the RailBlaza stuff attached then OK, but for me I have to disassemble to transport. Hope this makes sense.......GT

24Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:18 pm

JoeyBasstard

JoeyBasstard
FTFF Gathering Officer

GT wrote:When you look at their product line you see quality made stuff, great. My problem is with the glue on mounts. You should really study your tube and how it sits in the water with you in it. Tubes tend to fold inward when you get seated. So placement of the mount is crucial. When you have it in your garage, it sits perfect, everything lines up. The Savage has only one spot on each tube to glue on mounts, rod holder, camera, etc. For this reason, if you don't need the oars, don't get them, you have more area for placement of mounts.
Yesterday I built a behind the seat 3 rod holder, net holder for the Savage. Makes it easier to launch when rods are upright and in place. Then as I kick out I can assemble my RailBlaza holders. If your able to leave all the RailBlaza stuff attached then OK, but for me I have to disassemble to transport. Hope this makes sense.......GT

makes sense to me. When you glue the holders onto the tube how long does it take to set? I don't have oars and not a problem to sit in the tube and mark a spot and then glue the holders. I have plenty of time to research this. lakes and rivers are 24"+ ice right now.. thanks again for the reply GT.

25Savage Gear 170 Empty Re: Savage Gear 170 Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:54 am

GT

GT
Senior FTFF Member
Senior FTFF Member

Here's the kicker, the mounts have flat bottoms that the adhesive pad attaches to. So their directions are to heat the edges with a heat gun. Heck no...these mounts are sold for inflatables, tubes really...... I believe it takes 48 hours to adhere............GT

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum